Finally decided

Jonboymentalhealth

Right for first trip into Europe we have decided to do northern France, not sure of route yet but am looking for advice. It will be me other half, baby and two dogs. We plan on using Aires maybe two nights then campsite for a night for the hook up.

Which books/cards should we invest in planning on going July, is the discount card scheme worth it at this time of year?

Also what do other dog owners do to keep dogs cool whilst out visiting the attractions, (vineyards etc?)

Thanks in advance

Not quite sure what you mean by Northern France -

But Brittany at that time of year will be a good option, plenty of great beaches, interesting towns and villages - and I would say ideal is a first jaunt over the other side. Weather shouldn't be too oppressive, although it can still get in the 30's around the gulf of Morbihan....it could equally pee down though.

You may have to follow the sun to some extent, its amazing how 50 or 60 miles in one direction or another can make a difference. Often we get off the ferry at Roscoff to quite a bleak prospect, but by the time I'm at the house between Rennes and Nantes it's boiling.

Your not likely to come across many vineyards though! - unless you push on a little further.

As far as dogs go, you're not seriously thinking of leaving them unattended whilst you're out and about are you?

We manage to keep our van pretty cool, even when down at the med - but there's no way I'd leave ours for any length of time. Just take them out with you.....

We have visited France many times over the years and last year we took our van into Brittany. We arrived at Roscoff port and meandered eastwards round the coast to Saint-Brieuc via Perros-Guirec and the Pink Granite Coast then back to Roscoff stopping off at Saint-Pol-De-Leon for the last couple of nights. This took two weeks at a slow pace with no campsites booked in advance - no problem finding a place each night. At one site we were parked literally right at the edge of the beach so we could open the rear doors and lie back in the evening on the rear lounge sofas watching the sun set whilst listening to some music - heaven. This was a fantastic trip and is thoroughly recommended for the superb scenery - lots of rugged coastline rock formations and a quiet pace of life. One of our best trips.

Going back to Brittany this year to the Crozon Peninsula. We don't travel far preferring to go at a slow pace and fully absorb a smaller area rather than do lots of miles.

Your few nights on aires then campsite is pretty much what we do but some years since we took small children, think you need to be a little more specific on what you like though. Guess you will not want to have to many long days but even so I would give Northern France a miss, especially if you want good weather. Vine regions are all over the place but in in the North they are Champagne, Alsace then moving south Burgundy inland or right down to the Loire and Bordeaux via coastal route. There are other small regions that have vineyards in the Northern parts but in the North weather is the problem. Brittany is ok but weather much like Cornwall, every time we have been it has poured down so probably why we avoid the place now. You can visit all kinds of places in the North from battle fields to old towns and villages, in fact if you take coastal route I would recommend a first stop at Montrieul sur mer. It has a scruffy aire on a car park or an ok campsite right on the edge of nice old walled town. Personally I would just exit ferry/tunnel and head south to get below the Loire, what you do then depends on what you like, perhaps as I suggested you could give few clues.

Wanted to visit as many different things as possible is vineyards, cheese cellars museums etc, with regards to the dogs not sure we will take yet but was just referring to hour or so at a time whilst in museum etc.

Would be a shame not to take as they would love the walks. Not sure how dog friendly French beaches are tho

Would like to spend couple of days on coast but not one for sitting still to long

These two - sorry now three - books cover all our needs but as we do not use sites I can't advise on them. That said I believe that the French 'municipal' sites are good vfm generally?

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-France-north-and-south-together.html

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Camperstop-Europe-2016-ISBN-9789076080444.html

Might try this one again sometime.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/France-Passion-2016-Preorder.html

ACSI sites are very popular too.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/ACSI-UK-CampingCard-DVD/

We used to leave a large bowl of water for the dog, pull the blinds on the sunward side and open all the skylights (not advisable if your van has a rear ladder and sometimes we would leave a low wattage computer fan running to move the air about a bit. Once or twice in Southern Spain in the peak heat she got a bit hot and panting but generally it worked OK. The hotter it is the shorter the leave time.

Be aware that in July and August if you want to get on to a seaside or otherwise popular Aire you will often need to be there well before lunchtime, especially for a good pitch.

Follow the weather reports, the Loire is one of our favourite places.

The French don't mind dogs in restaurants, although check first.

Our stay in with the roof vents open if we go to museums etc., but generally go everywhere with us, including beaches.

ACSI guide is useful even if there is no discount.

The weather in Brittany [particularly further south] is absolutely nothing like Cornwall...

Check out - weatheronlineeurope....that'll give you a fair indication - you can archive back 10 or 15 years [even for specific weeks] on the weather you might expect, relating to most major towns and cities.

As I said, a good place to start.....

globebuster - 2016-02-07 4:25 PM

The weather in Brittany [particularly further south] is absolutely nothing like Cornwall...

Check out - weatheronlineeurope....that'll give you a fair indication - you can archive back 10 or 15 years [even for specific weeks] on the weather you might expect, relating to most major towns and cities.

As I said, a good place to start.....

Well maybe a touch better but is on the Atlantic coast so is going to be pretty variable. we have been three times and never had good weather yet. OK around the coasts but nothing inland, again just like Cornwall but scenery and small fishing villages not as scenic. G south young man.

I guess you've just been unfortunate Rupert...

Your comments based on three visits - my experience is based on the following -

1/ I've lived in Cornwall for nearly 20 years.

2/ I've visited Brittany for the past 14 - throughout the seasons.

I wish Breton weather was only a 'touch better', I would certainly enjoy my UK summers more!

When I was researching to find the right location to buy back in '02, some of the results regarding climate were very interesting.

Whilst venturing south is likely to give you better weather, I can assure you that this is very often not the case. Again this is borne out by experience, many a trip south has been curtailed to return 'back up' over the years.

I'll assume your statement regarding scenery implies you didn't venture very far either, Brittany is a big place - although I accept everybody has their own opinion of an area..

You really shouldn't be putting people off based on three unlucky visits - when the facts actually speak for themselves. The weather in Brittany [particularly further south] is absolutely nothing like Cornwall or indeed the West Country in general.

globebuster - 2016-02-08 12:25 AM

I guess you've just been unfortunate Rupert...

Your comments based on three visits - my experience is based on the following -

1/ I've lived in Cornwall for nearly 20 years.

2/ I've visited Brittany for the past 14 - throughout the seasons.

I wish Breton weather was only a 'touch better', I would certainly enjoy my UK summers more!

When I was researching to find the right location to buy back in '02, some of the results regarding climate were very interesting.

Whilst venturing south is likely to give you better weather, I can assure you that this is very often not the case. Again this is borne out by experience, many a trip south has been curtailed to return 'back up' over the years.

I'll assume your statement regarding scenery implies you didn't venture very far either, Brittany is a big place - although I accept everybody has their own opinion of an area..

You really shouldn't be putting people off based on three unlucky visits - when the facts actually speak for themselves. The weather in Brittany [particularly further south] is absolutely nothing like Cornwall or indeed the West Country in general.

The problem is, like you, I can only give an opinion based on personal experience which will include personal likes and dislikes. Now I do not expect others to agree but my opinion stands and is unlikely to change. I give an honest view it is up to the poster to read into this what he wants, his view will depend on his/hers personal preference's not mine or yours. So let us look at the facts as you put it, is the coastal scenery of Brittany better than Cornwall, it is certainly not. Is their much of anything in the centre of Brittany much worthwhile, again no. Does Brittany have much going out of your way to see, in MY OPINION again no. I will concede the point about the weather, it is slightly better than Cornwall but not enough. Going further south does still carry a risk, especially if you insist on staying on the Atlantic coast. However in my years of travelling in France the weather in areas like Provence, the Tarn, eastern end of Pyrenees, Languedoc etc. have never, ever let me down. No all the better weather, better scenery, better towns and villages are further south and away from Atlantic coast. I say again to original poster, go south young man.

Anywhere along the Atlantic coast is subject to variable weather and we have enjoyed it flippin' hot in Brittany as well as bloomin' wet and windy anytime from May to October.

My suggestion would be to try Brittany and Normandy and see how it goes and if the weather is not to your liking and the forecasts are not any better then consider heading further South and/or East. As said the Loire Valley is often much warmer and drier being a bit further South and East and the River Loire does have some pleasant, if generally small, riverside access points and even beaches and plenty of Aires!

As ever this is a personal view based on personal experiences and other views are available!

I don't think at any point I suggested that Brittany's coastline was superior to Cornwall, although in 'my opinion' Brittany has more to offer away from the coast, as has all of France generally - again, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for conceding that the weather is now 'slightly better' - rather than a 'touch better' in your earlier reply....That's very noble of you.

Let's stick to the historical facts and data regarding the weather - rather than, as you say - opinions.

On that basis - The weather in Brittany [particularly further south] is absolutely nothing like Cornwall.

globebuster - 2016-02-08 11:17 AM

I don't think at any point I suggested that Brittany's coastline was superior to Cornwall, although in 'my opinion' Brittany has more to offer away from the coast, as has all of France generally - again, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for conceding that the weather is now 'slightly better' - rather than a 'touch better' in your earlier reply....That's very noble of you.

Let's stick to the historical facts and data regarding the weather - rather than, as you say - opinions.

On that basis - The weather in Brittany [particularly further south] is absolutely nothing like Cornwall.

You know hate to carry this on any further but just looked on the weather website you recommended. Much to my surprise you are even wrong about the weather, in fact we both were. In August for Brest it gives average sunshine as 5hrs a day, average temperature as 19c.

For Camborne it give average sunshine as 6hrs and average temperature as 18c. As I said in my original post, weather nearly the same, fact. So I agree lets stick with the historical facts.

BREST! - Who drives North from a ferry terminal! not many I doubt...

Very selective there Rupert...... just to repeat...again, Brittany 'particularly further south' does not resemble Cornwall.

If you read my initial reply it might make things clearer.

Last year didn't cut my grass in Brittany from early June to the middle of August - totally parched.

Whereas in Cornwall I couldn't keep up.

As I said - lived 20 years in Cornwall, visited Brittany the last 14.

I'm hardly likely to have a holiday home with identical weather am I?

You're digging a lovely hole though... :-D

globebuster - 2016-02-08 5:05 PM

BREST! - Who drives North from a ferry terminal! not many I doubt...

Very selective there Rupert...... just to repeat...again, Brittany 'particularly further south' does not resemble Cornwall.

If you read my initial reply it might make things clearer.

Last year didn't cut my grass in Brittany from early June to the middle of August - totally parched.

Whereas in Cornwall I couldn't keep up.

As I said - lived 20 years in Cornwall, visited Brittany the last 14.

I'm hardly likely to have a holiday home with identical weather am I?

You're digging a lovely hole though... :-D

Not selective, just a couple of towns picked with 'a pin' from the web site list, who drives where has nothing to do with it. You asked for facts and I gave you some, you picking the wrong place for a holiday home has nothing to do with the facts either. What happens to your lawn is hardly conclusive about the average weather patterns, as I said in the first place THE FACTS prove they are very similar. Anyway enough said from me, you keep visiting, as you have to I guess, and I will keep avoiding the place. The original poster can make his own mind up.

globebuster - 2016-02-08 5:34 PM

Yeah, probably until around the middle - then it would be south I guess...

Not many vineyards in the north, so quite possibly not the bit right up the top...

Well hate to say it but wrong again, you do not get much further north in France than Alsace or Champagne. Sorry about this but could not resist.

Archived