Tail chasing newbie requesting help.......

Aus

Tracker - 2016-02-16 8:15 PM

I'm unsure of the precise definition but a 5th wheeler when not connected to it's tow half is a caravan and not a motorhome and would be ineligible to leave on an aire unless intact - and even then due to it's size unpopular or even unparkable in locations where space is tight.

Sorry to be another potential spanner hurler, as we too can see the attractions!

I agree,Rich, although we did see one on an Aire at Lacanau, on the Gironde Estuary, in the pine forest there, but that was the only one.

Aus - 2016-02-16 6:40 PM.............................The size of the van is probably one of the biggest head scratchers for me. I appreciate that size comes with a price, but telling that to my good lady is a whooooooole different matter. She would put wheels on our house if she could! (lol) .....................

Not another spanner, I hope, but large vans can be problematic - depending on where you want to go. Some of the more offbeat places around Europe are down small roads where larger vans may prove a handful if you meet anything larger than a car, and some of the offbeat places themselves would be problematic if you were to meet a scooter! Narrow roads, badly parked cars, and overhanging balconies etc convinced me to keep the van as compact as we felt we could live with.

Width, rather than length, seems to me the greatest restriction, followed quite quickly by height.

Weight is less restrictive, as there are not that many restrictions. A lot refer to commercial vehicles only, and most of the others can be got around via alternative routes.

Inevitably, this varies from country to country, and from region to region. Motorways are almost invariably OK, though a few in Italy have quite "tight" lane widths. Main roads can be quite tight, and those in the UK are frequently also intruded on by roadside vegetation that not infrequently hides bits of branch big enough to damage a motorhome.

But, if you want to explore villages in the Alps, the Apennines, the Pelopennese, the mountains of northern Greece, or in the remoter parts parts of almost any country, you are likely to find the smallest van you can comfortably live with an advantage. This is where I think that trial run may pay dividends. Size is good when on the inside, but can take the edge right off the pleasure when driving! Good luck with your search.

As Brian says - size is not everything!

I have seen plenty of large vans at shows with layouts that just do not work for us - maybe they don't work for others too or why would they be on sale secondhand!

Layout with space to move about, space to cook, space to shower, sleeping arrangements that work for you (and we all have different ideas about that!), comfortable lounging, a washroom that works without elbow banging or claustrophobia, and plenty of storage.

A tall order yes but not impossible especialy if you visit some of the coming season's outdoor shows with a view to doing a lot of looking and note taking before you take the plunge.

Before settling on a van I would consider the practical and legal issues surrounding towing a car with a motorhome abroad. Using A frames is problematic abroad for reasons others might explain and a trailer is probably the best legal way but not always the most practical if you want to wildcamp and access areas that might be difficult with a towed vehicle.

Hi guys!

Apologies for not replying to individual posts this morning. The rat race calls :-S

Thanks again for all the help and advice that you guys are offering. It certainly helps to have the advice of experienced motorhomers and travellers. Like Brian said, I suspect the first MH you buy is possibly the one where people make the biggest and most costly mistakes, so all pointers, ideas, experiences and recommendations are more than appreciated.

If anybody knows where I could purchase a winterised 'Tardis' it would really help to take away a lot of the head scratching 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys & gals!

Just another quick thank you for all your input and info.

We spent the day down at the NEC yesterday and although we still haven't purchased anything yet, we certainly have narrowed down our searches and we're feeling more confident with everything. Next month its our home town in Harrogate and then the biggy in Peterborough, providing we haven't bought anything by then.

If we purchase anything or have any more questions, which is pretty much a certainty, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Hope you all had a good weekend whether you were out and about, at the show or just planning your next venture!

Cheers, Aus.

Aus - 2016-02-16 10:34 AM

Billggski - 2016-02-16 9:58 AM

Just a "left field" suggestion, have you considered an American rv?

A hell of a lot for your money, especially if you are full timing.

Issues over size I know, but well within your budget.

(with diesel at less than 80p a litre in Europe, it's now more reasonable)

Hi Billggski!

To be honest, nope! Being the wet behind the ears newbie that I am finding out that I am, I kinda ruled out the American rv's for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. Without doing my homework I just thought they'd be, well, typically American! Oversized, over complicated and an engine that would be bigger than the car we plan to tow that would require a small oil refinery to run it. Apologies at this point to all the RV owners. I am a numpty newbie so please take it easy on me *-)

I certainly wouldn't rule them out providing one exists that is shorter than the M1 and wouldn't require me calling in the RAF for in-transit refueling. Sorry again RV owners ;-)

Any advice (or light hearted abuse) on the subject would be warmly welcomed.

Petrol powered, large engined RV 's, tend to be cheaper to purchase (for obvious reasons) BUT have it converted to run on LPG, much more economical and Green ! Some are already converted, loads of space and comfort, of course you need the license to drive it, a Grandfather's rights upto 7500kg. One. But worth a consideration.

The original posts states that the intention is to spend 6 months in the UK and later in Europe. Sorry but an RV in the UK is not a realistic possibility especially as the intention is to tow a car as well as wildcamp. Neither is a petrol powered motorhome as for all practical purposes they are simply not available especially as there are specific requirements about layout.

Although tag axle vans give payload and space,

They have some serious drawbacks all being FWD. Traction is related to the percentage of weight on the driving wheels, alpine hairpins, uneven ground, wet grass or even steep hills in the wet can have them scrabbling for grip.

They tend to be long wheelbase and the turning circle is related to wheelbase,

All vehicles like all houses are a compromise and sitting a house on wheels multiplies the effect.

I am not a dog owner but many friends motorhome with them and they seem to adapt to restricted space. Some just sleep when travelling while others I suspect would like to learn to drive. If there is space the sausage will likely decide its den is under the passenger seat.

Never decide on a purchase sat in its lounge. Do it sat in the drivers seat after a decent test drive but remember its unladen and will never go so well again.

Getting it wrong first time is not obligatory. We are on our second van in 18 years. The original spec was the smallest we thought we could live for a month without a divorce. It was an Auto Sleepers Clubman about 18 ft long. Kept it for eight years and around 70,000 miles. Went to 20 ft long when g/daughter wanted to come.

Ps Congratulations on the greeting guys and gals. I am to old for this unisex guys bit.

George Collings - 2016-02-29 9:39 PMAlthough tag axle vans give payload and space, They have some serious drawbacks all being FWD. Traction is related to the percentage of weight on the driving wheels, alpine hairpins, uneven ground, wet grass or even steep hills in the wet can have them scrabbling for grip. They tend to be long wheelbase and the turning circle is related to wheelbase,....

You sound like someone who has discounted tag axle motorhomes on theoretical grounds. 

I owned one for many years and was delighted with it.  Traction was never a problem on ordinary roads, even towing biggish trailers (such as a horse box - don't ask why!) and we've got stuck off road on wet ground more often in our current two axle motorhome than we ever did in the tag axle.  Very stable on motorways, a wonderful vehicle and I would have another anytime.

StuartO - 2016-03-01 10:25 AM.........................You sound like someone who has discounted tag axle motorhomes on theoretical grounds.  ........................

So, with which of Georges following comments do you disagree, Stuart? Implying the poster lacks relevant experience doesn't necessarily mean he is wrong, or correct what you think is wrong. After all, George didn't say they were flawed on motorways of for towing horse-boxes. He's quite specific on where he sees the downsides.

"They have some serious drawbacks all being FWD. Traction is related to the percentage of weight on the driving wheels, alpine hairpins, uneven ground, wet grass or even steep hills in the wet can have them scrabbling for grip.

They tend to be long wheelbase and the turning circle is related to wheelbase, ..."

Archived