Omnistore Fiamma awning - rubber seal

laimeduck

The seal along the top of the awning cassette, to the van is on its last legs - it's probably 10 years old. Other than stopping water dripping down between the van & the awning does this seal do anything else?

We don't generally use the awning when it's raining and don't leave anything out against the van, so I'm wondering if it's best to replace it or remove it? The gap between the cassette & the van is black with built up crud which could be cleaned regularly if it was removed.

I'm minded to get rid of it... unless?

I have always felt it helps to absorb any rattles in the awning box or from the mounting brackets.

When you start to wind in the awning the box bends quite a bit until the tension is overcome on the spring legs. The sealing strips seems to also reduce the bending effect. Also on my van water running of sides of roof does not spread out along the sides of van as it does on other side and all runs off the front so only one set of streaks to clean off now and again rather than streaks all along the side.

For me and my van, I would replace if it was failing, but many do not have a sealing strip which is an optional item.

Archived