Single Free Zone

Agaric

Good on Mrs Gration for taking it to the BBC. This has come up before and I remember that she was getting nowhere by complaining directly to the touring park company - it seems they have changed their tune a bit now the BBC got involved.

Alan

Just read this on BBC website, well done Annette gration.

Just ordered my first motor home and thought I was heading for trouble.

have just retired (57) but my wife will have to work for another 11 years so was looking forward to some excursions on my own now and then.

I hope there are not many sites like Searles.

Here's to the future. :-D :-D

Surely this is a mis-quote of the rules ? I have seen many places with NO GROUPS of SINGLES. To stop stag parties and Hen nights etc.. but no singles at all, is very discriminatory, do they say NO GAYS, NO MOSLEMS as well ? No, I thought not.

Mind you I agree with tracker, I wouldn't ever go there anyway, single or not.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-03 9:15 AM

Surely this is a mis-quote of the rules ? I have seen many places with NO GROUPS of SINGLES. To stop stag parties and Hen nights etc.. but no singles at all, is very discriminatory, do they say NO GAYS, NO MOSLEMS as well ? No, I thought not.

You forgot the Christian's Ray. PC and all that ;-)

Dave

I can see the appeal of Searle's for those who enjoy that kind of camping and there must be plenty of them or they would be charging less!

I can also see why they would rather have a family of six spending their cash on site than a lone person!

Or maybe that rule was never intended to discriminate against responsible lone campers but was perhaps not thought through at inception or aplied over zealously and without malice by an employee mindful of keeping their own job?

Who knows?

Tracker - 2016-02-03 9:27 AM

Or maybe that rule was never intended to discriminate against responsible lone campers but was perhaps not thought through at inception or aplied over zealously and without malice by an employee mindful of keeping their own job?

Who knows?

I think that from the point of view of the employee it is better to have a clear rule. Otherwise you get the argument "well you let her on and she is single so why not me?"

Muswell - 2016-02-03 10:06 AM

Tracker - 2016-02-03 9:27 AM

Who knows?

I think that from the point of view of the employee it is better to have a clear rule. Otherwise you get the argument "well you let her on and she is single so why not me?"

I'd agree with the above.

Any rule can seem petty, especially if you appear to have got caught by the "edge" of it.....

'Not just campsites but there'll be plenty of establishments/companies which will stipulate a minimum age (eg "Over 25s only" or "Over 55/60s Discount" etc ), yet as I type, I can't think of any which stipulate a "maximum" age limit?...isn't that "discrimination"?

If this woman had been 25-30 years old, no one on here would've given a stuff *-)

pepe63 - 2016-02-03 11:21 AM

................... there'll be plenty of establishments/companies which will stipulate a minimum age (eg "Over 25s only" or "Over 55/60s Discount" etc ), yet as I type,

I can't think of any which stipulate a "maximum" age limit?...isn't that "discrimination"?

Car / van insurance ?

( You must be one of our younger members )

;-)

nowtelse2do - 2016-02-03 9:22 AM

Dave

what about the Romans. After all what did the Romans ever do for us? :-)

keninpalamos - 2016-02-04 1:23 PM

Dave

OK, Aquaducts, Straight Roads, Indoor plumbing, hot baths,Coinage and a nice wall to keep the Scottish in their Place. Apart from that.... I agree not much.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-04 4:51 PM

Dave

OK, Aquaducts, Straight Roads, Indoor plumbing, hot baths,Coinage and a nice wall to keep the Scottish in their Place. Apart from that.... I agree not much.

hello Brian??

Searles's terms and conditions can be read here

http://www.searles.co.uk/contact-and-directions/terms-and-conditions/

Paragraph 5 states that “Single occupancy is not allowed”, but there seems (to me) to be some ambiguity about whether this prohibition applies to ‘tourers’ or just to accommodation involving ‘static’ caravans/lodges.

keninpalamos - 2016-02-07 11:11 AM

Rayjsj - 2016-02-04 4:51 PM

Dave

hello Brian??

He's NOT the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy. I'm keeping him in today. AND he is Single. Does that mean Searles wouldn't let him in ? MALUM PROHIBITUM. Write it 500 times on that wall.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-03 10:24 AM

Think they (Searles) should be taken to court for Discrimination, folk have been, for similar rules, ie. Only Married Couples, no singles sharing, of either sex. That, got the owners fined.

'Discrimination' could be a very subjective word...I have to say that having glanced through the vast list of rules, I don't think I would want to go there anyway.

But whether single, groups of same sex (I notice in one clause its says no groups of same sex, then later on another clause says no same sex groups of 3 or more), then on some sites it could be said that discrimination is created if say, Adult only, or even where as in C&CC I think, they off over 55 cheaper rates. does this discriminate against the younger ones, I wonder?

It does look as though their rules have been made up on the hop' and not actually thought through, or even checked for duplication or decent working. I am not actually sure if the 'single' includes tourers, or just 'accommodation' as in the units they rent out.

I wonder how they would look at a situation as my wife and I arrive separately sometimes, and..where I could take the MH and for say a couple of nights would be just me, then my wife would join me for several more nights...have often done this on CC sites, but would this fit in with Searles rules,I wonder?

Archived