A Frame

Guest adhple

There was an 8-page-long forum discussion in 2011 as a result of a similar question being asked (relating specifically to being fined for A-framing in Spain rather than stopped in Europe). Might be worth you ploughing through it...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/A-Frame-fines/25123/

And this more recent (April 2015) forum thread (also relating to Spain)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spain-and-towing-a-car-with-an-A-Frame/37955/

includes a forum-member (PeteH) saying that he had been stopped 3 times when A-framing in Spain.

For a summary of the situation there’s a full-page article ( “Are A-Frames legal in Europe?”) on Page 200 of the latest (March 2016) issue of MMM magazine.

I have been using a Braked A-frame here in the UK for 3 years, no problems. Wouldn't chance it on the Continent though.

Perfectly safe way of taking your car with you, but if you want to do it in Europe, use a trailer, if you have the tow capacity.

gordonaldson - 2016-02-05 7:36 PM

...Bare A frames are just for emergency purposes...

This is one of those ‘everybody knows is true’ things, but I’m not sure it actually is the case in the UK.

Out of curiosity I did some research once about how one vehicle might legally tow another (whether the latter was broken down or not) and I failed to establish what the UK law was.

So I’d be interested to learn if anyone can identify which (if any) motoring regulations prohibit using an unbraked A-frame, or a solid bar, or a tow-rope to tow a car that is in fully working order and when there’s no ‘emergency’. (And I’m not asking to be pointed at RAC, AA , Caravan Club or police forums that offer opinions - I want the specific regulations identified.)

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-06 9:37 AM

Out of curiosity I did some research once about how one vehicle might legally tow another (whether the latter was broken down or not) and I failed to establish what the UK law was.

So I’d be interested to learn if anyone can identify which (if any) motoring regulations prohibit using an unbraked A-frame, or a solid bar, or a tow-rope to tow a car that is in fully working order and when there’s no ‘emergency’.

Derek,

The best I can find is this gov.uk website... https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408927/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf

And I'll quote from it...

"When used for recovering broken down vehicles “dollies” are

exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is

capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination. However, if

“dollies” are used for the transportation of perfectly functioning vehicles they will need to be fitted

with an operational braking system"

And another paragraph giving info on speed limits and directly relative to use for 'Recovery'...

"...there is further legislation under the Road TrafficRegulation Act

1984that introduces a limitation on the maximum speed that the combination can be driven; this is

40mph on motorways and 20mph on other road."

PS The use of the term 'Dollies' also includes 'A-Frames' in this context.

Does this help answer your query?

Keith.

Keithl,

I have just read the whole document posted, and it treats 'Braked A-Frames' and 'unbraked Dollies' for towing broken down vehicles differently. 1st page Braked A-Frames, 2nd Page Unbraked Dollies.

Their conclusion was that Braked A-Frames are legal,(although not tested by court precedent)

Unbraked A-Frames are limited to 750kgs and 20mph limit. which is sensible.

Not trying to contradict you, just pointing out the facts.

Sorry Ray but that was my misinterpretation.

What I actually meant to say was that UN-Braked A-Frames and towing dollies where classed the same on page 2.

I agree that Braked A-Frames are 'Legal' as far as DfT are concerned, but again with the Caveat that this has never been tested in a court of law!

The only thing that I'm going by and the Police may go by is this 750kg issue, as off anything towed over this weight must be braked, whether on 2 or 4 wheels. The emergency services one of no brakes is interesting but its stipulated as lawfull. There is also the case of what you are allowed to tow regarding weight. A car can tow a car but not one which is heavier. Be silly to see a car towing a lorry, but, when you put a car on a trailor the combination may be heavier than the tow car. Landrovers can tow around 4 tons but is this lawfull. You have probably seen it on the road. Last one I seen was a BMW towing a Discovery on a trailor, braked trailor of course, that's if brakes were working that is. Discussion is limitless sorry to say.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-06 10:22 AM

If you can track the information down I’d be grateful. No rush...

I've just done a few searches, I can't find ref to the court case, I did a search last year,not sure what terms I used, but on one page I found a link to a prosecution which established case law regarding use of unbraked recovery a frames, I'm fairly certain that I was reading a page on 'caratow' or similar which was explaining their view on what was legal and not legal which referred to a court case, googling this came up with the details.

Some background...

I worked in IT at GCHQ Cheltenham for 26 years. where – to begin with at least - I was an ‘old-school’ systems analyst/programmer. I’m an atheist and the local Jehovah’s Witnesses have said (literally) that they’ve given up on me. I’m not a credulous person and if you asked me if I believed the sun would rise tomorrow, I’d just say “Probably”.

When I researched this towing thing, it seemed to me that there were no general UK motoring regulations about vehicles towing vehicles and which methods were legal and which were not. The underlying principle appeared to involve the police deciding arbitrarily whether they considered what was being done was ‘safe’.

I felt that – if UK vehicle-towing-vehicle regulations were really that loose – it would be understandable that A-frame suppliers/users would seek to bring the A-framing practice under the umbrella of trailer-related law which is much tighter regulation-wise.

I’m not going to be A-framing myself and the days when I’ve been towed in a car (or towed a car) long distance on a piece of rope are over, so I’m just curious as to what the UK law ACTUALLY is regarding one vehicle towing another.

Reply to background,

I was an IT hardware engineer, with 30 years experience of mainly obsolete equipment, I worked in the North London area, one day I got a call from my manager that my (obsolete) experience was required at GCHQ Cheltenham, evidently they had an archive of data on old reel to reel tapes that they wanted to transfer onto new media. They had a bank of old tape drives that hadn't been powered on for 5 years at least, my job was to get at least 3 of the 8 working, well enough to transfer the data. I had a week to do it.

I had to cannibalise the old drives for spares. I wasn't allowed access to the archive, which I was told was created 10 years ago (oxide tape deteriorates over time) AND I had a chaperone everywhere I went, including the toilet. It was a very good and ultimately satisfing experience, I managed to do it in 4 days.

It was the last REAL engineering job I did before I retired. But I was never told if the data transfer worked, I presume it did .? As I was never called back. Now of course no-one uses tape storage. Bletchley Park is a good museum for old IT .

Ps my views on A-framing are well represented on here.

Brian Kirby - 2016-02-08 5:35 PMIsn't all this a secret? :-D

Tee Hee! I had to sign the Official Secrets Act when I worked for the Nature Conservancy in Snowdonia.

We were chasing sheep round the hills to see what grass they ate.

I can tell you their favourite was ...... Arrggghhh!

Slightly off topic but we are in Benicassim Spain at moment and a Dutch motorhome pulled in today-with a Micra on an A-frame!!!

Just had to post this!

On saying that, it is the only one I've seen this year and all the rest are on trailers

Mike

PS N332 website advises that police are stopping vans without a warning board if they have bikeracks on the back. Not seen anyone stopped for anything as yet personally

Stopping folk for having bikeracks on the back ?? Can I ask why ? Seems a bit draconian, and a little bit pointless surely.

Sorry didn't read the post properly, without warning boards on, I understand now, do they have to be 30 gauge aluminium or some such stupidity ?

laimeduck - 2016-02-08 6:59 PM

Tee Hee! I had to sign the Official Secrets Act when I worked for the Nature Conservancy in Snowdonia.

Alas, Poor Jeremy. :-( As a fellow "signatory", I should perhaps have warned him that some very powerful and influential people had developed an unusual fondness for those sheep, and fiercely guarded their secret. No names etc. OK, M? :-D

Rayjsj - 2016-02-08 10:05 PM

Stopping folk for having bikeracks on the back ?? Can I ask why ? Seems a bit draconian, and a little bit pointless surely.

Sorry didn't read the post properly, without warning boards on, I understand now, do they have to be 30 gauge aluminium or some such stupidity ?

Dunno-ain't got a pushbike/rack so can't confirm-just what I read on the N332 site

Mike

Brian Kirby - 2016-02-09 12:18 AM
laimeduck - 2016-02-08 6:59 PM

Alas, Poor Jeremy. :-( As a fellow "signatory", I should perhaps have warned him that some very powerful and influential people had developed an unusual fondness for those sheep, and fiercely guarded their secret. No names etc. OK, M? :-D
I had to sign 'non disclosure' when the company I worked for invented/developed the LED-anybody heard about them?

Archived