Truma combi help required!!!

Smooth

Hi all

Hoping one of you clever people can help here. Have an autotrail Cherokee 2011 fitted with a truma combi system.

Been out to MH this afternoon to check everything over for a planned trip out and no heating!!!!!!

No LED lights are coming on either of the control knobs.

New to motor homing so if anyone as any ideas I would really appreciate it. I may have not done something so simple so please any ideas welcome.

Cheers all

As your motorhome is 2011-vintage and its Truma “Combi” has two controls (Power Selector Switch and Control Panel) the Operating Instructions on the following link should apply

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34020_29300.pdf

There is trouble-shooting advice on Page 18 of the Operating Instructions, and the symptoms you have described come under the second Fault mentioned there

FAULT - After switching on (winter and summer operation) none of the LEDs are lit.

The CAUSES suggested are

– No operating voltage.

– Device fuse or vehicle fuse defective.

and checking and RECTIFICATION would involve

– Check 12 V battery voltage, charge if necessary.

– Check all electrical plug connections.

– Check the unit or vehicle fuse and replace if necessary (see fuses).

I’m not Auto-Trail-literate, but it’s commonplace for a Truma heater to operate only if a switch/button on the motorhome’s main control-panel is turned “On”.

So I suggest you start by turning On all the switches on your motorhome’s main control-panel, make sure those switches' little lights are illuminated, and then see if the Combi will respond. If the heater still stays ‘dead’, check that the Combi’s Power Selector Switch is set to its “d” (gas) setting and then try turning on the heater again.

Logically your heater is not receiving 12V power and this may be because of something you’ve done (or not done) or it may be a genuine fault like a fuse having failed. There are fuses on the Combi heater itself and there will be a fuse somewhere protecting the 12V supply to the heater.

The first thing to do, though, is to try to get the LEDs on the heater’s Control Panel to illuminate by proceding systematically. No point in looking for a blown fuse if it’s just a switch that’s Off that’s causing the problem.

(The operating principles of Combi E heaters can be ‘mysterious’, so start by reading the Auto-Trail Owner Handbook and the Truma Operating Instructions carefully.)

Thanks Derek for your response. It really is appreciated.

Going to have another look around today.

I did check all the control panel yesterday and went through all the fuses and still no lights!!!!.

The problem with the manuals is they are not the most clear!!! For example it mentions fuses but then it's not clear which fuse runs the heating system!!! However I have gone through all of them and all fine.

Also checked the fuse on the boiler and also looks fine.

I'm sure it's either something very simple that I've not got too yet or its is totally dead.

Again I really appreciate you taking the time to respond

Cheers

as its an autotrail, its likely that youll have a sargent PSU like we had in our bolero.....this has a button for 'heater' and another for 'water heater' which may need pressing.....i thought they were inly needed for using the combi on ehu, you dont say if this is what youre trying, or you are using gas.....

Thanks all for the replies.

Trying to run it on electric whilst van is plugged in.

Been out again this morning and checked everything.

No button on main control board for heater. Also checked all connections including behind the actual controls and all secure.

On the actual Sargent control unit there is a button for the space heater which is lit and working but stil it seems no power going to the actual heating controls (2 knobs)

All was fine when last used it but now nothing.

ok, time to see if it works on gas only.....to check if its just an 'electrica operation' issue....

ps....just had a thought.....check any of the 240v sockets in the van to ensure that 'mains power' is actually getting into the van......if it isnt, your heater wont work.....

also, check the 12v supply at the same time as the heater needs 12v for the fan to work.....

Cheers will do

Am I being thick here but all the lights are working in the van so wouldn't that show that the 240 or 12 v is working?

What I mean is all the lights are working when van is plugged in and just running on leisure battery?

Like I've said previously it was all new to us this, last year so still not sure how everything work.

Cheers again

You said earlier that you checked the fuse fitted to the heater itself.

This implies that accessing your heater is straightforward and, as you’ve been able to get at the heater’s 12V fuse, It’s fair to assume that you should be able to test (with a multimeter) that there’s a ‘live’ 12V supply at the heater.

If the heater is receiving 12V and no LEDs are illuminating when you play about with its controls, then the problem lies with the heater. If the heater is not receiving 12V, then you’ll need to find out why that is.

as derek says, you can check the 12v supply to the heater with a meter, but with the lights on it looks like you have 12v in the van....

however, this may not signify that you have mains.....lights work from a 12v battery supply if no mains.

so, plug into a 240 socket to check that the ehu is passing through the PSU and into the van....

Hi all

Again thanks for your help. Off out again tomorrow to go through all of your suggestions one last time before booking the van in. Just one last question I promise. Sat and gone through all the manuals again tonight and I'm the autotrail manual where its describing the heating system it states the following .....

Truma Combi 4E / Truma Combi 6E

The Combi E Gas Heater is a warm air heater with an integrated hot water boiler. The unit can operate on liquid gas (LPG) or 230V mains electricity. The heater can be used in ‘Winter’ mode that will produce warm air heating and hot water, and ‘summer’ mode that will produce hot water only.

Before operating the heater for the first time ensure that the 12V system is turned ‘ON’ on the control panel over the doorway, and that the gas cylinder, and isolation valve are turned on.

To use the heater on 230V the Motorhome

must be plugged into the mains supply, with

the isolation switch in the ‘ON’ position.

Now I did say I could have missed something really simple BUT what and where is the isolation switch that I'm suppose to turn ON ?????

The ‘isolation switch’ is probably the RCD switch on the motorhome’s consumer-unit that handles the 230V power supply to mains socket outlets, fridge and heater.

HOWEVER I strongly suggest you forget 230V because it is clearly clouding the issue.

If you reread my earlier posting of 30 January 2016 9:12 AM you’ll see that I advised

“...start by turning On all the switches on your motorhome’s main control-panel, make sure those switches' little lights are illuminated, and then see if the Combi will respond. If the heater still stays ‘dead’, check that the Combi’s Power Selector Switch is set to its “d” (gas) setting and then try turning on the heater again.”

I deliberately said “...check that the Combi’s Power Selector Switch is set to its “d” (gas) setting and then try turning on the heater again” because operating the heater on gas is conceptually the simplest way to operate it.

If you try to operate a Combi E on 230V and (for some reeason or other) there’s no 230V power-supply, the heater may appear ‘dead’.

If you try to operate a Combi E on gas, even if there’s no gas-supply, as long as the heater’s 12V supply is OK some LEDs SHOULD still illuminate.

bolero boy - 2016-02-01 11:31 AM

if no lights at all come on when you try with gas only, it sounds like there is no 12v getting to the unit.?

perhaps a voltmeter would help.....this was where the fuse was broken, wasnt it?

I can’t find anything in this thread to indicate that a “fuse was broken” - in fact Smooth’s posting of 30 January 2016 10:11 AM says exactly the opposite.

If 12V power is reaching the heater and the heater’s on-board fuse is OK and the heater is set to gas-only operation, the heater’s control-panel should react when the heater is switched on.

If the heater is set to gas-only operation, but 12V power is not reaching the heater, or 12V power is reaching the heater but the heater’s on-board fuse is defective, the heater’s control-panel will not react when the heater is switched on.

Yes, it could easily be that, or a mouse might have chewed through the cable between the heater and the control-panel, or every LED on the control-panel might have failed since the heater was last used. But it essentially boils down to what I said in my yesterday’s posting:

"If the heater is receiving 12V and no LEDs are illuminating when you play about with its controls, then the problem lies with the heater. If the heater is not receiving 12V, then you’ll need to find out why that is."

• 2 weeks later...

Well boys and girls...

I thought I'd bring you up to date with the trauma of my truma!!!!

Having tried everything that people had kindly suggested unfortunately nothing worked. Got the MH booked into the dealer last week (for the week) and picked it up today. Apparently it was a faulty fan!!...wait for it!!! . So a 90 mile round trip and a day of work I finally get my MH back home and on the drive. Whilst making a cuppa I think to myself I'll now carry on with getting the MH ready for a trip... A bit chilly out there so I'll stick the heater on!!! MH plugged in lights on panel come on, fan starts to move ... ... Then stop!! Red LED come on and now the heater is throwing a fault code up!!!! So......I've gone from no lights at all to a big Red LED!!!

In my posting of 30 January 2016 9:12 AM I provided the following link to the Truma Operating Instructions that should relate to Smooth’s heater

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34020_29300.pdf

The Instructions have a trouble-shooting list (Page 19) and this describes the ‘fault codes’ that a “Combi” heater can produce. A heater starting to run and then stopping after about 30 seconds with the red light illuminated is said to indicate (as JohnP surmises) a gas-supply fault or a problem with the combustion air inlet/exhaust outlet. But, as Smooth’s heater is apparently flashing a fault-code, the problem may be something else and the fault-code sequence SHOULD assist in identifying the problem.

Archived