A Frame Cars and MOT

Budgie823

I'm not wishing to start another thread on the subject of towing with an A frames but, as I am probably about to commit to getting one, am seeking some confidence on the subject of the MOT once the modification has been carried out. I am advised that there is no problem providing the towing eyes are removed at the time of inspection but would very much appreciate any personal experiences before I make my final decision.

Many thanks.

Mine is a Car-a-tow standard tow frame, fitted to a 60 plate Yaris, this does not use the towing eyes, but has a fixed bar fitted low down on the car front. The car is used every day at home, it has been through 3 MOT 's since the drawbar was fitted. It has passed every time with no recommendations. In short, no worries.

Both car and motor home are insured fully comprehensively through the Caravan club, car is fully comp. Even when being towed. Ray

Thanks Ray. Regarding the insurance issue, I have noted your own comments on the subject on previous threads and will be contacting the Caravan Club and will most likely insure both vehicles with them, assuming of course the price is right! Cheers, Ian.

The modification must be declared to your insurance company. Should you hit a pedestrian or cyclist I suspect the Police might take a close look at any solid metal protrusions, might be best to remove any tow eyes before driving it on the road.

H

hallii - 2016-01-25 5:54 PM

The modification must be declared to your insurance company. Should you hit a pedestrian or cyclist I suspect the Police might take a close look at any solid metal protrusions, might be best to remove any tow eyes before driving it on the road.

H

I agree with both points and will certainly be removing the eyes at all times before driving the vehicle, whether this be a legal requirement or not.

Budgie823 - 2016-01-25 3:42 PM

I'm not wishing to start another thread on the subject of towing with an A frames but, as I am probably about to commit to getting one, am seeking some confidence on the subject of the MOT once the modification has been carried out. I am advised that there is no problem providing the towing eyes are removed at the time of inspection but would very much appreciate any personal experiences before I make my final decision.

Many thanks.

I would agree, but when I recently turned up with towing eyes in place and asked the tester did he want them removed, he said no.

B-)

hallii - 2016-01-25 5:54 PM

H

To remove my drawbar would mean dismantling the front of the car, So, no I don't remove it before driving it around, it gets through the MOT, and is certainly no more dangerous than a a front mounted A- bar, which are still legal, unlike bull- bars which are illegal. Many 4x4s etc., drive around with front mounted winches, front mounted tow bars etc.,etc. I drive mainly in a very rural area.....think tractors, ploughs, combine harvesters etc., I never drive in cities, unless I am forced to.

As for Insurance, of course the fact that the vehicle is being converted to be towed behind a motor home MUST be declared. I found it easier to insure both Motor home and car with the same company, going into great detail that I wanted fully comprehensive insurance for the car, even when being towed.

Archived