are you good or bad

Guest daven

She said - “With regards to motor homes,” she said, “I really don’t think enough it being done to stop them parking on the Esplanade overnight. We are not in competition with car parks and sites that are near the town. When they do park there overnight, nine times out of 10 they empty their rubbish and their effluence afterwards. It should be stamped out.”

So they're not just dumping it, they're setting it alight as well?

It makes you want to join the Caravan Club and only ever use their sites, for fear of meeting some of the 90% of motorhomers who are manky Esplanade dumpers. And burners. :D

coot - 2016-02-08 9:22 PM

They give people who have a motorhome a bad name. Use a camping site stop upsetting local residents.

or if you do wildcamp overnight, DON'T leave any rubbish, and certainly no effluence.... mucky so & so . Don't give the locals an excuse to ban motorhomes from parking.

coot - 2016-02-08 9:22 PM

They give people who have a motorhome a bad name. Use a camping site stop upsetting local residents.

You certainly chose a forum name that suits you. :D

You are not a retired Colonel by any chance? ;-)

This is an issue which polarises opinion and you get people making fanciful claims to bolster silly arguments to support fixed and often thoroughly selfish ideas; the lady councillor quoted in the OP's link for example, who claims that 90% of motorhomers leave their rubbish and effluent on her sea front.  You can't have any sort of discussion with people like that.

Clearly if loads of motorhomers park overnight on sea fronts where there are also residential properties there is going to be bad feeling, even if they don't leave a mess behind, so motorhomers shouldn't expect to be able to do that sort of thing as if they are exercising some sort of human right.  They are plonking themselves down obtrusively and spoiling other peoples' amenity and they should not be surprised by an adverse reaction.

But there is a serious lack of night stop facilities for motorhomes in UK and hostility is shown to anyone who wants to park somewhere overnight in a MH as if they are all traveller-types, likely to leave a mess, is also wrong.

More willingness to consider other people's needs rather than selfish NIMBYism is needed, as is less insistence on fanciful personal entitlements and more willingness to be constructive in finding solutions.

coot - 2016-02-09 8:00 AM

If you do wildcamp you have to abide by the local regulations. We run the risk of getting motorhomes ban from more car parks

I do wildcamp, as do other OAL Members. You will not see any of us in a Seaside Resort Car Park (unless it is Winter). We have exactly the same impression of these people as you have. If these Resort Car Parks become out of bounds, it will have no effect on us. These people will just move on to another area to behave in the same manner.

Just to put you right on a few points about wildcampers. A very small minority cause ALL of the trouble and we should not ALL be treated as disgusting people.

I have managed to get agreement for motorhome parking in a beautiful location but it will never be publicised on the Internet due to this tiny minority. It is for dedicated wildcampers only and others who I feel I can trust.

In the past, I have spent time in negotiation with various bodies in an effort to create Aire type facilities. Some of them have eased their restrictions somewhat without creating a full blown Aire. Nowadays I tend not to bother on behalf of other Motorhomers. The reason why not? There are many Motorhomers who I do not like. They are Glampers more than Campers. All they have is the cash to buy a Motorhome and use Sites. They have little in common with me and are best kept on Sites out of the way.

Isn't Mr Mottram asking the wrong question? Should it not be "Do you have evidence that motorhomers are causing a mess?" And it is a question that should be put to the councillor who made the accusation in the first place. Neverthless if Burnham Esplanade is subject to a byelaw that bans overnight sleeping in vehicles in parking places then it should be enforced by the fixed penalty system. If it is such a menace then surely the fines paid would cover the expense of random visits by a Traffic Warden

The idea put forward by the councillor that charges be made for parking there after 6pm as a deterrent is patently ridiculous. Seems to me that she is using a perceived menace as a tactic for revenue raising and hopes to sweeten the bitter pill to be swallowed by the law abiding by blaming the charge on these pesky motorhome people.

Councillor Louise Parkin owns/runs Burnham-on-Sea pier, so one might perhaps anticipate her antagonism to motorhomes parking on the Esplanade.

It’s quite possible that 90% of motorcaravanners do get rid of their rubbish before moving on - certainly I tend to do it - but that doesn’t mean they chuck it on the ground!

Whether Cllr Parkin’s observation relates to motorcaravanners filling up public waste-bins is anybody’s guess, but the suggestion that 90% of motorcaravanners have been dumping their effluence (presumably waste-water) is overwhelmingly unlikely - though it wouldn’t surprise me at all if a few motorcaravanners have done this.

As an observation from very limited experience, - If a van is "dumping" fluid" from underneath everyone seems to assume the worse, - given that it's winter and frost might occur (maybe !!) - we tend to "dump" the boiler and the fresh water tank which is perfectly clean and fresh before returning the van to storage, - of course the grey water and toilet waste needs to be disposed of properly and I wouldn't think about doing otherwise. - Maybe some do, but I would think and hope it's a very small minority.

- Perhaps the Councillor should come out in a Motorhome and understand the technicalities.

coot - 2016-02-08 8:34 PM

This would not be a issue if they did not park overnight but used a camping site and paid.

overnighting on a site doesnt turn a dirty thoughtless person into a nice clean one....they might still chuck their wasre all over the place.....

some folk buy MH for the express purpose of NOT being tied to campsites, to be able to tour in an impromptu manner and to stop (within the law) where they choose.....

there will always be the odd idiot who is clueless but 90% of vanners dumping waste in the road.....not.

we were down Burnham on new year's day intending to stop three night, most the campsites were closed presumably until easter, most the cl's we looked at the ground was to wet we found one with hard standing that was open but being a cl it was a heck of a drive down difficult lanes, however the motorhome parking bays on the main car park in Burnham had about three vans on them, what a wasted opportunity? we only stayed two nights in the end but would have been happy on the carpark even if there was an overnight fee.

I think over the days that we were there, their was about 12 motorhomes in and around Burnham, but don't forget, that we motorcaravanners don't spend any money as we take everything we need with us?

breakaleg - 2016-02-11 3:58 PM

we were down Burnham on new year's day intending to stop three night, most the campsites were closed presumably until easter, most the cl's we looked at the ground was to wet we found one with hard standing that was open but being a cl it was a heck of a drive down difficult lanes, however the motorhome parking bays on the main car park in Burnham had about three vans on them, what a wasted opportunity? we only stayed two nights in the end but would have been happy on the carpark even if there was an overnight fee.

I think over the days that we were there, their was about 12 motorhomes in and around Burnham, but don't forget, that we motorcaravanners don't spend any money as we take everything we need with us?

what no diesel !!!!

Archived