Monet gardens

Guest RonB

I am planning to visit Monet gardens at Giverny (Vernon) first week in May. Is this a good time to visit the gardens as it is early in the flowering season. Does anyone know a good campsite near this area with public transport locally.

Guest Norma
We couldn't find a site so we stayed in a layby nearby. There is parking at Giverny for MH's. Though do advise arriving when it opens. The colours are so much better off the water. Enjoy.

Guest Keith T
Hi Ron - I asked this very question and some answers came on the forum in late January - if you do a serch under 'Monet' you will find the links.We also hope to visit in early May, and I think will find a site nearby, if poss and arrive early morning to park for the day. May see you there!!

• 1 year later...
You've been digging deep Michele, this threads nearly two years old and we still haven't made it there yet for one reason or other. Good to see that someone makes use of the search facility though. Have fun.

Hi RonB I took the following information off this forum about two years ago. “Monet’s garden has a free car park suitable for MH’s – a great overnight stop. Ignore the car parks each side of the roundabout. We parked our 7.5m MH right next to the cafes and souvenir shop, free. As you enter Giverny from the NW at the roundabout there is a large car park on the R which we were not allowed into but if you carry on straight down the road about a 100 yards or so take a LHT (its one way) signed to car park – it looks quite narrow but is OK. There is a terraced car park on the R and the top level is used by motorhomes. Its a bit tight but as long as you take your time it is OK. If you go past the above turning there is another one suitable for MHs further down the street”. We have not been to Monet's garden yet - too many other places to go! If you do make use of the information please advise on its accuracy. Regards Cattwg

Ron , cheers for the info no good asking then (lol) we have been awarded a much needed respite week and we have booked for France again the problem is most of the region around St Michaels Mount Arromanches the D day landings we have seen ... have we ..............I say this because usually we have the girls with us and there is only so much we can do with them . I would love to walk on the beaches but we have been limited pushing a wheelchair across it . Arromanches Les Bains the same happened we just about managed to do the high street . So I,m saying we have seen it not wanting to go over & over old things. I suggested Orrador but I think we are both worn out and can't be bothered with the travel at the mo as well as the expence of petrol . Its finding a common denominator that will keep us both happy and make sure that we dont head off to Le Touquet again . So I saw your post because we have never done this and I pulled it back hope you don't mind .... Any suggestions gratefully received any recomendations trying to avoid camp sites for the week skint you see. just over the channel and have a good week but WHERE ?... sugesstions on a post card Please gratefully received

Hi, we went to Monet's garden two years ago, you cannot park on the two big Car Parks in Giverny with a motorhome, but we found out that if you go towards the evening when the day tourists and coaches have gone, you go up to the car park right opposite the entrance to Monets house and souvenier rooms you can go to the top of the car park there and park overnight we stayed two nights (it was the parking attendants at the other car parks who told us to do this), the turn is quite tight but managabe but in the day it is so busy so much better to to it after the day visitors have gone . The village of Giverny up the back road past Monets house is the American Artists garden and a nice little Bistro and a general stores, we found the best thing was to get up early and be first in the queue to get in that way you can see the garden before all the tourist buses arrive, it is well worth the visit, , you can get fresh water there, but that is the only facility, another tip is to get up in the morning befor the day trippers get there and be first in the queue to get in because within half a hour there are many tourist buses there, we found on our second day to make straight for the Japanese Bridge with the Whisterea and lily pond it really is beautiful, but in that first half hour you can see it without dozens on people on it. It is really worth going to see it, if Iv'e missed anything off please ask and I'll try and help. Carol.

Hi, Visited Giverny in May 2 years ago. The gardens were superb and guess they are pretty good most of the time. There is plenty of parking if you arrive early in the day but not too sure if there is an aire de repos nearby. We camped at a site in Vernon (Camping Municipal Les Fosses Rouges) which is only a short drive away on the other side of the river. I believe there is a aire de Repos nearby that site but I never found it.

Went 8 years ago, interesting to see but very busy, later in day parked up at quite spot next to seine for late lunch, that was much more to my liking untill we where overwhelmed by paparatzi taking photo's of someone on a boat

Thanks you all for that . can I ask Is it free ? I think not the gardens? Also someone said there is so much to see so they did not make it to the gardens . Is there lots to do in this area I wouldn't mind going and spending the week in Normandy have never been before so really looking for any suggestion on a weeks Circle trip and back to the shuttle. What else is there if you don't mind helping Cheers

Places to visit might be - Naours - underground village, just N of Amiens; Amiens - superb cathedral and old city - good aire 17kms SSE at Conty; Rouen-old city, Joan of Arc connection-aire in the city is ok for a night but a bit noisy; Compiègne - old palace - very moving 1st WW museum at the armistice carriage just outside in the forest; Pierrefonds super old castle, rebuilt by Violet-le-Duc when he was practicing for Carcassonne. If you want, there are always the battlefilds of Crécy and Agincourt not far from the route to Abbeville from the Tunnel. Brian

Archived