satellite connection advice please

tringy

tringy - 2016-02-01 8:01 PM

Hi all, how do I connect a satellite system to the fixed tv in my motorhome? Its a Avtex tv in a autotrail mohawk 2015 .do I plug it in via the signal booster or directly to the tv.thanks in anticipation. Tringy.

Presumably the Avtex TV has an inbuilt satellite receiver in which case the satellite input from your dish would be into the TV as the signal booster is almost certainly for the TV aerial. If your Avtex isn't the version with the inbuilt satellite receiver you will need to buy one.

Hi

I have a similar set up by our MH is a 2015 Savannah. The Avtex TV has two inputs, a normal terrestrial digital one and a satellite one and as you are asking this question I presume your MH does not have a sat dome fitted. If like mine, your TV is wired back to the signal booster only for terrestrial TV, i.e. via the roof mounted aerial. Why they don't wire both out at the factory I don't know !

Like me, you might not always want to use the TV via its in-built satellite tuner, e.g. if in Greta Britain and you are only stopping for a night and can't be bothered to set up a satellite dish outside. So what I have done is to take the plastic shroud off the back of the TV on the mounting bracket to access the satellite input and I have run a short aerial cable between this satellite input and terminating in a female socket mounted in an accessible part of the plastic shroud (at the top edge). What I do is to set up my sat dish on its tripod and connect the cable between that and the female socket I mentioned above with the cable entering the cab via either cab door and the cable neatly tucked along the door edge. I did try to install the cable from the TV back to an external socket but it was too much of a problem removing the interior head lining in the cab, etc. so I left well alone.

When in France and once pitched for a while with the dish set up, we switch between the digital terrestrial TV and Sat TV at a push of a button on the handset (I do like to watch some of the regional French TV news and weather).

Alan

tringy - 2016-02-01 8:01 PM

Hi all, how do I connect a satellite system to the fixed tv in my motorhome? Its a Avtex tv in a autotrail mohawk 2015 .do I plug it in via the signal booster or directly to the tv.thanks in anticipation. Tringy.

Archived