Propane getting ready for trip to France

Violet1956

not sure if this is any help, we are going late March, France-Spain we use in our MH the Gaslow refill system, and always fill up abroad where LPG is in some cases is much cheaper...with the Gaslow system we are able to connect our Gaslow 'Local Cylinder Connection Hose' to the campsites own bottle LPG supply thus saving money on our hook up Electricity bill......

PS, most Lpg supplied within EU is a mix of Propane and Bultane

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those with a Gaslow refillable system and use the Spanish on site Repsol cylinders, it may be useful to know that Gaslow supply a picktail that goes from the free standing cylinder to the filling point on the outside of the motorhome.Thus, the gas flows through the cylinder in the gas locker. The advantage of this is that the locker door can be closed and not be propped open to accomodate the picktail being attached direct to the fixed regulator.

John

Derek Uzzell - 2016-03-04 8:27 AM

Violet

One final caveat...

You’ve got the gas-hose; you’ve got the adapter; make sure you also have appropriate tools to fit them. ;-)

Thanks for your last two posts Derek. Re-assured about the pigtain thingy. I will make sure we carry the right tools. Don't know what I'd do without all the advice here. When will the day come when I can answer other people's questions I wonder?

So far this is proving to be an expensive trip with all the gear we need. :-(

witzend - 2016-03-02 5:01 PM

Brian Kirby - 2016-03-02 10:59 AM

Intermarche is well represented right across France, so an own brand from them should be a safe bet, but others, such as Cora, Match and ATAC are more regional, and may present difficulties when trying to exchange if you have moved out of their area. .

Intermarche Locations GPS https://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/france/shopping/Intermarche-FR.html

Thanks for the link very handy indeed.

• 4 weeks later...
Update. Well everthing was going swimmingly with my plans for the gas we would need in France based on the advice here on the forum. I bought the butane pigtail and the clip-on adaptor for Le Cube. The OH then decides we are not only going to stay in France but travelling through Belgium, luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Italy. Bought Le cube at an Intermarche on arrival in France . By the time we got to Italy we were worried we were low on gas and fortunately the campsite we were on were happy to loan us a propane bottle. The UK butane pigtail minus the clip on adapter didn't fit the bottle so it was a trip into Bruneck to find a supplier. Turns out it was a German bottle which required a special fitting which took a man at Lahner gas in an industrial zone just outside Bruneck ages to find. Eventually supplied us with the requisite fitting for the German bottle and one for an Italian bottle for 20 Euros. All in all a time consuming and frustrating business. What's the point of being in the EU if every country has its individual gas fittings we wondered. Wasted half a day of leisure time on the entire process. I think we would have saved a lot of bother and for a little more expense which we would recover over time if we had fitted a gaslow type system. Persuading OH of that is a bit tricky given the high start up cost. I've spent a tidy sum on other accesories already. So far he reckons buying a van and all the necessaries has cost us about £2000 for every night we've been away - daft I know since van's resale value not included but it does make you stop and think about how expensive this MH business is. That said we are totally smitten with the idea of wandering wherever we like. It was a fantastic holiday and the scenery on the way and on arrival in the Dolomites at this time of year is stunning. As for campsites the Austrians won handsdown. :-D

Violet1956 - 2016-03-29 10:45 AM........................ I think we would have saved a lot of bother and for a little more expense which we would recover over time if we had fitted a gaslow type system. Persuading OH of that is a bit tricky given the high start up cost. I've spent a tidy sum on other accesories already. So far he reckons buying a van and all the necessaries has cost us about £2000 for every night we've been away - daft I know since van's resale value not included but it does make you stop and think about how expensive this MH business is. That said we are totally smitten with the idea of wandering wherever we like. It was a fantastic holiday and the scenery on the way and on arrival in the Dolomites at this time of year is stunning. As for campsites the Austrians won handsdown. :-D

It is the price of spontaneity Violet. If you are inclined to veer off your planned itinerary and visit other countries, you have little option but to adopt refillable cylinders - or a least one such. There is, as you have discovered, no commonality between gas cylinder connections in the various countries, and also, apart from Camping Gaz (Butane only, all small cylinders), no cross border exchange facility either. So, you either accumulate a collection of pigtails to suit where you have been, plus a collection of various nationality exchange cylinders that you can only return when in their "home" country, or you get a refillable.

Offset the cost of the pigtails and the non-returnable cylinders (or the trips you would have to make to return them), plus the lower cost of autogas, against the cost of the refillable, and you should see break even, in cost terms, within a few trips.

Alternatively, use the ploy I first suggested, of one 13kg Calor and one 13kg Butagaz from France. We have travelled quite widely, in spring and autumn, for just on 10 years, and that combination has always given us sufficient gas for up to 11 weeks at a stretch. However, we use campsites with EHU 98% of the time, and we use the site facilities to the maximum. So, apart from boiling a kettle during lunch stops, the only use of gas is for cooking (hob only) and a bit of heating when it gets chilly.

We generally head south fairly quickly in spring and return back north ditto in autumn, so our exposure to low temperatures is reduced. We also avoid mountains, wherever possible, in early spring/late autumn when the snows often end late/start early and the minor passes get (unpredictably) closed, plus I have no desire to faff about with chains.

Brian Kirby - 2016-03-29 2:28 PM

Violet1956 - 2016-03-29 10:45 AM........................ I think we would have saved a lot of bother and for a little more expense which we would recover over time if we had fitted a gaslow type system. Persuading OH of that is a bit tricky given the high start up cost. I've spent a tidy sum on other accesories already. So far he reckons buying a van and all the necessaries has cost us about £2000 for every night we've been away - daft I know since van's resale value not included but it does make you stop and think about how expensive this MH business is. That said we are totally smitten with the idea of wandering wherever we like. It was a fantastic holiday and the scenery on the way and on arrival in the Dolomites at this time of year is stunning. As for campsites the Austrians won handsdown. :-D

It is the price of spontaneity Violet. If you are inclined to veer off your planned itinerary and visit other countries...

I blame myself Brian. Having been married to a interminable wanderer who never likes a plan for thirty years I should have realised that once behind the wheel he would go anywhere. We did use a route I see you have suggested on the forum a while back down through Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Austria over the Fern Pass to avoid motorway tolls down to Italy. We went over the Brenner pass which cost a few euros thus avoiding the expensive Swiss tolls for using their motorways. The Austrian system of paying tourist tolls depending on the number of days you use their motorways is much fairer although we did have a interesting tour around Fussen trying to find a garage that sold the Austrian vignette. We are still amateurs at the MH game but the learning curve is steep.

Archived