Could we get Aires

Guest daven

goldi - 2016-02-08 9:24 AM

morning folks,

No chance, the councils are skint, or claim to be and are frightened to death of minority rights groups pitching up, with all that entails. Just stick with France.

norm

Quite right.

The powers that be don't like British motorhomes so they are not likely to encourage continentals to come over in theirs.

;-)

Well I think it could be promising; but the whole subject of aires in UK is treated in a negative way.

If Mr Whittingdale and Mr Cameron were to find themselves under an avalanche of positive, polite lobbying in response to this announcement then there might be some possibility of progress.

One of the major reasons why this subject always stalls, is that the motorhome community (I use that term loosely!) is so fragmented, doesn't speak with one voice and has little or no real representation.

The Caravan Club, Camping and Carravanning Club, MMM, and all the other magazines that could jointly represent motorhomers, as well as site owners and van manufacturers are understandably cautious when taking on the representation of such a highly individual and opinionated group of people. We need a brave, high profile motorhome advocate, maybe now is the time,

regards

alan b

Great idea. I will raise it with the officers. You are quite right, we have to embrace our tourists in a sensible way. We should know where our bread is buttered.

Regards

Rob

Cllr.Rob Barnett

All it takes is the will and a little imagination. Do you think that we could try to inspire our Councils to at least have a think? I have a couple of ideas as to how we might go about this.

Rob

Cllr.Rob Barnett

http://democracy.scarborough.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=2889

snowie - 2016-02-08 11:11 AM

Well I think it could be promising; but the whole subject of aires in UK is treated in a negative way.

If Mr Whittingdale and Mr Cameron were to find themselves under an avalanche of positive, polite lobbying in response to this announcement then there might be some possibility of progress.

One of the major reasons why this subject always stalls, is that the motorhome community (I use that term loosely!) is so fragmented, doesn't speak with one voice and has little or no real representation.

The Caravan Club, Camping and Carravanning Club, MMM, and all the other magazines that could jointly represent motorhomers, as well as site owners and van manufacturers are understandably cautious when taking on the representation of such a highly individual and opinionated group of people. We need a brave, high profile motorhome advocate, maybe now is the time,

regards

alan b

spot on !!

Best of luck, Rob.

Not sure whether this will help you, but there was a long ‘aires’-related discussion here in 2013

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Aires-for-the-UK/31362/

My own view is that the potential negatives of allowing motorcaravanners to stay overnight on a public car-park (which is what might be termed a minimum-specification ‘aire’ and the least expensive to implement) will be plain to local authorities, whereas the potential positives are much less persuasive.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-08 1:57 PM

Best of luck, Rob.

Not sure whether this will help you, but there was a long ‘aires’-related discussion here in 2013

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Aires-for-the-UK/31362/

My own view is that the potential negatives of allowing motorcaravanners to stay overnight on a public car-park (which is what might be termed a minimum-specification ‘aire’ and the least expensive to implement) will be plain to local authorities, whereas the potential positives are much less persuasive.

IF we could get it to PM Caneron & he said yes THEN JUST WHAT CAN THE COUNCILS SAY !!

snowie - 2016-02-08 11:11 AM

regards

alan b

There was an organisation set up to represent motohomers and it looked promising ...... until the apathy of motorhomers killed it off, despite some dedicated people working hard on your behalf.

Google TMCTO.

747 - 2016-02-08 2:09 PM

There was an organisation set up to represent motohomers and it looked promising ...... until the apathy of motorhomers killed it off, despite some dedicated people working hard on your behalf.

Google TMCTO.

I don't know how far that organisation got.,..., so I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but I'm a member of CC, C&CC, AA, subscribe to MMM, and consider myself to be a responsible Campervanner, so Maybe I'll write to the organisations I have a financial arrangement with, and my County Council, pointing them in the direction of this potential initiative and see what happens. I'll let you know if I get a response,

I'll drop "call me Dave" a note too.

regards

alan b

All we need is right minded people with a good attitude that can put over there views articulately in the best areas to get full attention to the motor homing requirements, I have put my views on an e-mail to the PM`s office

You would think the Motorhome Dealerships in this country would be able to put a bit of pressure on the ~Government to put it to councils the benefits to towns and Cities all over the U.K to open up Aires as in France and ~Germany .

Lots of tourists will want sites so it shouldn't have an impact on places like the Caravan and Camping and Caravan Clubs , but others need places to stop overnight when touring, even the Motorways dont encourage stopping overnight with their ridiculous charging ie; Peterborough where it cost over £20 to stay overnight ! we have travelled home even when tired rather than pay this ridiculous charge.

daven - 2016-02-08 2:08 PM

...IF we could get it to PM Caneron & he said yes THEN JUST WHAT CAN THE COUNCILS SAY !!

Well, as a councillor myself I’d be thinking “What the hell is David Cameron doing involving himself with a piffling matter like motorhome overnighting when he ought to be dealing with high-level issues appropriate to a UK Prime Minister?”

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-08 6:27 PM

Well, as a councillor myself I’d be thinking “What the hell is David Cameron doing involving himself with a piffling matter like motorhome overnighting when he ought to be dealing with high-level issues appropriate to a UK Prime Minister?”

A motorhomer AND local councillor Derek! No chance then!!

all the best

alan b

daven - 2016-02-08 3:56 PM

the motor homing requirements, /QUOTE]

Aren't camp sites fitting the bill then?

If you mean FREE places to stay, why should councils provide them?

We have enough problems with "the Travellers" who mess up our country beauty spots. So why make it easier for them.

PJay

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-08 6:27 PM

daven - 2016-02-08 2:08 PM

...IF we could get it to PM Caneron & he said yes THEN JUST WHAT CAN THE COUNCILS SAY !!

........ and it would take you some time to explain to Dave what a motorhome is.

;-)

PJay - 2016-02-08 6:51 PM

If you mean FREE places to stay, why should councils provide them?

We have enough problems with "the Travellers" who mess up our country beauty spots. So why make it easier for them.

PJay

Now this is where the argument for "Aires" starts to shatter into thousands of individual pieces. In any argument for the proposal, I would want to make it very clear that I would expect a reasonable local charge to be made, not just because as a group we should not expect others to fund our hobby, but because things of worth have a value and that's how I like it.

(I do appreciate that for some people travelling in their van is more than a hobby)

regards

alan b

Personally I just don't get the whole Aires thing - why do you want to park up overnight in a car park, jammed in close to each other when you can go to a nice campsite with facilities in the countryside? Is is just about the cost? I have seen lots of Aires in a France in towns and they all look awful to me. Each to their own I suppose and it leaves the nice campsite spaces free for us

Archived