Ducato or not Ducato

b9k9uk

Hi New Kid on the Block here

I spent last evening chuckling my way through Chatterbox then this morning came reality. I'm looking for advice, currently me and OH hire motorhomes as required, which is once a year for a about a month and for odd days/weekends we've got the boot of the car a bit like Boot Kampa with a pull out section for cooker all of which fills the boot space not leaving a lot of room for anything else. We supplement accommodation with a tent.

So the Lord of Time is calling me for the big 65 and we have decided to buy. We have short listed several budget brands (well one actually) the Trigano Tribute can't decide on 669 or 670 at the mo and now I see they've introduced a 680 (more decisions!).

All of which are panel van conversions, the use of said van for a daily runabout is necessary, essential even. Hence not favouring coach-built.

So we decided to tow a caravan with Tribute 669,670 or 680, 'cos there is not a lot of room in van conversions is there, a Bailey Pursuit 550-4 is on the short list (we have very short short lists!). Idea being to park up somewhere and use caravan as base and motor home as touring.

Questions: Can't seem to find a definitive road test report of Fiat Ducato only horror stories of control panel lights working to a schedule only they know. Does anyone know if report exists?

Question: Towing with a Ducato, has anyone done so before would like to share their experience? How does the Ducato cope, is front wheel drive and advantage or disadvantage for towing?

Sorry to be long winded but we would like to have things in place this summer if possible.

I don't dislike Ducatos / Boxers as once sorted the older ones particularly make good vans, easy to drive and reasonable to own, but there is no way on this Earth that I would ever order or buy a new one and given Fiat's questionable electrics, electronics, fuel systems and their legendary aftercare I am amazed that anyone ever does! Still, on the plus side I do rely on a good supply of low mileage, well cared for used vans to keep me, and many others on here, happy!

Why not consider a two to five year old one where some other unlucky bu@@er has gotten all the issues sorted and borne the brunt of the depreciation - it works very well for me - and better still no latest Euro whatever gobbledegook emmisions lies and abominations!

And try and buy local so that any issues are easier to get resolved not involving hundreds of miles in round trips.

Tracker,

I was chuckling at you last night!

Salutary advice I'm sure, taking your second point first one of the reasons I'm choosing Tribute (apart from the price) is that the dealer is very local.

On the first point why buy new, simply put it is ego, worked hard all my life and never owned a new motor, thought now would be the best chance of doing so!

As to everyone buying Fiats is it because that most of the better conversions are on them?

Thanks for the reply.

A Ducato makes an good tow vehicle, but then most vans do.

If I was considering going down that route, a MWB size van would be the biggest i'd want, or even a VW transporter sized van, This would make much more sense as a daily runaround.

Fair points Roger and I would not wish you to miss out on the joy of a brand spanking shiny new motor - I've had enough over the years and the novelty and the cost has long since worn off - as does the newness with the next change of registration plate number!

We paid around 35k for a four year old van that was 56k when it was new - one careful owner, 3000 miles only, full history and even spoke to the original supplying dealer who confirmed all the history for me.

My reason - saved more than enough to buy ourselves a nice boat for the Rivers Severn & Avon!

I hope it works out for you and will keep my fingers crossed!!

Tracker - 2016-02-01 8:06 PM

Fair points Roger and I would not wish you to miss out on the joy of a brand spanking shiny new motor - I've had enough over the years and the novelty and the cost has long since worn off - as does the newness with the next change of registration plate number!

!

Rich

Not only have I said that enough times to drivers I am supervising but it sounds just like OH when I'm going to do something I shouldn't. You're right of course.... just not what I want hear right now :-D

colin - 2016-02-01 8:02 PM

A Ducato makes an good tow vehicle, but then most vans do.

If I was considering going down that route, a MWB size van would be the biggest i'd want, or even a VW transporter sized van, This would make much more sense as a daily runaround.

Colin

Lack of standing room puts me off, walk-in loo and shower are high on the need to have list. VW still won't get into the local multi-story. Neither will the Ducato I know but the Ducato gotta a walk-in loo.

Thanks for the reply.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-01 8:14 PM

I've towed a car behind my Ducato (2012) for a couple of years now, you really don't notice that it is towing anything, the engine is the 150 bhp one.

Ray

Thanks for the feedback.

I just have to ask, why do you tow a car?

Hi, OK lets look at the facts. I own a 150bhp globecar, which is fiat based. Its a 2014 plate. and so far I have put 20,000 miles on it. so far I have had one wiring fault, which was due to a cable rubbing on a tie. fiat fixed this in a day, no cost to me. I have had the oil and filters changed at 5,000 miles and at 15,000 miles at my local garage at 140 pounds per service using fiat parts and good oil. I drive the van most days and it returns around 32mpg average. I had a towbar fitted last year at a cost of 165 pounds, and have towed a car trailer for a mate which was around 2 tons all up. and yes the van knows its towing, it will do it, but it knows and the speed drops a lot on any hills.I tow a smaller 750kg trailer with my live steam locomotives in and that's ok, but there again I cant drive faster then 50mph.

OK, its not a car, sometime its a pain to park, but its useful. the twin beds lift up and to the side and I have lots of space to use as a van if I wish. whatever you buy will have faults. I looked at the tribute, but wanted the twin single beds, worth the money. yes because it covers ground faster the a larger motorhome, yes because I use it a lot more then the larger motorhome. no because being based on a normal panel van, the value drops like a stone. buy one, enjoy it and use it. michael

b9k9uk - 2016-02-01 8:34 PM

Rayjsj - 2016-02-01 8:14 PM

I've towed a car behind my Ducato (2012) for a couple of years now, you really don't notice that it is towing anything, the engine is the 150 bhp one.

Ray

Thanks for the feedback.

I just have to ask, why do you tow a car?

My van is a fairly large one, 7.6 metres, and in the UK with all of it's punitive parking rules, aimed at motorhomes. We decided it was more convenient to take our car with us. My missus is disabled so, bikes and scooters are out, as is walking any distance. The A-frame solved our mobility problems.

Interesting thread.

We have just bought a van and it's Ducato based, - It seems that 2/3rds of all new motorhomes sold now are and Ducato are really going for the motorhome scene with vengeance, - probably offering substantial discounts to motorhome builders.

There are 1000's of the blighters trundelling around Europe delivering stuff in various forms, taking builders to site etc and they do it pretty well, and if the van goes go belly up, white van man isn't going to get to his tea and pay packet.

Where they may fall down a bit is that Motorhome owners don't do the mileage or give them the use they really need, heavy weights, short distances - these vans need regular and long distance use. As is usual everybody complains when they have a problem - and occasionally there are horrendous problems were one thinks omg,- but taking into account the volume on the road out there, - go for it.

Ours is third or 4 generation Fiat - latest X290 130bhp - Comfortmatic - the vans do have their weak spots - the water drips onto electrics,, earth straps, wiring chafing, dash panel lights, however I feel confident after talking to our local Fiat truck dealership that they they know these vehicles well and can fix them - which doesn't happen all that often anyway, and it's relatively to cheap to fix if it needs it, - major parts excepted.

Go forth a flog the van in reasonable confidence, (as much as is sensible for a MH) it needs it - My thoughts anyway.

Any vehicle can be a pain in the rear - struggling with my Saab at the moment

Like many others we have a Ducato based panel van conversion. Again, probably like others it was the layout, and in my case, the option of an automatic that defined the choice. It is only very recently that Ford have decided the camper market is worth looking at with any seriousness, so maybe in time they will take a bigger share. The other main factor in favour of the Ducato and its Sevel stablemates, is the body shape which allows a cross bed at the rear and therefore gives more space per se. The one advantage of having so many around is the availability of spares and bits and pieces.

Yes, there are instances of problems, but of course you only hear about the bad ones. Hopefully if you decide to buy one, it gives you the satisfaction you desire. Yes, it can be used as an everyday vehicle, but with limitations. Going to supermarkets with large carparks are fine but trying to park in a town centre may be a lot more tricky. Height barriers and small parking bays will crop up more often than you might wish. When we bought ours the idea was to get rid of the family car for a small shopping car but looking at the trade in deal etc it was cheaper just to keep the old tug and run it out. Also as my van is stored at a separate storage park the car is useful in that respect.

Hi Roger and welcome.

I don't really understand why you would want a Ducato sized panelvan plus a caravan? Why duplicate heating, plumbing and accommodation facilities?

If you've decided that towing a caravan is the solution then go for a caravan of size and layout that you think meets your needs plus a tow vehicle that has a small sink and hob, and a portapotti. If you were thinking of day trips that might go overnight then maybe a convertible bed.

A better solution in my view and much better value. You could also avoid Ducatos if you really don't like them. I love mine, but wouldn't want to use it as daily transport,

regards

alan b

Many thanks to all for the many replies tonight, more than I expected in such a short space of time.

Terry, many thoughts and questions answered there, thank you.

Mike, I'm with you only so far there, yes if the van is a duffer it will soon be found out, been on the market long enough.

Dave, you have stated all the reasons that I'm looking at a Seville based van and not VW or other 'smaller vans'. Unless Ford increase the internal height of the transit I can't see many of them being van conversions.

Alan, I don't at this stage have a particular feeling one way or the other regarding a Ducato, just that I feel the right decision is, as alluded to above, a Seville based van, The Tribute that I'm looking at is only available as a Ducato, I'm happy enough with that.

The plan is to use it most of the time as a weekend camper, the major daily use is as a 18 mile each way commuter, saving the Caravan for high days and holidays. I currently work a shift system that means I work for 4 days on 4 days off. So I have a lot of leisure time to make good use of a 'proper' camper van without the hassle of towing a caravan and finding somewhere to stop overnight. Also very high on the 'need to have' list is a walk in loo.

Anyway, much food for thought tonight many thanks to all.

Bill,

Yes, but not that make/model, but in general yes we did. Passed them over in favour of a 'proper' van.

Can see the sense in them when towing by car, reduction of drag etc, but when towing behind a van that argument becomes null and void.

Thank you for the suggestion.

interesting that someone stated an eriba caravan. when I sold the hymer due to it not being used that much and tying down a lot of money, tax, mots services etc. I went out and purchased an eriiba caravan. They tow great, but one trip to Italy and it was sold. the thing with caravans in Europe is you can not use all the motorhome stop overs. and campsites are a total pain, full of kids with footballs and not very nice. so sold the caravan and the X5 and purchased a globecar. so miss the X5.

It maybe should be mentioned to the OP, being new around here and not having come across him yet, . that Euroserv Mr Nick Fisher, runs a fleet of hire vans which are Ducatos. He would presumably run Fords, Mercedes, VW or any others if it were better for his business. He knows these vehicles inside out and is always ready with excellent advice to help solve problems. He also likes the Comfortmatic Auto gearchange system, and being on my second one of these, heartily agree.

Neil B

armstrongpiper - 2016-02-02 11:36 AM

It maybe should be mentioned to the OP, being new around here and not having come across him yet, . that Euroserv Mr Nick Fisher, runs a fleet of hire vans which are Ducatos. He would presumably run Fords, Mercedes, VW or any others if it were better for his business. He knows these vehicles inside out and is always ready with excellent advice to help solve problems. He also likes the Comfortmatic Auto gearchange system, and being on my second one of these, heartily agree.

Neil B

Yes getting back to model.

The x250/290 internal width is larger than other panel vans, on a 'Twin' type layout that the OP is looking at that little bit extra can make a big difference.

Basically the Ducato / Boxer has always been a good van as long as you avoid the early years builds at every change of models as it seems to take Sevel a year or three to get it right. Customer led development one might call it?

Consequently my perception is that as I have had pretty good and reliable service from 1996, 2006 and 2011 Sevels over the years I see nothing at all to be gained by Fiat allowing me to help them develop their pollution control kit in my time and at my expense.

That apart I reckon that the Ducato is a fine van and equally as good (or bad?) to drive and own as any other. All vehicles have their pluses and minuses and when someone discovers the perfect van please let us all know and we will form an orderly queue!

Sevel is an acronym used to describe vans made under the joint venture of currently Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen.

The 'X' prefix is used to denote the various incarnations of models as the vehicles are developed over the years since 1981 to date and ongoing.

You can Google any of this and get a lot of info to browse over.

b9k9uk - 2016-02-02 12:14 PM

Still listening, just getting my thoughts together.

For the unknowing here what is an X250/290? Is it just another name for a Ducato in particular or Seville Vans in general?

'X' are the model designations:

- X2/50 2007-2014

- X2/90 2014 to date

It's SEVEL by the way. Société Européenne de Véhicules Légers

Archived