Solar Surprise

rambling robin

Although we've had our van since September I've not looked at the roof before. Puzzled by the amount of water that seems to gather up there - and concerned about it freezing with the lower temps - I thought I'd take a look.

Lo and behold there's a solar panel measuring 150cm by 20cm up there. There's a wire connecting it to something and my guess is that it is connected to the leisure battery under the cab floor passenger side. Hence the slight dip in the roof from the weight.

I've no information about it at all - the document bag came with just about everything else. The dealer details didn't mention it either!

Obviously a bonus but I've no idea what it is rated at. As far as I know I have a single leisure battery, so it could be anywhere from 40W upwards.

I have looked at various sites the offer to help calculate the size panel you need but it doesn't seem to translate to physical size.

As the van is 2012 reg I guess the panel is the same vintage.

So, first question is whether any more knowledgeable members can suggest a way of finding out the rating from the size?

Second - if the van is off EHU would the sockets automatically drop to supplying 12volts? Is there a way to test this - other than plugging something in - I'd rather not blow anything in the process.

Thanks

Robin

Hi, my guess, and it is only a guess, that the surprise panel might just be about 40 watts, possibly up to 6o watts. We had an old one years ago as a free standing unit for the caravan, and from poor memory it was about the size you mention..

if you follow the wires down heading for the battery, I would expect them to pass through a block or connector of some sort which hopefully is a regulator, but depending on panel power out from panel, it might be so low that it is connected direct to battery.

our earliest panel was only a six watt device so was simply connected direct to battery.

to test the panel output, simply disconnect one of the leads at the battery end and check the current output using a multimeter on amp ranges flowing into or out of the leisure battery.get an auto electrician to do this if you are unsure. In midday sun at this time of year I would expect a current into battery at best around 2 amps from a panel of the size you describe..

regarding sockets, off hookup they will be dead, and are never connected to 12 volts assuming you mean the 3 pin domestic type sockets.

12 volt sockets will be 12 volt 2 pin connectors, either cigarette lighter type, or one of a number of 2 pin caravan type but never connected to mains voltages..

in tbe paperwork that came with the van is there any clue regarding the panel, or can you ask the dealer to check it for you.

tonyg3nwl

This time of year, at mid day bright sun in Cornwall, a 100w panel will generally output around 1amp. I would expect a 40w panel to provide less than 0.5 amps in the same location/conditions?

The same panels in the same conditions but in Northern Scotland would probably deliver 28% less?

So the output from a 40w Panel may not be measurable this time of year on a dull day?

You might be better waiting for a sunny day in Spring before you start doing any tests?.

In mid June a 40w Panel might output 1.7 amps on a sunny day, in Cornwall with a good regulator?

Thanks to all for the various and very useful snippets of info and ideas.

There's some sort of (inaccessible) box in series under the panel on the roof. The lead then goes to another aero shaped box which is where it enters the roof. I think I have found a cable running out just behind the cab bulkhead which then runs forward to the battery. There's a wooden box behind the passenger seat - matching one behind the driver with master trip switch. The one behind the passenger has a wooden panel held in by 2 screws - maybe I'll find more under there.

Provided it is at least a 40W panel then it will do the job in the pretty unlikely event that we're off hookup and stationary for more than a couple of days at showgrounds. :-D

• 2 months later...
rambling robin - 2016-01-14 5:31 PM

There's a wire connecting it to something and my guess is that it is connected to the leisure battery under the cab floor passenger side.

If it's a sevel van the battery under the floor on passenger side is the Van battery not the leisure battery.

Archived