swift suntor 530L

carolh

Well - been and gone and done it now. Bought a newer mh at the weekend. We collect it on the 23rd - it was registered in jan 2003, 11,000 miles on the clock. Pristine inside and out - can't wait to play (lol) And the overcab is plenty big enough for us both to sleep in - unlike the 3' 8" of the elddis. Its the same layout as our elddis - but a bit shorter. Anybody got any experience of this model. We also need an awning - are they easy to fix? Carol

Carol Where did you get it from then? Not the dreaded B.........!!!!!! :-) I haven't fitted an awning but I have fitted a bike rack to the rear of our Rapido. My husband was having kittens about me drilling holes in it!!!8-) It might be an idea to have a shuftie at motorhomes that already have awnings attached to see how it is done, I would imagine it's quite important to have some sort of plate on the inside to spread the pressure caused by the holding bolts, a good sealant to ensure that the holes you drill are well sealed to the weather etc, that it is mounted in such as way that it doesn't snag the top of the door as you open it when you have the awning wound out.

Well, well.  Hope you got a good price for the old one after all your traumas! 

Re fixing the awning, if you're intending doing this yourselves, be warned, they are heavy.  It is essential that the fixings pass through the (I guess timber) wall frames and not just through the inner and outer panels and insulation.  If the sides are smooth aly, if you can get the light in the right position, you can often read exactly where they are by looking along the side of the van.  You could contact Swift for details, they may have designated fixing zones.  However, don't take any chances because that heavy awning exerts enormous leverage on the fixing points as you extend it.  That is why they advise not extending more that one metre before you lower its legs.

Oh, and I think the rubber sealing strip that closes the gap between the awning case and the side of the van is a good idea.  It ain't totally waterproof, but it greatly reducas the amount of water heading down the gap and onto those fixings!

If you think the bike rack was exciting, wait till you see what a dropped awning can do!

Good luck with this one.

• 3 weeks later...
well we got it. She is lovely, just trying to fit all our paraphernalia in now! Just driven to Sleaford and back to have a cd player put in, she is much more spritely than the elddis - age could have something to do with it :-S (I know the feeling) First trip out next weekend to Whisby Garden Centre, South Lincs DA rally there for Lincoln Christmas market! Going to call her 'Birdie' well she is a swift (lol) Carol

Hi .carolh we pick up our new Compass Avantguard Suntor 115 next Saturday from Brownhills Newark its our 1st Motorhome and cant wait we are getting really excited plus we both retire on Friday so next week is going to be a long wait. Then its a shopping spree to get all the goodies we will need to kit it out and then look forward to our first trip out. best regards kelly :->

Oh kelly , that brings back good memories our first trip we went to france. Boarded the shuttle i open the door & run for the toilet .Heard this familiar voice where you going you silly cow the toilets here DUH.....Brain dead or what . it felt fantastic to sit on my own loo fell asleep next thing you know\Bonjour hope you have enjoyed your journey . Best one ever.. lol ;-)

Archived