Insurance & Breakdown

IFFY

I'm new to all this so bear with me

*-)

We (my wife and I) are importing a used Hymer B544 (15yrs old) plated to 4000kg.

Can anyone recommend Breakdown & Insurance brokers that provide a service for this weight.

Standard AA / RAC / etc seem to limit European Cover to 3500kg and less than 11yrs old

We may well downplate to 3500kg if all proving a bit complicated but we still need breakdown to get it back to UK (insurance may be covered initially by trade plates).

Any advice welcome

The temporary export plates only cover you for 3rd party.

I wouldn't worry too much about having breakdown insurance. You would be very unlucky to breakdown during the 400 mile journey from Germany to UK.

If you are buying from a dealer, perhaps you could ask him about breakdown insurance for the European leg.

You can normally get fully comp insurance once you arrive in UK based on the VIN number.

Breakdown insurance for the UK leg might be more difficult as they would want your UK reg number which you wouldn't have yet obtained.

Best advice is to drive very carefully with fingers crossed. I did it with a brand new van and survived the journey.

Alternatively, put it on a lowloader and pick it up at the UK port of entry (or direct to your home). Approx cost would be about 1500 Euro based on others who have done this recently.

ADAC, the German AA will provide breakdown cover anywhere in Europe for any vehicle you are in ( note you don't even have to be driving).

Do a search on here for ADAC, there are a few posts. You get recovery home if it can't be fixed, driver if you are ill, partner covered as well, hotel bills, and lots more. "Plus" membership is £84 for a couple, beats the AA and RAC I think.

H

PS Yes, they even speak English and will enrol you over the phone.

breakaleg - 2016-02-11 2:44 PM

RAC Arrival purchased through the caravan and camping club will handle any size of van but you have to be a member.

Pete

The same applies regarding Mayday through The Caravan Club. It is provided by Green Flag, offers the same service as Arrival and is cheaper! We have found the service to be very good.

Thanks everyone for your input.

As we are really wet behind the ears on this - I'll be back with lots more questions I'm sure.

I'll look into the ADAC site.

Seems whichever way I look at it I need VIN number etc. of vehicle which haven't got yet.

Safeguard also provide insurance based on VIN number once it arrives in UK.

The policy also automatically includes AA breakdown insurance for UK and Europe. So, you would at least have breakdown insurance from the port of entry to your home.

IFFY - 2016-02-11 1:31 PM

I'm new to all this so bear with me

*-)

We (my wife and I) are importing a used Hymer B544 (15yrs old) plated to 4000kg.

Can anyone recommend Breakdown & Insurance brokers that provide a service for this weight.

Standard AA / RAC / etc seem to limit European Cover to 3500kg and less than 11yrs old

We may well downplate to 3500kg if all proving a bit complicated but we still need breakdown to get it back to UK (insurance may be covered initially by trade plates).

Any advice welcome

Are you aware of the modifications you will have to do for UK registration? If so, can you actually alter the headlamps to dip left? If the ones on your van don't convert to a flat beam, which is acceptable for the MoT test, you will have to source replacement lamp units, which may prove very costly (the current "teardrop" shaped units are near £1,000 each!). I suggest you check this asap if you have not already done so, as masks/benders cannot be used for registration.

You will also need to change the speedometer to read MPH in lieu of KPH. It would be a good idea to check availability of overlays for the make/model of base vehicle that underpins your Hymer. Try these people, as their service and product are very good: http://tinyurl.com/jorf9ym If the overlays are no longer available, you will need a new speedo head, which may be difficult to source. Again, if not already checked, I suggest you check these items as well.

The time taken to re-register in UK will be extended by sourcing these items, and getting them fixed and inspected. Most of the few insurance firms who will insure on VIN set quite short timescales for completion of the registration process. They are constrained by an obligation to enter the vehicle registration number on the Motor Insurer's database within a fixed period of issuing the insurance. If they don't, they are liable to penalties. If you can't get the van registered in time, you may have to cancel the insurance (or find the insurer cancels) and may not get back what you paid. If the van will be stored off-road while you get the changes made you should be OK, but it may be worth clarifying how the insurer will deal with this.

I'm sure the seller will be able to give you the VIN. Re insurance, as an alternative, have a look at this link to an earlier discussion about insurance for importing, with particular reference to Lime St Brokers/HPA: http://tinyurl.com/qc35mhk

Good luck.

Archived