Ducato or not Ducato

b9k9uk

Wikipedia’s SEVEL-related entry may e of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevel

My understanding of the “X” designator (X244, X250, etc.) is that it defines the ‘project’ that deals with a particular vehicle type. I don’t know if the “X” meant anything (eg. “experimental”) when it was first used, but this other (German) Wikipedia entry shows how the designator has been applied historically.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

Although “X290” designates the current (mid-2014 onwards) type, it will be noticed that “X290” was used pre-1994. This might explain why the VIN of current-model Ducatos continues to have “250” in it rather than “290”.

frederic - 2016-02-02 1:00 PM

Go for the best.

Buy VWT6 AutoSleeper Topaz with auto and get a tow bar fitted!

or the 2.5 (5 cylinder) T5 version with plenty of grunt for towing.

fredric

I would certainly agree.....But, at what a price over £56,000 for what is little more than a campervan, a very nice campervan, but still a campervan. as we say in Wales, thats 'Beyond' that is. You could almost buy a house for that, around here !

Rayjsj - 2016-02-02 2:35 PM

frederic - 2016-02-02 1:00 PM

Go for the best.

Buy VWT6 AutoSleeper Topaz with auto and get a tow bar fitted!

or the 2.5 (5 cylinder) T5 version with plenty of grunt for towing.

fredric

I would certainly agree.....But, at what a price over £56,000 for what is little more than a campervan, a very nice campervan, but still a campervan. as we say in Wales, thats 'Beyond' that is. You could almost buy a house for that, around here !

Therein lies the rub. Following the advice received so far I have been Googling an such like researching and it all comes down to price. Yes I could buy a van a few years old, but hey they hold their price well these vans do, A good marque still commands good prices.

I think the Fiat Ducato has it if only because the competition is thin on the ground and (usually) more expensive.

Many thanks for the advice, I'm sure this thread will rumble on but many thanks to all I think I've got what I need.

nowtelse2do - 2016-02-02 4:10 PM

Although there is a massive Gross Train Weight 5,800kg, there only appears to be around 557kg payload for the combination, ie:- Van & Caravan. Assuming you are using it for 4 people, is that enough Roger?

Payload for Van 355kg.

Payload for Caravan 202kg.

Total=557kg

Dave

Dave

I actually made it 355 for the van and 175 for the Caravan = Total 530.

There is just the 2 of us but in truth we won't know until go there.

MRO includes things that would be duplicated unnecessarily, water I suppose being the heaviest, advice I have got from the Camping and Caravanning Club state that the MRO defines all fluids as 90% full. (Fresh Water).

Other items such as tables and chairs, crockery will not need to duplicated.

The plan is to run with the MH for a couple of months prior to adding the caravan, then the prudent thing would be to load up the MH for a trip away and take it to a public weighbridge to see what we got.

The thing is if I got a very capable tow car that is all it would be, just a very capable tow car. If I got a larger coach built MH in reality that is all it would be. Probably placed in storage because it would be to unwieldy for daily use.

But with a van based MH I would have the best of both worlds, caravan in safe storage until needed, (I understand that some people 'site' theirs for the summer months that would/could be an option) and a MH for my extensive leisure time. Why add a caravan? When all is said and done there is not a lot of room is van based camper van for extended holidaying/retirement is there?

As I said in an earlier post I only work 4 days out of 8 so I have a lot of leisure time.

So yes I had considered it but no we won't know for sure until we get there.

Hi

The Tribby will be on a 3300KG chassis. I uprated my old one as a paper exercise to 3500KG for £250 (SV-Tech). No other work required, this type of up-rate does not increase the axle limits though so you still have max 1750KG front, max 1900KG rear. Due to the design of my 650 (water, batteries and occupants up front) I was always close to the 1750KG front axle limit.

The 3500KG chassis ups these limits to 1850KG front and 2000kg rear <-- that's what you are missing with the 'cheapo' paper-only up-rate.

The http://www.tribby.co.uk forum is an excellent forum for tribute specific questions, some folks on there used to tow caravans.

Look at the Rapido Dreamer and Dreamer Select range before deciding - walk in showers/toilets and fixed beds across the range. Been very happy with my Campereve; dreamer is its new name for the UK, and the prices are keener. http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived