Tail chasing newbie requesting help.......

Aus

Hi folks!

As the subject header says I'm a MH newbie, and before I feel compelled to dig out my old spud gun and shoot myself with it I thought I'd put out a plea for help.

This is my first post on here, so firstly hello everyone! Secondly, if I'm posting in the wrong place I must apologise.

OK, I'll try and keep this short but also as detailed as possible, in hope that the wealth of knowledge and experience that you guys n gals have may just help point us in the right direction.

After a the loss of both my parents in 2015 (this is by no means a sob story, more a positive one), myself and my partner decided to say our good byes to the rat race and do what what makes us both happy. We, and both our dogs, are lovers of the outdoors and new adventures. So we thought what better way than to purchase our first MH and take to the roads in search of both.

After many hours (and I do mean MANY) of reading, browsing and researching in sorts, we finally took a couple of days off to start the search for a suitable MH and visited several dealers. It didn't take long before the many hours spent 'researching' might as well of been spent reading about gardening tips for the Antarctic! So without further a do.......HELP!

Info I can give you....

1, Myself, my partner and our two dogs will be spending 6 months travelling the UK firstly, starting in July. After a bit of international travel, not in the MH, we will be coming back and continuing our MH travels around Europe. There is no time limit on this.

2, I have a licence that allows me to drive over 3500kg. Its the pre 97 licence.

3, We have both agreed on several things, including a fixed bed layout, a garage area, a bathroom with separate or isolated shower cubicle and enough floor/ lounge area for ourselves and the dogs to be comfortable whilst in the MH. One of the dogs being a large Labrador size and the other being a Sausage dog.

4, Not a 'tag axle'. I know there are many ideas on the phrase tag axle so to be clear I refer to the 3 axle and 6 wheels not the 2 axle 6 wheel 'twin wheel types', as these would be fine.

5, An increased payload or carrying capacity, as we will be taking with us quite a bit of outdoorsey gear etc.

6, We may decide to purchase a little run around car and tow this behind the MH.

7, Winterised or at least capable of being able to deal with cold climates.

8, Wild camping will be a fairly big part of our adventures.

9, Our budget will be £30-35k maximum. Preferably less if possible!

With all this in mind, has anybody got any recommendations so I can leave my trusty old spud gun well and truly where it lies??

Sorry for the waffle, thank you for any advice in advance and if feel free to ask any more questions if I have left anything out.

Kind regards

A clueless newbie *-)

I think you have quite a bit of your requirements sorted, print this list out, go to the next big show, gand a copy of it to every manufacturer, and let them do the work for you.

They will be happy to tell you what they can offer from their range, giving you a short list to work with.

Really hope you find what you are looking for.

Just one thought - with your budget range you'll be looking at used not new. So it will be more a matter of dealers or classified than asking manufacturers. It might help if you said what area you live - someone might then be able to suggest one of the better dealers local to you? The mention of Harrogate suggests Yorkshire - maybe David Fuller in Notts worth a trip? You could check websites for idea of stock and maybe layout too.

Solwaybuggier - 2016-02-16 7:52 AM

Just one thought - with your budget range you'll be looking at used not new. So it will be more a matter of dealers or classified than asking manufacturers. It might help if you said what area you live - someone might then be able to suggest one of the better dealers local to you? The mention of Harrogate suggests Yorkshire - maybe David Fuller in Notts worth a trip? You could check websites for idea of stock and maybe layout too.

Hi Solway!

Thanks for the input.

Yep, Harrogate is where we are based, but I don't mind travelling at all. I've been round several dealers both in Yorkshire & Lancashire looking at possible candidates. My head is still spinning (lol)

It will be a used MH that we are looking for, so any helpful info on dealers etc would be hugely appreciated. I haven't ruled out private sales at all but, as I'm sure many if not all of you have experienced, the choices appear to be unlimited! Hopefully with some advice and tips from you guys n gals on the forum, I may be able to narrow the search down a little.

We really do appreciate the help and advice that people are willing to offer. It's brilliant!

Billggski - 2016-02-16 9:58 AM

Just a "left field" suggestion, have you considered an American rv?

A hell of a lot for your money, especially if you are full timing.

Issues over size I know, but well within your budget.

(with diesel at less than 80p a litre in Europe, it's now more reasonable)

Hi Billggski!

To be honest, nope! Being the wet behind the ears newbie that I am finding out that I am, I kinda ruled out the American rv's for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. Without doing my homework I just thought they'd be, well, typically American! Oversized, over complicated and an engine that would be bigger than the car we plan to tow that would require a small oil refinery to run it. Apologies at this point to all the RV owners. I am a numpty newbie so please take it easy on me *-)

I certainly wouldn't rule them out providing one exists that is shorter than the M1 and wouldn't require me calling in the RAF for in-transit refueling. Sorry again RV owners ;-)

Any advice (or light hearted abuse) on the subject would be warmly welcomed.

Randonneur - 2016-02-16 10:29 AM

Have a look at Richard Baldwins of Halifax, we have recently bought our latest van from them and had excellent service. Its a family firm not a big Franchise.

Hi Randonneur!

Ha ha we were at Richard Baldwins yesterday! The chap we were speaking with, Richard (not Baldwin), did appear to be giving us some belting advice. He pointed us towards an ADRIA 660SL, which was pretty close to what we were looking for, apart from being a bit too small in the lounge/dining area as we have the dogs. Haven't had time to do my homework on the payload capacity and 'winterability' (it sounded good to me) yet, but it certainly did give us a fairly good idea of what we may be looking for.

Really chuffed with all the responses already! :-D

It sounds like a European made van would be best for you ........ which rules out British made vans as they are not winterised.

The layout you want is basically the European style and you have plenty of choice. I have had 2 Burstners and have been happy with them. They were/are tag axle vans and 8.2 metres long so easy enough to get on Aires and Sites. The large amount of lounging area and separate showers made them ideal for long terming. Don't rule them out until you have sat in a couple of them. They also have a huge payload and acres of storage as they are double floored.

Others to consider are Cathargo, Neismann and Bischoff and Hymer. Rapido are very good French made vans but some have a more limited payload.

Catterick Caravans and Tyne Valley Motorhomes have good reputations (my current van came from TVM.

Good luck

747 - 2016-02-16 12:39 PM

It sounds like a European made van would be best for you ........ which rules out British made vans as they are not winterised.

The layout you want is basically the European style and you have plenty of choice. I have had 2 Burstners and have been happy with them. They were/are tag axle vans and 8.2 metres long so easy enough to get on Aires and Sites. The large amount of lounging area and separate showers made them ideal for long terming. Don't rule them out until you have sat in a couple of them. They also have a huge payload and acres of storage as they are double floored.

Others to consider are Cathargo, Neismann and Bischoff and Hymer. Rapido are very good French made vans but some have a more limited payload.

Catterick Caravans and Tyne Valley Motorhomes have good reputations (my current van came from TVM.

Good luck

Thanks for your response 747!

Several people have mentioned looking at European models now, mainly due to them being winterised, so I definitely think this is the route i need to head down. This will really help in narrowing down the search.

As you have had 2 TAG's, have you had many or any problems with the size and or maneuverability? Also (please forgive my newbiness!) with the size etc, would they be suitable for wild camping?

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out the web sites and take a trip up to the fore mentioned dealers to see if they have any suitable MH's.

Aus - 2016-02-16 10:44 AM

Have a look at Richard Baldwins of Halifax, we have recently bought our latest van from them and had excellent service. Its a family firm not a big Franchise.

Hi Randonneur!

Ha ha we were at Richard Baldwins yesterday! The chap we were speaking with, Richard (not Baldwin), did appear to be giving us some belting advice. He pointed us towards an ADRIA 660SL, which was pretty close to what we were looking for, apart from being a bit too small in the lounge/dining area as we have the dogs. Haven't had time to do my homework on the payload capacity and 'winterability' (it sounded good to me) yet, but it certainly did give us a fairly good idea of what we may be looking for.

Yes it was Richard Ackroyd that dealt with us when we bought the van. As he is a motorhomer himself he knew the answers to the questions we were asking, and although this is our 4th van our previous 3 have all been bought in France so we weren't used to UK spec vans.

Have a look at Pilote vans, our last van was a Pilote and that was winterised, double floor etc., heated tanks, excellent build as well. Ours was a low profile but probably an A class would be suitable for you.

Three things.

First, the bigger the van the more it costs, so think hard about how much space you really need. On a fixed budget, the bigger the van, the older it will be. As a generalisation, the sorts of vans you will probably find best suited you your proposed travel plans will need to be robust and well built. These kinds of van are seldom the cheapest. If you're going to drive abroad a lot, have you considered a LHD van? They tend to be cheaper than RHD, so should give better value from your budget. Do you know of Edge Hill Motorhomes, at Mansfield, just outside Nottingham? They import LHD vans, mostly Hymer, mainly from Germany, and usually have reasonable stock to inspect. Link: http://tinyurl.com/nsw5poj Proprietor is Lee Broadhurst, and is a very agreeable and helpful person, and he knows his Hymers better than some Hymer dealers!

Second, follow this link and buy the book: http://tinyurl.com/h6638uf It is full of information. Its is written and self-published by motorhomers for motorhomers, and it may save you a lot of money and heartache. Many people get the first van wrong, and changing is an expensive game.

Third, consider hiring before you buy, and try to hire something close to what you presently consider ideal. I know it is a costly suggestion, but far less so than buying a van that eventually doesn't work for you. It is odd how one's perceptions of the ideal van change when actually using one, rather than imagining doing so!

Aus - 2016-02-16 1:16 PM

Good luck

Several people have mentioned looking at European models now, mainly due to them being winterised, so I definitely think this is the route i need to head down. This will really help in narrowing down the search.

As you have had 2 TAG's, have you had many or any problems with the size and or maneuverability? Also (please forgive my newbiness!) with the size etc, would they be suitable for wild camping?

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out the web sites and take a trip up to the fore mentioned dealers to see if they have any suitable MH's.

Hi Aus,

I have not had any real problems with the length of Tag axle vans but I do my homework before any trip and you should never trust Satnavs implicitly as they can get you into trouble very easily. 8-) If you get into trouble, there is not much difference between a 6 metre van and a longer one, you are still in trouble. ;-)

As for wildcamping in one, we wildcamp regularly but mostly use the C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites which are a halfway house between proper sites and wilding. Tag axle vans are all over 3500 Kg, so some routes on the Continent may be a problem due to weight restrictions (especially France), a little bit of planning will lessen that though. People on the forums are always happy to help someone out, especially if they are newbies.

I will drop you a PM with info about wilding if that is OK with you. :D

I wouldn't think it's a good idea to take into account the CURRENT relatively cheap cost of diesel when planning your purchase.

I hear today that several nations / producers are finally planning to get together to cut production - so no doubt we can look forward to the price of diesel rising in the not too distant future.

:-(

Interestingly, later reports are that ' planned ' production cuts have now been denied - but in such an unstable world I wouldn't like to bet that diesel prices wiil remain low.

;-)

Randonneur - 2016-02-16 3:35 PM

Aus - 2016-02-16 10:44 AM

Hi Randonneur!

Yes it was Richard Ackroyd that dealt with us when we bought the van. As he is a motorhomer himself he knew the answers to the questions we were asking, and although this is our 4th van our previous 3 have all been bought in France so we weren't used to UK spec vans.

Have a look at Pilote vans, our last van was a Pilote and that was winterised, double floor etc., heated tanks, excellent build as well. Ours was a low profile but probably an A class would be suitable for you.

That was the fella! To be fair he did seem pretty straight up, even for a salesman B-)

I do like the feel of the A class'. I've sat in a few whilst looking around the dealerships and I really liked the feel of them. Obviously I understand that sitting in one on a dealership forecourt and driving one around the highlands of Scotland are two massively different things, but I did like the feel all the same.

Thanks again for the info Randonneur!

Hi Aus and welcome

I have always fancied getting a 5th wheel but think I am a bit old now but it may fit your requirements. The advantage being you do not need to get a car to tow behind and if you are spending a long time away you don't need to leave a big car at home. There are not many around so getting what you want to fit your requirements at a suitable price may be difficult. This web site glamourizes them

http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/

They do come in different sizes if you want a more compact one.

Good Hunting!

Brian Kirby - 2016-02-16 5:00 PM

Three things.

First, the bigger the van the more it costs, so think hard about how much space you really need. On a fixed budget, the bigger the van, the older it will be. As a generalisation, the sorts of vans you will probably find best suited you your proposed travel plans will need to be robust and well built. These kinds of van are seldom the cheapest. If you're going to drive abroad a lot, have you considered a LHD van? They tend to be cheaper than RHD, so should give better value from your budget. Do you know of Edge Hill Motorhomes, at Mansfield, just outside Nottingham? They import LHD vans, mostly Hymer, mainly from Germany, and usually have reasonable stock to inspect. Link: http://tinyurl.com/nsw5poj Proprietor is Lee Broadhurst, and is a very agreeable and helpful person, and he knows his Hymers better than some Hymer dealers!

Second, follow this link and buy the book: http://tinyurl.com/h6638uf It is full of information. Its is written and self-published by motorhomers for motorhomers, and it may save you a lot of money and heartache. Many people get the first van wrong, and changing is an expensive game.

Third, consider hiring before you buy, and try to hire something close to what you presently consider ideal. I know it is a costly suggestion, but far less so than buying a van that eventually doesn't work for you. It is odd how one's perceptions of the ideal van change when actually using one, rather than imagining doing so!

Hi Brian!

The size of the van is probably one of the biggest head scratchers for me. I appreciate that size comes with a price, but telling that to my good lady is a whooooooole different matter. She would put wheels on our house if she could! (lol)

The idea of buying LHD sounds like a good one to me. Being the newbie that I am I hadn't considered that buying a LHD would save us some pennies, so yet again another really useful and welcomed piece of advice!

Just purchased the book of Amazon and I'll be having a chat with my good lady this eve about having a bit of a practice run like you suggested.

Thanks again Brian!

747 - 2016-02-16 5:30 PM

Aus - 2016-02-16 1:16 PM

Good luck

Hi Aus,

I have not had any real problems with the length of Tag axle vans but I do my homework before any trip and you should never trust Satnavs implicitly as they can get you into trouble very easily. 8-) If you get into trouble, there is not much difference between a 6 metre van and a longer one, you are still in trouble. ;-)

As for wildcamping in one, we wildcamp regularly but mostly use the C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites which are a halfway house between proper sites and wilding. Tag axle vans are all over 3500 Kg, so some routes on the Continent may be a problem due to weight restrictions (especially France), a little bit of planning will lessen that though. People on the forums are always happy to help someone out, especially if they are newbies.

I will drop you a PM with info about wilding if that is OK with you. :D

Got your PM :-D

Thanks for the advice on that one. Wild camping will definitely play a big part in our travels, so that info will definitely be useful.

Ha ha, I suppose you're right. When your stuck, your stuck! :-S I think I should try giving one a test drive before I discard the idea of a TAG all together.

malc d - 2016-02-16 5:56 PM

I wouldn't think it's a good idea to take into account the CURRENT relatively cheap cost of diesel when planning your purchase.

I hear today that several nations / producers are finally planning to get together to cut production - so no doubt we can look forward to the price of diesel rising in the not too distant future.

:-(

Interestingly, later reports are that ' planned ' production cuts have now been denied - but in such an unstable world I wouldn't like to bet that diesel prices wiil remain low.

;-)

Hey Malc, thanks for the heads up.

I'd never EVER rely on Diesel prices staying low. The big wigs n bosses have to but their Million dollar motorhomes and boats somehow ;-)

I think I'll be looking at possibly lpg conversions and re-mapping to help keep costs down. Thats if they prove cost effective, obviously (?)

Cliffy - 2016-02-16 6:26 PM

Hi Aus and welcome

I have always fancied getting a 5th wheel but think I am a bit old now but it may fit your requirements. The advantage being you do not need to get a car to tow behind and if you are spending a long time away you don't need to leave a big car at home. There are not many around so getting what you want to fit your requirements at a suitable price may be difficult. This web site glamourizes them

http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/

They do come in different sizes if you want a more compact one.

Good Hunting!

Well that's a fantastic looking spanner you've just thrown into my works Cliffy!

Never heard of or seen these before. A cross between a MH and a caravan? Advantages & disadvantages??

My word, I thought I was green when it came to MHs but now I feel like Kermit the frog! 8-)

I'm unsure of the precise definition but a 5th wheeler when not connected to it's tow half is a caravan and not a motorhome and would be ineligible to leave on an aire unless intact - and even then due to it's size unpopular or even unparkable in locations where space is tight.

Sorry to be another potential spanner hurler, as we too can see the attractions!

Archived