Advance Passenger Information ( API )

hallii

A new level of bureaucracy has been introduced, at least on the tunnel API.

What's wrong with scanning my passport? It has just cost me £72 to renew it but now it isn't good enough.

You have to fill in the API so Border Control know you are coming 8-)

Unless you are a migrant of course then you just walk in and declare you have no papers but you want asylum.

What a pain in the &%£*.

H

I've no problems with this.....can I still wear my full Burka and will I be checked by a male border officer instead of a female one? B-)

Why can't Eurotunnel and the ferry companies just pass on the information when they receive your booking? What will happen if you are a foot passenger and just turn up on a spot booking?

Dave

The requirement for UK ports and airports to carry out exit checks only became mandatory on 1 April 2015.

How the requirement is being met will depend on what booking/security-related systems ports and airports already have in place, and the approach EuroTunnel has adopted is described on their website. Basically, once a traveller has made a booking, the required API data are added to it. This arrangement makes a lot of sense as a tried and tested booking system can remain essentially unaltered, with the API system ‘bolted on’ to the existing booking system or running parallel to it. It’s less complicated and less problematical to have a ‘two stage’ approach than to revise the booking system to integrate the provision of API.

Regarding "What will happen if you are a foot passenger and just turn up on a spot booking?” this seems to be answered by the EuroTunnel website’s statement

"If you do not supply your passenger information in advance of travelling, you may be stopped at check-in and asked to add your API to your booking before continuing on your journey."

I filled in our APInin September no problems, I have been through the tunnel 12 times since.Last time was on A coach. They make the coach park up and everyone on board had to get off and have thier passport Scanned, you where then allowed to enter the terminal building.There Where queues at border cabins as somen had not filled in thier API.

nowtelse2do - 2016-01-20 10:53 PM

I've no problems with this.....can I still wear my full Burka and will I be checked by a male border officer instead of a female one? B-)

Why can't Eurotunnel and the ferry companies just pass on the information when they receive your booking? What will happen if you are a foot passenger and just turn up on a spot booking?

Dave

What you need to be aware of is, whereas airlines and cross border trains are in the business of moving people, so their details are readily available to the authorities. Ferries and shuttle trains carrying cars etc are in the business of moving vehicles, and now they have to better collect people information and share that with the authorities for everybody's safety. Simples.

Archived