Sangatte??

Bill

I've been out of motorhoming for a few years, but now thinking of buying another rig. One question whose answer will affect my decision is:

Are the migrant shenanigans at Sangatte [the French end of the Tunnel] affecting northbound motorhomers?

I'd be glad to hear from anybody who has taken a motorhome from Calais to Dover recently.

As a tunnel frequent traveller I have just returned from the alps, I've seen two single suspicious blokes in the past two years.

The groups will target lorries at night, but a local school did find two tied under the wheel arches of their coach when they stopped on the M20.

The girls wanted to adopt them they looked so scared!

I used the tunnel crossing yesterday, both ways (by car), and no problems. When taking the MH we use the Dover-Calais ferry and have never had any problems, so far !!!

However, the situation in Calais can vary day by day so not a good yard-stick to base any future purchase of a MH.

We visited Calais seafront at 4pm yesterday and were surprised to see only two MH's at the aire. Perhaps people are avoiding Calais and choosing to use other routes?

Robbo - 2016-02-03 10:21 AM

We visited Calais seafront at 4pm yesterday and were surprised to see only two MH's at the aire. Perhaps people are avoiding Calais and choosing to use other routes?

Why surprised it is the middle of winter. We passed through Calais three times last year and stopped in Calais twice on the marina aire, the main aire was pretty full but as usual only about six on the marina. No problems, why would there be the would be immigrants are either in the camp or trying to get on lorries.

I was in Sangatte last year and rode my bike around, being a small village it didn't take long. I didn't see much happening at all and certainly no migrants.

What the papers call "New Sangatte" is not in Sangatte at all but somewhere else. There is a map here http://tinyurl.com/zc7pccv.

I was forced to a halt and subjected to intimidation and witnessed rock throwing on the road into Calais ferry port. I will no longer use the ferry port or stay anywhere near Calais. The Tunnel, whilst not immune to problems, seems to be more difficult for the migrants to access and the roads in are much faster so traffic is difficult to stop. For these reasons I have booked on the Tunnel this year.

I will let you know when I get back 8-)

H

Thanks to all who have replied.

As a matter of interest I had my motorhome searched at the Tunnel entrance back in about 2009 or 2010, before all this carry-on started. However, it was passport control, not customs, that did the searching - and the only cupboards etc the lady was interested in looking in were those that were big enough to hold a person.

The worrying prospect is being stopped and or harassed on the approach to the port/terminal while in traffic, as well as the risks of being invaded by migrants while being parked in or around Calais overnight.  Migrants are hunting as a pack and attacking mob-handed these days so while there might be plenty of riot police around, they cannot really control the episodic "situations" which the migrants orchestrate.  Migrants have succeeded in invading both ferries and the Chunnel terminal and tracks using these tactics and clearly they could do so again more or less at will, despite new fencing etc.

Some contributors to this forum are still willing to park overnight in Cite Europe or at the Marina Aire in Calais but I now regard this as far too risky.  I have also decided not to use Calais at all for a return crossing, instead coming home via Dunkirk.  It's a much less busy port (only one ferry every two hours) and the port is also a good five miles from the town and surrounded by pretty exposed and barren industrial landscape, so pretty inhospitable to migrants who might otherwise want to loiter for opportunities to stowaway.  I've even been continuing to stay overnight on the Ferry Terminal car park and felt secure.

In summary using Calais to come home has real risks, Dunkirk much, much less so.  I doubt the French decision to develop a new migrants camp nearer to Dunkirk will compromise that Port for MHs either.

We went to Carrefour shopping in Sept . We loaded up and where heading to Belguim.

Hubby opened the garage door and outside was Freddie on her feed machine in her wheelchair . I popped in and had the kettle on we decided to lunch before we took off .

Hubby finished and I called him in we were standing in the kitchen and the motorhome took a wonderful BOUNCE ... Hubby flew out of the door and I flew out after him to see what was going on . In the garage we had a rather dark looking chappie with a massive smile on his face hiding in the garage under the rubbish we had in there . OUT said hubby he got out and laughed .

well just goes to show poor bugger would of ended up in Belguim haha.

Came back this Sunday not a thing to be seen quiet and calm new fences . I think I don't want to jump on a band of people who use scare tactics we have always been ok but its common sense dont do what we did .unless you want to invite guests .

StuartO - 2016-02-03 3:37 PMThe worrying prospect is being stopped and or harassed on the approach to the port/terminal while in traffic, as well as the risks of being invaded by migrants while being parked in or around Calais overnight.  Migrants are hunting as a pack and attacking mob-handed these days so while there might be plenty of riot police around, they cannot really control the episodic "situations" which the migrants orchestrate.  Migrants have succeeded in invading both ferries and the Chunnel terminal and tracks using these tactics and clearly they could do so again more or less at will, despite new fencing etc.

Some contributors to this forum are still willing to park overnight in Cite Europe or at the Marina Aire in Calais but I now regard this as far too risky.  I have also decided not to use Calais at all for a return crossing, instead coming home via Dunkirk.  It's a much less busy port (only one ferry every two hours) and the port is also a good five miles from the town and surrounded by pretty exposed and barren industrial landscape, so pretty inhospitable to migrants who might otherwise want to loiter for opportunities to stowaway.  I've even been continuing to stay overnight on the Ferry Terminal car park and felt secure.

In summary using Calais to come home has real risks, Dunkirk much, much less so.  I doubt the French decision to develop a new migrants camp nearer to Dunkirk will compromise that Port for MHs either.

[/quoteDo you have any factual evidence or is it all supposition as other posters do not share your views?

Used the ferry from Calais twice last year . One return delayed for 24 hours due to the ferry workers blockading the port.

The ferry into Calais never seems to be a problem as we are going in the wrong direction for the migrants. On returning we use a midday crossing and have a quick lunch on the beachside aire. The route from there to the ferry takes you through the back streets of Calais ,ending up at the large roundabout right outside the port entrance. Thus missing the dual carriageway in from the A16 where all the problems occur.

Apart from the odd stragglers in Calais town we have hardly seen a migrant.

Only 2 years ago, when someone attempted to jemmy my habitation door at the Auchan. We now avoid completely or one of us stays with the van. And spend the first and last night on the aire at Forges Les Eaux.

sshortcircuit - 2016-02-03 5:07 PM.  Do you have any factual evidence or is it all supposition as other posters do not share your views?  [\QUOTE]

It was what I saw and chose to do after a slightly scary exit from Calais on the A16 feeder when the migrants were mob-handed in a number of coordinated groups, trying to split and distract the police; please yourself what you believe and do.

Archived