Complete Beginner!

lawlorka

Hi All

I just bought my first motorhome. Its a 4 berth Compass Avantgarde 100 (2002 model) which I believe is the same as an Eldiss Autoquest 100.

I am a complete beginner! I have only been in motorhomes when I was very young, or they belonged to someone else so never had to run one by myself!

It will be used mostly at Dog Agility shows so we won't have hook up the majority of the time and it will mostly be just me and my 2 dogs, although the OH might join occassionally.

We have an EHU cable, and a 6kg gas cylinder, leisure battery and all the toilet chemicals. I'm just making a 'shopping' list and was wondering what other 'essentials' you think I will need. I am doing a 'test run' next weekend for two nights at a local site just to make sure I know what I'm doing and everything runs smoothly before taking it further afield later in the month.

I'm really excited about it though. Can't wait to get motoring! :-D

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you spend most of your nights away without hook up (EHU) then a solar panel and second battery would be useful, especially if you want to watch tv, run fans, microwave, lap tops etc

If you are going to cook and eat in the van you will need most of the utensils you have in your home kitchen but lighter in weight as you will need to consider payload.

You will almost certainly need levelling ramps.

A torch, a fire extinguisher, out door seating and somewhere to enclose the dogs when travelling and on site. An insulating screen cover for the windscreen, a hose pipe and water carrier/can.

Cliffy - 2016-02-06 5:48 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you spend most of your nights away without hook up (EHU) then a solar panel and second battery would be useful, especially if you want to watch tv, run fans, microwave, lap tops etc

If you are going to cook and eat in the van you will need most of the utensils you have in your home kitchen but lighter in weight as you will need to consider payload.

You will almost certainly need levelling ramps.

A torch, a fire extinguisher, out door seating and somewhere to enclose the dogs when travelling and on site. An insulating screen cover for the windscreen, a hose pipe and water carrier/can.

Thank you! Have outside seating, a 'garden' and set up for the dogs as we are regular tent campers! Just decided to upgrade this year :) So all the regular camping stuff I have. Its just the motorhome specific stuff I'm not sure on,

For example - most of the sites we will stay on are not designated camping sites. So what do people use to dispose of grey water? What kind of container should I get for this? Also are those aqua rolls worth the money for bringing water too and from the motorhome and should I invest in a submergeable pump to get the water from that container and into my van or should I just stick with a watering can?

I won't be using a TV or laptop. When we go camping we just chill in the evening listening to a radio or reading so hoping the battery lasts well - but will probably look into solar for longer trips.

Ok motorhoming is as they say posh camping so you have a good grounding. Leveling ramps are a must on grass fields. For fresh water we have an expanding hose pipe and a collection of different fittings for if there is a tap, it saves a lot of trekking back and forth to fill up. We have a large watering can which serves us well for carrying water to the van. I would not entertain and aqua roll and pump due to storage capacity when travelling. Grey water can be poured down an uplifted drain cover, provided it is not a land drain, the toilet waste is more difficult, if there are no facilities, but as a guide the toilet will last three days with two of using it and fresh water lasts about the same so if your payload allows you can travel with a full tank of fresh water and be self sufficient for four or five days at least when you are by yourself.

If you park up on grass be sure it is firm, it is amazing how the van struggles to get a grip on soft ground, if you are parking on grass regularly then investing in some grip mats (bought or homemade) is advisable.

We do not have a large payload we have to careful what we carry, when we first got our AT Tracker we were 150 Kgs over weight when we went to the weighbridge so we had some serious stripping out to do.

Archived