Contactless cards

hallii

I have just received my new debits cards they are not contactless. They replace the previous ones which were.

My bank happily agreed to send me the new ones, but only after I mentioned moving to a bank that would.

If you are not happy with contactless cards, and I am not, phone your bank and insist that you don't want them. They CAN provide non contactless cards.

H

hallii - 2016-02-19 5:13 PM

I have just received my new debits cards they are not contactless. They replace the previous ones which were.

My bank happily agreed to send me the new ones, but only after I mentioned moving to a bank that would.

If you are not happy with contactless cards, and I am not, phone your bank and insist that you don't want them. They CAN provide non contactless cards.

H

I'd be interested to know what your concern is regarding contactless cards- security presumably?

From our perspective, they are one of the handiest recent personal finance innovations around. No need to carry cash and easy to pay for items costing as little as pence. Stick all we can on the cashback credit cards. Every little helps...

Given the maximum risk on contactless is £30, as far as I'm aware, I can only see the positives.

mikebeaches - 2016-02-19 5:44 PM

Given the maximum risk on contactless is £30, as far as I'm aware, I can only see the positives.

Fraid not, in Russia criminals have found a way to strip all the details from the card and empty accounts using a mobile app, so expect it to happen across the world.

Read a test last year on security for contactless cards, nothing beat covering the cards(or card wallet) with cooking foil.

I haven't trusted them from the beginning, I have a tinfoil envelope in my wallet that holds my 2 debit cards and my Barclaycard all contactless. No hassle, and always enter pin, never use contactless payments. Didn't ask for it, and will never use it, Remote skimming is too easy with contactless. Waste of their investment, be better if they paid more interest on savings, that would catch my attention.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-19 6:14 PM

I haven't trusted them from the beginning, I have a tinfoil envelope in my wallet that holds my 2 debit cards and my Barclaycard all contactless. No hassle, and always enter pin, never use contactless payments. Didn't ask for it, and will never use it, Remote skimming is too easy with contactless. Waste of their investment, be better if they paid more interest on savings, that would catch my attention.

Hear Hear.

Peter

Personally, I'm a huge fan. Barclaycard gave me a sticky RFID 'pad' to attach to the back of my phone so I don't even need to carry the actual card. Wish my high street bank offered the same sticky pad!

Also worth a mention, not a single case of contactless card fraud has ever been reported. Ever :)

Sure they're vulnerable, but you're (whatever percentage) more likely to have you card skimmed in a dodgy cashpoint machine or petrol station that you are to fall victim to contactless fraud. That said, someone has to be the first (lol)

(By fraud, I mean skimmed/scanned, not just 'used' because your card was lost or stolen)

The main thing that puts me off either contactless cards or even using credit cards willy nilly, is keeping control of your spending. Some may state that thye just check the balance and pay it all off each month, and get any perks on offer but to my mind it is far too easy to 'tap' £10 here £10 there and before you know it you have whacked off £100 in a day. I much rather have £100 of cash and once I get near to the end of it, I am fully aware of how much I have spent. Of course if you are one of the many who does not pay off the full balance each month, then all you are doing is giving the banks even more of your money for nothing.

Dave225 - 2016-02-19 8:08 PM

The main thing that puts me off either contactless cards or even using credit cards willy nilly, is keeping control of your spending. Some may state that thye just check the balance and pay it all off each month, and get any perks on offer but to my mind it is far too easy to 'tap' £10 here £10 there and before you know it you have whacked off £100 in a day. I much rather have £100 of cash and once I get near to the end of it, I am fully aware of how much I have spent. Of course if you are one of the many who does not pay off the full balance each month, then all you are doing is giving the banks even more of your money for nothing.

In our case, you are correct - the credit cards are paid off each month - automatically, by direct debit - so no worries on that score.

When I make a purchase it is because I've mentally justified the item is required and considered the expense & value. Surely, it's not necessary to have cash-in-hand in order to make that sort of judgement to control spending?

I am honestly surprised by the level of skepticism shared by some of the posters on this thread concerning contactless cards. And no, the article in the Telegraph doesn't influence my opinion. Naive? Perhaps, but life's too short....

To us it is so quick, convenient and time-saving - instead of messing about inserting the card and entering a 4-digit pin and a 'go-button' for a pint of milk.

Contactless cards are part of a NUDGE toward a cashless society, which I do not completely agree with. Such a society gives the Banks and the government of the day too much control over us. You could be made penniless and helpless at the push of a button. Perhaps I am paranoid ? But that is just you lot ganging up on me.......te he. Cash may not still be King, but he is still a prince of last resort.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-20 11:17 AM

Contactless cards are part of a NUDGE toward a cashless society, which I do not completely agree with. Such a society gives the Banks and the government of the day too much control over us. You could be made penniless and helpless at the push of a button. Perhaps I am paranoid ? But that is just you lot ganging up on me.......te he. Cash may not still be King, but he is still a prince of last resort.

Fair enough... up to a point.

But banks and government are concerned about the growing popularity of bitcoin and other virtual currencies, over which they have NO control. :-D

mikebeaches - 2016-02-19 10:05 PM

To us it is so quick, convenient and time-saving - instead of messing about inserting the card and entering a 4-digit pin and a 'go-button' for a pint of milk.

Please do not spread this rumour but I understand that in many parts of the UK, Europe and indeed the world there is an even quicker and more convenient way to buy small items such as a carton of milk - it's called a 'coin' or in some case a 'note' - I'm not sure what they do or how they work but rumour has it that it is very popular in some advanced countries and might just catch on here too?

Tracker - 2016-02-20 12:46 PM

Please do not spread this rumour but I understand that in many parts of the UK, Europe and indeed the world there is an even quicker and more convenient way to buy small items such as a carton of milk - it's called a 'coin' or in some case a 'note' - I'm not sure what they do or how they work but rumour has it that it is very popular in some advanced countries and might just catch on here too?

Reality, however, is that a 'tap' is quicker and more convenient than counting out money, handing it over for a shopkeeper/employee to check, then calculate and select change. At which point customer also needs to check correct change given.

Nahh - contactless every time - simpler and speedier.

mikebeaches - 2016-02-20 1:24 PM

Tracker - 2016-02-20 12:46 PM

Reality, however, is that a 'tap' is quicker and more convenient than counting out money, handing it over for a shopkeeper/employee to check, then calculate and select change. At which point customer also needs to check correct change given.

Nahh - contactless every time - simpler and speedier.

Of course when the bank systems crash, as they have done on numerous occasions, then you can 'tap' all you like and it still remians 'dead'.. As for being quicker, I have doubts. The machine still has to contact your bank to get authorisation, approve it, and then print the receipt. How often have you stood there waiting for the nachine to spew out its little bit of paper.? Yes, you have possibly saved a few seconds getting the card out instead of some coins, but really??? is life that short? There is also the possibility of you losing the card by droopping it in the street, or some lowlife knicking it, and by the time you have founbd out, how much have you lost?? Yes, you can have your wallet stolen as well, so I see little difference.

I guess th next 'fad' will be to get a chip inserted into your wrist and you just wave your hand. Like others have stated I never trust the banks to do anything that does not have their interests at heart.

Lost card, stolen wallet, we're all doomed Mr Mainwairing I tell you.  Dave the doom and gloom you post in praise of the God 'cash' I trust really is done in good humour?

On one point I agree with your sentiments....I don't like contactless cards. For the simple reason it is (to me) relatively new technology and until 'I' feel I can trust it I don't want one.

However as for cash management you really are missing out on a load of free cash.  If you're prepared to enter the 'statistics/shopping pattern' era where almost 'all' transactions are 'statisticised' for some purpose or other you'd maybe be surprised at just how your daily....read 'normal' shopping habits can be financially sensible.  

One simple example is folk on here using Tesco points to pay for ferry or tunnel charges.  I bet they don't spend any differently than they otherwise would so the rewards are a bonus.  Another example is the 'store' issued credit card.  I had Visa/Mastercard etc etc from my bank for years until I decided to bite the bullet and give Sainsburys bank (actually administered by Lloyds I believe) a go.  Now because we also have the Sainsburys Nectar loyalty card and their mastercard (paid off each month) we accrue in the region of £150-£180 per year in 'Nectar points' which we can spend in a whole host of different places..........in fact one year our christmas 'big' shop cost us £0.00 because the Nectar points covered the lot.   So what's not to like about 'cards and free money'?

What short memories people have.

With the advent of 'chip and pin' the banks sort to change the t&c's on cards as (their words not mine) "Chip and pin makes card fraud impossible unless the card owner doesn't adequately secure the pin number", this has been found to be completely untrue, and card fraud has rocketed, in fact it is so bad they try to keep the figures hidden least public confidence in the system is broken. My guess is contactless will go just the same way.

Just to reiterate, if you want a non contactless card you can get one. It might need a bit of persistence and you might be told "they are not available", but they are, for some reason the banks don't want us to have one.

Having seen a demo of a hand held card reader reading a card through a leather handbag I decided I didn't want the new card. You may be quite happy with them, but you might consider one of the many metallic foil lined wallets, although the banks say you don't need one as the cards are perfectly safe.

I for one do not have time to sit and scan my card statements for duplicate or suspect transactions. I wonder how many suspect transactions actually go undetected? Something we will never know.

H

hallii - 2016-02-21 12:48 PM

I for one do not have time to sit and scan my card statements for duplicate or suspect transactions. I wonder how many suspect transactions actually go undetected?

Really? It takes me about five minutes once a month to logon and quickly scan down to check bank and credit card statements and I can state quite categorically that over the last few years there have been two fraudulent CC attempts. The big one for over £1k was was spotted by the bank who telephoned me to confirm and the small one for about a tenner that I spotted and which the bank said was possibly just testing the water ready for a bigger attempt.

It's my money and I consider it my responsibility, with the bank's help, to do my best to make sure it stays that way!

Tracker - 2016-02-21 1:06 PM

hallii - 2016-02-21 12:48 PM

I for one do not have time to sit and scan my card statements for duplicate or suspect transactions. I wonder how many suspect transactions actually go undetected?

Really? It takes me about five minutes once a month to logon and quickly scan down to check bank and credit card statements and I can state quite categorically that over the last few years there have been two fraudulent CC attempts. The big one for over £1k was was spotted by the bank who telephoned me to confirm and the small one for about a tenner that I spotted and which the bank said was possibly just testing the water ready for a bigger attempt.

It's my money and I consider it my responsibility, with the bank's help, to do my best to make sure it stays that way!

Certainly agree with Tracker on that one - we keep a close eye on all transactions - large and small.

However, having mobile banking and credit card apps on our phones means the task can be undertaken in moments, anytime, anywhere.

Archived