warning light on dash

Alleycat

I have an Autocruise mh fitted with a Peugeot 2.8JTD engine.on our trip down to spain last sept this warning light came on the dash, it looks like gearbox symbol and so I checked it out via the hand book and itsaid it was to do with the fuel particular filter. I changed the fuel filter and also re renewed the air filter and this cured the light for a while but on our return journey in nov it came back on . the van traveled has it usually does and performed well but I did notice that when pulling really hard it was emitting atrial of black smoke,could this be because of using euro cheap fuel or is it time to renew the fuel partical filter, if so at what cost is this item ? any thoughts or advice welcome ( 35000miles 2005)

Billggski - 2016-02-15 5:10 PM

The diesel particulate filter (dpf) is in your exhaust system, and gets blocked up, it should regenerate with long runs, but may need a forced regeneration by a garage.

The fuel and air filters are separate items,

The 2005 model did not have a DPF.

I would get the diesel filter replaced, and get the EGR valve checked over as it could need cleaning or even possibly stuck.

John.

Hello,

As already established; your vehicle does not have a DPF, nor does it have a warning symbol that looks like a gearbox but there is a red one that looks like an engine and this indicates that something which could affect the emissions is not right. I am going to guess that is what you have.......

The most important thing to do is to get the vehicle plugged in to find out what has been reported. You may see a fault code for 'MAP' or Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. There is probably nothing wrong with the sensor but this, along with the excessive black smoke would suggest that there is a small hole in your intercooler. If the air is escaping (even a little) this will upset the sensor in the inlet manifold. It could be a couple of other things but that would be my guess. The smoke can also be caused by a hole in a turbo pipe, but this will always cause a significant reduction in power as well as the smoke.

If there is something wrong with an injector (very rare) or the electrical connections to the injectors this will illuminate the warning light and could cause smoke but there would be a miss-fire and loss of power. Other devices like the air flow meter can put the light on but this would not explain the smoke.

Get it checked at a Fiat dealer or a Bosch injection centre. There are many other places that can test this but generic test equipment can only go so far and the experts will be able to interpret the results and combine that with their own experience of past cases. Amateurs armed only with basic scanning tools will normally only end up changing the devices listed and this will invariably cost you more than a professional diagnosis would have; and you might well end up there anyway!

Nick

PS. The water in fuel light is always orange (non critical) and looks like a tank with fluid in it. Historically with Fiat and Iveco vehicles this is because the sensor has had it rather than there being too much moisture int he fuel!

hi. after having a remap on my old 2.8 engine. the warning light would always come on for a bit. when the engine was being worked, going up hills, pulling away from lights etc. I did nothing about for a year and then sold the van. it was an auto trail was its not yours. michael

Archived