Timing Gear renewal

Cliffy

It is coming up to six years since I had the timing gear replaced on my Ducato 1.9ltr JTD, so I have gone out for quotes. The garage who do my services and MOT did too much head scratching and humming and haring for my liking and did not seem to want to do it because it would tie up their MOT lift all day so I have gone back to the local Fiat commercial dealer who did it last time and made a really good job, they quoted just short of £700. Is this grossly expensive. I have gone to another garage who advertise servicing and repairing motorhomes for a comparison but I don't want to accept an inflated quote because Motorhomers have load of money, don't they?

I would like some thoughts from you guys on the subject.

Thanks for your replies

Those prices sound more reasonable and more like I was expecting. It looks like the prices are for changing the belt only not the tensioner etc.

I suppose it is not necessary after only 28000 miles to change the whole kit.

If the tensioner wasn't included in the cambelt kit and changed when I had mine done I would be very unhappy with the garage that did the job. I am surprised more people haven't replied for you to get a better idea of the average cost for this job.

I have got a quote today from a local garage who have a workshop set up for all motorhome servicing and repairs. They have quote £385 to include Belt, tensioner, water pump and replace water and inhibitor/antifreeze.

I am going to go with that and get a small service and safety check at the same time £180.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived