Santander to Calahonda

Tea Cup

Google gives a timing of 9hr 40 or so for this journey, we are landing at 12-ish so am proposing to stop at ACSI site in Madrid in early evening (4.5 hours, it says), then continue next day. Travelling at 60 plus in a camper van next month, weather permitting. Is this reasonable timing?

There are at least two ACSI sites in/nr Madrid - Aranjuez to the South and the site in the Picos to the North. If your intended destination is Aranjuez there is no way you will get there in 4.5 hrs. I always stop at the ACSI site in Burgos and take it from there.

Mike88 - 2016-01-21 10:04 PMThere are at least two ACSI sites in/nr Madrid - Aranjuez to the South and the site in the Picos to the North. If your intended destination is Aranjuez there is no way you will get there in 4.5 hrs. I always stop at the ACSI site in Burgos and take it from there.
That's precisely the info I was after, thanks for that.

From Burgos to the coast is possible the next day, do you think?

Tea Cup - 2016-01-21 10:18 PM
Mike88 - 2016-01-21 10:04 PMThere are at least two ACSI sites in/nr Madrid - Aranjuez to the South and the site in the Picos to the North. If your intended destination is Aranjuez there is no way you will get there in 4.5 hrs. I always stop at the ACSI site in Burgos and take it from there.
That's precisely the info I was after, thanks for that.

From Burgos to the coast is possible the next day, do you think?

The first thing to bear in mind is that if the boat arrives at 12 you may not disembark until 1PM as unloading can be time consuming. You may be lucky but maybe not. Then you have to get through the dock and that takes another 15 minutes before you are on your way. It took me a day and one half to get from Burgos to Cabopino nr Marbella and I thought that was pushing it. It's over 500 miles and the roads, while good, are not always quick as part of the route is mountainous and I sense you are in a hurry but I would strongly advise that you take it more slowly if you are unfamiliar with the roads. You can see the speed limits on the route planner on the via michelin site.Alternatively you could drive to the site at La Cabrera North of Madrid (it used to be in the ACSI book but unsure now) on day 1 as that will give you a better chance of making progress but it's still a long way to Calahonda from there.

As Mike says, Burgos to the coast is really a day and a half's drive. I go every year to the Malaga area and after Burgos (or aire at Palencia) I then stop at Sant Elena (ACSI site) on the A4 before the road splits for Cordoba and Granada. (For my side of Malaga I take Granada but guess you would take Cordoba).

John

Again, thanks for that, it's very useful. Never having driven across Spain I had no real idea how long it would take. Since we normally take breaks, and the quality of roads and traffic have so much bearing on time taken, I find the guide times on these web sites or sat navs have little bearing on the time taken. We are not really in a hurry, except we are going there initially to meet friends before they return to the UK. It does seem that 2 stops will be necessary, so those potential locations are also useful.

Archived