Insurance NCD surprise

Petest

I've been self employed for 30 years until October and have had a large van insured for work and social, domestic and pleasure. I'm now employed and have a company vehicle.

I picked up our Elddis 100 on Wednesday and had to arrange insurance.

One of the insurers would recognise and use my full NCD. No one else would.

Seems crazy as surely someone that drives a large van for more miles than the average Joe covers and has never had an accident is a better risk than most people? ( No offence intended, just trying to highlight the experience gained).

Ended up going with the CC who, even though they don't take into account the NCD, were cheapest.

This is a subject I did not understand when I bought my first Motorhome.

I had the full no claims on my car for the last twenty years but I had to start afresh with the motorhome.

You can't drive them both as once as I pointed out to the companies but it was no good I just had to pay.

Now if you have a bump with one it effects the two which does seem I little unfair.

I was however told that if I gave up the car I could then transfer the NCD to the motorhome but I wanted to keep the car.

It's the same when I had the motorbike that was not transferable I can understand that one as two wheels is very different to four.

Basically they have you as you need insurance but it's always stacked in favour of the Insurance companies. We can complain all we want but this will not do any good.

The GO COMPARE website offers the following advice:

"No Claim Bonuses (NCBs) on multiple vehicles.

Your no claims bonus applies to a single car and, although it can be transferred to an alternative car, it can’t be applied to an additional car or another vehicle.

A number of insurers will give discounts or allow you to mirror your NCB on a second car, but you need to check with individual insurers to find out if they offer such incentives

It's possible to build up multiple NCBs on vehicles insured under different policies."

I insure my motorhome and my wife insures her car, and we each have full N.C.Ds. We each drive both vehicles, and also have our adult children insured on both vehicles ( they also have their own houses /families/vehicles. It costs very little to do this.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-15 8:22 AM

The GO COMPARE website offers the following advice:

"No Claim Bonuses (NCBs) on multiple vehicles.

Your no claims bonus applies to a single car and, although it can be transferred to an alternative car, it can’t be applied to an additional car or another vehicle.

A number of insurers will give discounts or allow you to mirror your NCB on a second car, but you need to check with individual insurers to find out if they offer such incentives

It's possible to build up multiple NCBs on vehicles insured under different policies."

But where it gets very interesting, have a claim on any policy and all the others want to know and may adjust to suit, and that includes the companies who don't mirror the NCB.

This happened to me in the last four weeks.

Like a lot of us, we have a car, Insured in my wife's name and I a named driver we have a sunseeker 115 purchased last may, new. me insured, my wife named driver.

Had a bump in the car and I was driving, chap in a brand new transit van (works) flashed a car through a narrow gap I followed two car lengths behind, he let the lead car out but pulled out into the gap, I could go nowhere so pulled the handbrake on and waited for the bump.

Phoned his boss up after exchanging details and decided to fix our own, long story.

Any way, renewed car insurance told them what had happened, no increase to insurance.

four weeks latter, motorhome insurance due, fully comp £500.00 bit steep but two years new for old, told them about bump, oh, insurer will no longer cover you, can only find this and it will cost you another £195.00 so £695.00! in all fairness he did say shop around, so I did, I got the same cover for £241.64p?

And it is with the insurer who could no longer insure me???

Strange world isn't it?

Pete

P.S three years new for old with new cover

Been around this loop exactly a month ago.

I have full no claims on my car and on my Motorcycle - phoned around several companies for quotes, and Safeguard gave me some discount because of my NCD (and they wanted to see proof) but it doesn't carry over, so I have started Motorhoming essentially with a zero NCB. So presumably next year it should come down in cost a fair bit. Found the Camping and Caravan club to be more expensive which was a small surprise. -

Safeguard along with a coupe of others get mentioned on here as one of the "go to" companies for Motorhome insurance,

Saying that, because I am over 50 years old, - The insurance on the van wasn't as scary as I though it might be, added my wife and the step daughter and partner - they are 23 years old, surprised I could get cover at all and that bumped the bill up a bit.

As you rightfully say, if I knock the van (or claim on any of my 3 vehicles) it will impact the insurance on the others, because they always ask - Have you been involved ?? - and if I get points eg Speeding - All 3 Insurance policies will go up which isn't a good thought.

Jonboymentalhealth - 2016-02-14 9:07 AM

Insurance never makes sense and no matter how many years no claims discount I have my insurance continues to go up every year.

My insurance with CCC has actually reduced in price for a few consecutive years.

Also when I first bought a campervan twelve years ago I still had a car - CCC gave me a discount on the van insurance in recognition of the years of no claims. Obviously it couldn't gave the exact number of "no claim years" but it was a healthy discount.

NCD has always been both vehicle and policy holder related, in that it goes with the policy holder - not any extra drivers unless as an expression of goodwill - and applies to any individual vehicle or policy on which it has been earned. This is not new and has always been thus.

The transfer of private car NCD to or from a commercial vehicle insurance has also always been discretionary - although I know not why - and again a lot depends on the atitudes of the underwriters.

The personal touch often helps here so a good broker with a sound relationship with his insurers or a phone call direct to the company can sometimes - but not always - work better than an onine quote.

It shouldn't be but it is a lottery and if you get enough entries (quotes) sooner or later you will get a winning ticket.

Although our insurance company wouldn't give us NCD, we did get something off and I needed to submit proof of No-claims so I guess it amounts to something, hopefully next year it will fall some more.

Didn't realise how much storage location mattered, - As part of our package our van has been stored at the dealer's although now we are moving it to a "private" area, our new area is used to store many caravans and motorhomes - it isn't CASSOA registered but does have reasonable security, tag to open the gates, CCTV, perimeter beam, large dog etc, - Interestingly there was no option for "Secure Private area" - there was only CASSOA registered or "Private area" and nothing in between.

I feared that we would receive a large bill - however simply moving the van from the dealers secure compound to our other area has saved us £17.50 - I can only guess that a dealers compound is considered a little more risky than our other storage area. Will buy a couple of pints at the next rally.

Archived