Keeping batteries charged

nimpy1

I have just had to replace my vehicle battery to my 2011 auto trail chieftain which went completely flat in less than three weeks. What now is the best way to keep this battery charged. Should I regularly plug it into electric and use the on board charger or will a short journey every few weeks suffice?

nimpy1 - 2016-02-15 3:35 PMI have just had to replace my vehicle battery to my 2011 auto trail chieftain which went completely flat in less than three weeks. What now is the best way to keep this battery charged. Should I regularly plug it into electric and use the on board charger or will a short journey every few weeks suffice?

If we're talking about a five year old engine battery, maybe it had a fair service life and needed replacing anyway so there isn't necessarily  anything wrong with your charging system.

If your MH has a good on board charging system and you have access to mains, then leaving it connected to an EHU throughout winter should do the trick.  I left my MH like that during winter for over ten years without problems.

If your MH is stored outdoors where there is no power, then a solar panel should provide enough power to maintain your batteries - and would be worth spending money on as an accessory anyway if you ever stop overnight off mains.

We have had AutoTrails for 13 years now with a max age of five years. We keep ours on a secure site and in winter we charge both batteries fully and leave them about 25 days. The only consumption is our Phantom alarm which also provides us with a remote voltage reading. After 25 days we give the van a run of about five miles to warm everything up and keep the tyres etc OK and then fully charge again. We continue the charging until the current feed to the batteries on the control panel is about 0.3amps. The batteries will then last for another 25 days and will still provide a voltage reading of over 12. Our only change to this routine is if the weather is very cold for a week or so at minus 5 degrees as the battery output is reduced the colder the weather. Would bring the van home after 18 days then. Fingers crossed no problems so far.

Archived