Parking at Seaford seafront Sussex

Will H

A visit today shows the rules as fairly basic. There is around 1 mile of the seafront available to park and walk. At the western end there are lined bays. At the eastern end its gravel with no bays marked. Fishing is mostly at the western end. Cliff walking from the eastern end. A few M/H's were parked today 28 Jan, plus some commercial vans, all were over 2.1 Metres. (6.889 feet). No proposed building or parking changes were seen. In past years when it was stormy the road would be covered in pebbles. Today it was windy enough when walking for me to blown sideways and against a parked car.

I'm now away to Dieppe for 12 months +.

PS The image marked 2321 is at the western end, the wide walkway seen here extends to the cliffs in the distance at least 1 mile.

Will 86

IMG_2319.JPG.69736529399b33cbe8a4be7938fb11a3.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG.e4334a8eb68a97625af22142afe397cf.JPG

East.JPG.7d7a057662130b231c1afc89145ea2be.JPG

That's unbelievable!!! ( at a time we tell you not to) we! we? Who are these people. Me thinks the power has gone to there head. A bit like Mrs Thatchers announcement "We have had a grandson" is that the royal "we" I wonder. I suppose it's all down to egos. All a bit silly. Ordinary people, middle and working class are given a little bit of power because the people in real control know, given time that they will be at each other's throats, squabbling and fighting which takes attention away from the real villains laughing at the small mindedness of it all with their snouts in the trough.

I can understand the council not wanting overnight parking on the Seafront, but putting in such tight height restrictions, even for day time parking is very unfair and discriminatory. If we (motorhomers) were an ethnic group we could appeal against it on human rights grounds.

Question, my wife is disabled and has a blue badge, if we park on Seaford seafront in a vehicle over 2.1 metres high and 5.5 metres long, but displaying a blue badge, are we breaking any laws ? Bearing in mind that we are allowed to park on double yellow lines with the blue badge. ?

keninpalamos - 2016-01-31 11:59 AM

The person to ask IMO would be Andy Strangway and no matter what you think of the chap he does approach problems in a democratic way which some councils seem to forget that we are suppose to be a democratic country and not a dictatorship ruling by fear.

I thought that councils were elected by local people, whose views they then represent. Isn't that democracy?

Muswell - 2016-01-31 12:07 PM

The person to ask IMO would be Andy Strangway and no matter what you think of the chap he does approach problems in a democratic way which some councils seem to forget that we are suppose to be a democratic country and not a dictatorship ruling by fear.

I thought that councils were elected by local people, whose views they then represent. Isn't that democracy My point was/is that even democratic councils are not above the law and should carry out their duties and procedures within the law. You can't have double standards with the public expected to obey the law and councils breaking and bending the law to get their own way for what ever reason.

Muswell - 2016-01-31 12:07 PM

I thought that councils were elected by local people, whose views they then represent. Isn't that democracy?

Seaford is also a tourist destination area, and as such should have consideration for drivers of ALL types of vehicles who might arrive,and wish to park ? Heaven forbid, we might even spend some of our money in the town (if we can find somewhere to park). I also live in a coastal town, with a ferry port, if our local council put in such punitive local parking restrictions, local traders would make sure they were not in power for long.

All power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. (dont know who I am quoting, but it sounds apt for the occasion).

John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton, KCVO, DL (10 January 1834 – 19 June 1902)—known as Sir John Dalberg-Acton, 8th Baronet from 1837 to 1869 and usually referred to simply as Lord Acton—was an English Catholic historian, politician, and writer. He was the only son of Sir Ferdinand Dalberg-Acton, 7th Baronet[1] and a grandson of the Neapolitan admiral Sir John Acton, 6th Baronet.[2][3] He is perhaps best known for the remark, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."[4] This idea has been tested in laboratory settings.[5]

Hi,

I can add a little bit - My wife and I took a drive along the South coast in the car, she's quite severely disabled and mostly wheel chair bound, this was prior to taking delivery of our Motorhome, part of our aim was to determine where we might park for the night, as close to the sea as possible (but not too close) http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile.gif when we had our van

We were dismayed to find almost every car park along a 20 mile stretch signed as No Overnight stops, a fair number had height restrictions as well that we wouldn't get under, - Quite a few that could be accessed did have motor homes parked in them but it looked as if these were "visitors" - parked up for maybe a cuppa or a dog walk and then off.

We did find some Caravan club or Camping Club CS sites nearby and checked them out - These looked good but they were a little inland. - Really felt that there was something against tourists in motor homes after seeing so many signs.

I am also a Borough Councillor in the Thames Valley, less of a tourist centre for sure - I raised the matter in our locality with Officers, there is one local car park were motorhomes may park on the edge of Reading adjacent to the Park and Ride - without height restriction although no overnighting, this is due to be built upon at some time in the future. - The reply was that these restrictions are in place to keep travellers away and that there was plenty of on-street parking. - totally disagree with that later point, - getting a 6.75 mtr van into an on street parking slot would challenge most of us. - At least there is one accessible spot for now.

The major concern is traveller incursions - Of which we do have an ongoing issue, -

Might be good to meet with Seaford Council, point out that tourists do spend money locally, and try to understand the issues from their point of view. :-)

Tall_Mike - 2016-01-31 4:38 PM

...Might be good to meet with Seaford Council, point out that tourists do spend money locally, and try to understand the issues from their point of view. :-)

There is another, slightly earlier thread about motorhome parking at Seaford

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Parking-at-Seaford-seafront-Sussex/40707/

and it would have been much more logical if that discussion had been continued rather than this separate one initiated.

As I understand the situation (based on what is said on the other thread) the restrictions relating to parking at Seaford’s Esplanade have been ‘driven’ more at County Council level than by the Seaford town council.

Archived