Route to Venice (and back)

Stage

Hi,

We are planing on visiting Venice in late April and would welcome some advice on routes and stopovers on the way.

Our plan is to take 5/6 days getting there, a few days in and around Venice and then home via a different route, again taking 5/6 days.

This will be our first excursion onto mainland Europe in our, almost 9m, MH and whilst I have driven large vehicles on the continent quite a bit in the past I am a little apprehensive about finding suitable stopovers. I know a little about Aires and the like and am hoping to use some if only for the experience. We would also like to know of other sites and stopovers that may be worth a visit (even wild camping considered).

Your advice and tips would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Venice was one of our early trips several years ago. We Stayed at a campsite off the island but close to one of the ferry terminals staying for five days. The trip in and out again was almost worth the trip in itself.

How long need to stay depends( and this goes for much of italy)on your interests and culture overload stamina.

We use a mix of Aires and the German equivalent as well as campsites. If its a very touristy area the aires get very crowded at weekends and the often surprisingly small extra expense of a campsite is worthwhile.

Time presses but there will be plenty more adding their pennyworth.

Enjoy.

I'm guessing that at 9 metres you are over 3500Kg thus an HGV. That will mean you will need different arrangements to cross Switzerland & Austria if you go that way. The Swiss details are here:- It's not pricey - about €18 for 5 days or so.

The situation in Italy is somewhat more complicated -You will have to get a Go Box to use the Autobahns - I bit of a palaver I'm told! Search Go Box on this site for tales of Woe!

If you don't use their motorways then you don't need to buy an HGV tax, nor get a Go Box in Austria, but it will extend you journey times AND More importantly in April, some of the Alpine roads may well still be shut and the weather may easily still be snowy. 

Of course you could miss all this by driving down to Nice/Monaco then cross Northern Italy West to East, but that will add on another 500Km.

My motorhome is over 3850Kg and I have used the Swiss vehicle tax system with no problems and stayed off the Austrian autobahns (ie no Go Box) with no problem, but it can be very very slow.

As far as stopovers go - others will give Aires details but also join ACSI, but be prepared for many sites still to be shut at this time of year. (even if the book says they're open!) 

Whatever - do it! ....... but expect to have to change plans. 

I drove to Venice a couple of years ago, through Germany, Austria, and into Italy. Never used a pay motorway once and used aires all the way. Just set the sat nav ( check the map as well!) and go.

Took about 6 days but I am slow and only drive from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm and an hour for lunch :-)

There is lots to do in Germany on the way, and you might make a detour to the Italian lakes. Remember it is cold in Northern Italy in May and there could be snow on the mountain passes, but they are kept clear.

A second vote for the camp site by the ferry to Venice, it can be a bit crowded but you can walk onto the ferry. Get a ticket that allows island hopping, the smaller islands in the lagoon are interesting and almost tourist free compared to Venice.

G

laimeduck - 2016-01-14 9:43 AMI'm guessing that at 9 metres you are over 3500Kg thus an HGV. That will mean you will need different arrangements to cross Switzerland & Austria if you go that way. The Swiss details are here:- It's not pricey - about €18 for 5 days or so.

The situation in Italy is somewhat more complicated -You will have to get a Go Box to use the Autobahns - I bit of a palaver I'm told! Search Go Box on this site for tales of Woe!

If you don't use their motorways then you don't need to buy an HGV tax, nor get a Go Box in Austria, but it will extend you journey times AND More importantly in April, some of the Alpine roads may well still be shut and the weather may easily still be snowy. 

Of course you could miss all this by driving down to Nice/Monaco then cross Northern Italy West to East, but that will add on another 500Km.

My motorhome is over 3850Kg and I have used the Swiss vehicle tax system with no problems and stayed off the Austrian autobahns (ie no Go Box) with no problem, but it can be very very slow.

As far as stopovers go - others will give Aires details but also join ACSI, but be prepared for many sites still to be shut at this time of year. (even if the book says they're open!) 

Whatever - do it! ....... but expect to have to change plans. 

EDIT Above should read " The situation in Austria is somewhat more complicated"  

Not Italy! Sorry ...... senior moment! 

Nurse....where am I?

We've done Venice a couple of times, driving there through Germany and Austria.  Best way into Italy for us was undoubtedly the Reisen Pass which is both achievable in gradient with a big trailer and non-motorway so free.  It is also open in April unless otherwise declared.  Driving through Austria avoiding motorways was perfectly achievable and the GoBox system for larger MHs to use motorways was such a pain I would never do that again.

We stayed at a lovely site at Mals, just 20 miles or so into Italy, which was handy and a stunningly beautiful setting, with level pitches and nice clean facilities.  It made us feel we'd arrived on holiday!

The obvious place to stay for Venice was Camping Fusina (near the ferry terminal) which has some waterside pitches and reasonable facilities.  It's a big, busy site with lots of young folk but we enjoyed it.  Take some big citronella candles to put down by your ankles (rather than on the table) if you want to sit outside!  The ferry tickets are available from Reception and there is a special three days for the price of two.

The approach drive to Camping Fusina is through an industrial/docks area and you get lots of young (and not-so-young) skimpily-dressed ladies standing at the roadside waving to you.  They are not just locals being friendly so keep moving!

This recent thread may help, regarding routes to Venice:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Routes-to-Venice/40280/

Alternatively, search "Italy" and others may be revealed.

When visiting Venice we stayed on the peninsula at Punta Sabbioni at a camper park, only 10 minute walk from the ferry. The ferry only takes about 30 minutes to the centre of Venice. Next to the camper park there is also a campsite.

Archived