Motorbike carrier

robert

Hi, any advice appreciated. I have a Chausson A67 motorhome (24ft.) and would like to carry a motorcycle. I have occasionally seen motorhomes equipped with a fixed rack and bike. Where can I obtain and have one of these fitted? Also any knowledge of suitable motorbikes would be usefull. What sort of price shouild I expect to pay for the carrier and fitting? Cheers, Robert

Robert Have you worked out what weight you can carry on the rear of your motorhome? You'll need to work out the weight of a bike, plus carrier plus the additional weight the leverage will add to it depending on how far back from the rear axle it sits. Then take the rear axle loading figure and compare it to the total weight and see if you have any payload left. Of course you may already have done this but if not ... :-S

As I mentioned to an earlier questioner; you will not have enough payload or rear axle capacity so before proceeding and possibly wasting your money and putting the van in an illegal state pay a visit to the local weighbridge. Remember that the weight of the bike plus the rack will be approximately doubled at the rear axle because of the leverage effect.

Another thing to remember is that it would take a lot of weight off the front axle and you could well be below the manufacturers recommended minimum with consequential loss of grip on the front wheels, a big problem with front wheel drive on wet grass or mud. Under these circumstances it is necessary to lower the front wheel tyre pressures to around 45 to 50 psi for touring. Phil.

Thanks to all who have responded, your comments greatly appreciated. I'll go for a trailer, then I can get a decent sized bike for a bit of touring around, and be ok driving the M Home. On reflection I can't beleive the places i've taken the M Home...tesco car parks for shopping etc! and narrow roads..on a prayer! Cheers :-)

Archived