Clutch info

chello

I rremember a post a few weeks ago asking about a problem when the clutch did not come back to normal position,i am finding that my clutch does not slip tends to drag,making it haed to engage first and reverse, you get the feeling the pedal should go further down.I considered adjusting the cable but if its the slave cylinder that would be no aagood.I recall Nick F saying some slave cylinders are in clutch housing Any ideas welcome,thanks Chello

Tracker - 2016-01-20 4:42 PM

It all depends.

As telepathy skills are sadly in absentia, we will needto know the make, model, engine size and year of your naughty little base vehicle.

Year 2000 Bessacarr E425 with normally-aspirated 2.8litre motor.

For that specification I’d guess a cable-operated clutch, but I’m sure Nick will know.

Derek stated what I foolishly did not,2.8 non turbo year 2000,i wish it was carpet, first thing checked.From replies it should be ok to adjust cable,i realise this only alters position pedal operates.will up date when I try it many thanks

It's been a year or three since I had one of they but as I recall the cable adjustment should be so that thereis very little slack in the cable which translates into a very small pedal travel before the weight of the clutch springs can be felt.

If your pedal is not returning properly maybe it is as simple as a sticking cable and if you disconnect it you should be able to slide the inner cable easily up and down. If it still sticks after lubrication maybe the cable is damaged or the inner frayed.

In any case at 16 years old it does not owe you much so it may be easier to just replace the cable and be done with it.

Archived