Anyone ever turned an over-cab bed in to an over-cab cupboard?

RogerThat

Hi everyone.

We've an over cab bed which realistically will never get used as a bed and is increasingly becoming used more and more as a general storage area for everything from the duvet and pillows (we use the rear lounge area as the bed) to the outdoor step to dog leads to the fold up deck chairs.

Naturally this isn't ideal whilst driving due to the risk of any number of said items falling on my bonce when we go round a corner or hit yet another pot hole.

Just wondering if anyone had ever converted this area in to a cupboarded area?

I was thinking of potentially attaching a few batons at strategic points and using a couple of (home made) sliding doors?

Ideally I need to do as little (visible?) damaged as possible as this would need reverting back to a bed if ever I decide to sell.

I'm a keen DIY'er and I'd make a good chippy too so I'm ready for the challenge, I just need some inspiration and ideas for design :)

Seen or done anything like this on your travels?? :-D

Embedding some (granted, not very good) pics:

https://owncloud.dg2.org/index.php/s/ONauED9UjZag6HY/download

https://owncloud.dg2.org/index.php/s/2gNuTavKnTA86d2/download

https://owncloud.dg2.org/index.php/s/y4LIHorht7jdX9X/download

https://owncloud.dg2.org/index.php/s/5LpryqAMP2dxCAr/download

What model/year is van? Where is the actual bed, mattress gone?

We have an over bed with lift up mattress base, on struts. We also only use for storage, as you do, but as the bed folds up the stored items are well protected. Maybe your van did not have a lift up bed, over the front seats

I would put the bed back and raise it on struts, that will also give much more storage, and nothing can drop off as you drive.

PJay

As there is not a huge area to be used I too would consider finding a way to make the overcab bed base tilt up rather than create a cupboard, unless wood matching the rest of the van can be sourced.

Some years ago I did convert our 4 berth Tracker to a 2 berth using the matching wood that was the original overcab bed base to fabricate a suitable frame and door with two railed side storage areas and that was an interesting challenge.

I did not worry about reverting it when we sold the van, as a 2 berth did not seem to differ in value from a 4 berth, in fact the impression I got was that a two berth with decent storage well done was a good idea.

I did a similar conversion on a Talisman many years ago but that was when A/S had a very handy spare parts shed and you could go and pick your own matching wood and bits at sensible prices, but those days it seems are long gone.

A quick option is a retaining net with a modesty curtain around the outside.

Guest pelmetman

Looks easy enough ;-) .......although the window seems to dictate how deep the cupboard can be........and judging by the amount of stuff you've got up there.......unlikely to be big enough (lol) ......

How about an alternative?..... a luggage net to hold stuff in place, then a pair of curtains to match the existing to hide it all :D ..........

I owned a 1999 Autosleepers Talisman which originally had a Luton with 2 children's beds. Soon after I bought it (when it was 4 years' old) I removed the sliding part of the bed (saving me 40kg in weight!!) and fitted a panel across the 'van as far back as possible. I seem to remember that an old wardrobe door was a convenient piece of wood to fill in the base. (The panel was supplied loose when I bought the 'van and was intended to be fitted across much further forward: attachment points were provided on the side wall inside the Luton, for sliding bolts to fit into.)

In my replacement vehicle, a 2011 limited edition Autosleepers Executive, it had 2 small and one medium-sized cupboards in the Luton area. I took all the fronts off and created one large storage box, using some 18mm thick ply for the base.

I find these mods well worthwhile if you are a capable DIYer.

Keith in Warwick

g3ttc - 2016-02-11 3:41 PM

2011 limited edition Autosleepers Executive,

Keith in Warwick

Hi Keith - we too have got one of they!!

Ours is number 30 of the 50 made - the overcab works ok for us but I can see why you opened it out!

Have you carried out any other mods?

One very worthwhile mod for us was gas struts on the n/s underseat locker lid, and I took the ladder off the back both to get under the 6.00 mtr length and to discourage the great unwashed from climbing on the roof!

pelmetman - 2016-02-11 11:47 AM

Looks easy enough ;-) .......although the window seems to dictate how deep the cupboard can be........and judging by the amount of stuff you've got up there.......unlikely to be big enough (lol) ......

How about an alternative?..... a luggage net to hold stuff in place, then a pair of curtains to match the existing to hide it all :D ..........

Presumably with a pelmet, or maybe just swags and tails.

pelmetman - 2016-02-11 11:47 AM

Presumably with a pelmet, or maybe just swags and tails.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies, some good insights there!

I took the original bed out the day I brought the MH home and the bed now resides in the loft. It's a fold-over type arrangement, rather than a fold-up type. I may well dig it out again and put it back in place to cover the entire area above the cab and see what that gives me to work with. There is a curtain in place already which then pulls across the full width to cover / hide the entire bed area when set up. But I fear I'll then bang my head on it every time I stand up from the drivers seat :) Worth a look though!

Cargo net is a good suggestion too, I think I've got one of those knocking about in the shed, I'll have a rummage.

That little window will indeed limit the depth, unless I lay some ply down and extend the 'floor' forward (or put the original bed back).

Roger if you put the bed back attache it with gas springs, like on a car boot, and I guess some hinges at the rear. ( I will have to look how ours is attached) when we next visit the van in storage Then you don't bang your head from the front seats, as the bed is folded up. I can see why you took it away, if it doesn't fold up.We put all the bedding, silver screen, and a few other bits on ours, and we are away for up to 3 months at a time

PJay

Maybe visit a dealer and find a van that does have a fold up over cab bed, then you will maybe get an idea how to work it.

Archived