Contactless cards

hallii

RogerC - 2016-02-20 3:02 PMLost card, stolen wallet, we're all doomed Mr Mainwairing I tell you.  Dave the doom and gloom you post in praise of the God 'cash' I trust really is done in good humour?

On one point I agree with your sentiments....I don't like contactless cards. For the simple reason it is (to me) relatively new technology and until 'I' feel I can trust it I don't want one.

However as for cash management you really are missing out on a load of free cash.  If you're prepared to enter the 'statistics/shopping pattern' era where almost 'all' transactions are 'statisticised' for some purpose or other you'd maybe be surprised at just how your daily....read 'normal' shopping habits can be financially sensible.  

One simple example is folk on here using Tesco points to pay for ferry or tunnel charges.  I bet they don't spend any differently than they otherwise would so the rewards are a bonus.  Another example is the 'store' issued credit card.  I had Visa/Mastercard etc etc from my bank for years until I decided to bite the bullet and give Sainsburys bank (actually administered by Lloyds I believe) a go.  Now because we also have the Sainsburys Nectar loyalty card and their mastercard (paid off each month) we accrue in the region of £150-£180 per year in 'Nectar points' which we can spend in a whole host of different places..........in fact one year our christmas 'big' shop cost us £0.00 because the Nectar points covered the lot.   So what's not to like about 'cards and free money'?
I gather that each Nectar point is worth 0.5p when traded for goods, so to get £100 of goods needs a spend of £20000. That to my mind is a lot off spend for little reward. There are other ways to skin the cat so to speak. There are bank accounts that give you £5 per month or interest of up to 3%. plus cashback. Yes, you need sometimes a regular deposit, but there is not need to rush around sprnding money. You will have read that due to our illustrious EU rules all 'perks' from banks are being cut back drastically, so to my mind if you shop where the prices are 10% cheaper then you will save far more than rushing to certain outlets to get points. Howevre, each to his own as they say. Even Tesco is cutting back significantly so although I admire those who have used the points for Channel crossings etc, I suspect they will joining the ranks of the rest of us soon.How to save and win?? Well, there are many wys to do this. For example some people install solar panels or windmills and sell the extra electricity to the Grid, and make money that way. I am not able to do that so I 'cheated' and did what the guy advertising razors did. I bought the Company, or at least a part of it, so i get a return on the investment that pays all my gas and electric throughout the year.. Sit back and watch the money come in. There is a risk of course but I suspect pretty small. As for being Captain Mainwaring, I am honoured at the aspersion. Maybe a bumbling fool at times but his integrity was never in doubt.

mikebeaches - 2016-02-21 3:03 PM

Tracker - 2016-02-21 1:06 PM

hallii - 2016-02-21 12:48 PM

I for one do not have time to sit and scan my card statements for duplicate or suspect transactions. I wonder how many suspect transactions actually go undetected?

Really? It takes me about five minutes once a month to logon and quickly scan down to check bank and credit card statements and I can state quite categorically that over the last few years there have been two fraudulent CC attempts. The big one for over £1k was was spotted by the bank who telephoned me to confirm and the small one for about a tenner that I spotted and which the bank said was possibly just testing the water ready for a bigger attempt.

It's my money and I consider it my responsibility, with the bank's help, to do my best to make sure it stays that way!

Certainly agree with Tracker on that one - we keep a close eye on all transactions - large and small.

However, having mobile banking and credit card apps on our phones means the task can be undertaken in moments, anytime, anywhere.

I thnik I would agree with the last Post here Tracker. Once a month is too long for me. If one is on the internet 'chatting' on Forums such as this, it is just a few minutes to pull up the bank account and just check no lowlife has waltzed off with a few of your heard earned quids.

Dave225 - 2016-02-21 7:44 PM

I thnik I would agree with the last Post here Tracker. Once a month is too long for me. If one is on the internet 'chatting' on Forums such as this, it is just a few minutes to pull up the bank account and just check no lowlife has waltzed off with a few of your heard earned quids.

Well actually I do check almost daily - just did not want to rub it in too much!

Have to agree with tracker and the others of the same view, it is my money and I will always check statements, mistakes can and do happen more often than fraud in my experience. I like the ease of contactless no trying to shield your pin from the person behind you in the queue nor any danger of leaving your card in the machine because you are trying to pack your shopping at the same time.

Progress is inevitable and good to embrace some of it!

Tracker - 2016-02-20 12:46 PM

mikebeaches - 2016-02-19 10:05 PM

To us it is so quick, convenient and time-saving - instead of messing about inserting the card and entering a 4-digit pin and a 'go-button' for a pint of milk.

Please do not spread this rumour but I understand that in many parts of the UK, Europe and indeed the world there is an even quicker and more convenient way to buy small items such as a carton of milk - it's called a 'coin' or in some case a 'note' - I'm not sure what they do or how they work but rumour has it that it is very popular in some advanced countries and might just catch on here too?

I found one of those outside the shop this morning. It's a funny sort of shape and is according to the wife worth 20 whole pence!

Tracker - 2016-02-21 1:06 PM

hallii - 2016-02-21 12:48 PM

I for one do not have time to sit and scan my card statements for duplicate or suspect transactions. I wonder how many suspect transactions actually go undetected?

Really? It takes me about five minutes once a month to logon and quickly scan down to check bank and credit card statements and I can state quite categorically that over the last few years there have been two fraudulent CC attempts. The big one for over £1k was was spotted by the bank who telephoned me to confirm and the small one for about a tenner that I spotted and which the bank said was possibly just testing the water ready for a bigger attempt.

It's my money and I consider it my responsibility, with the bank's help, to do my best to make sure it stays that way!

I'm with you Tracker I keep a regular eye on our accounts but only when on the Internet at home! I don't trust using public wifi servers or mobiles. As an additional precaution partly to ensure government protection for our dosh the bulk of it is spread over five banks and building societies and is in fixed term bonds so that can't be accessed by any toe rag untill they mature. For convenience we arrange for one or two to mature every month so can access any funds we may want for a major purchase.

None of our cards are contactless. May save a few seconds in the store but carrying around a device that can accessed by anyone with the right knowledge and equipment makes no sense to me. We started with nothing when we first got married. We may be well off now but the money was hard earned and I've no intention if possible of letting any one nick any.

I was most impressed last year when I purchased some fuel near the NEC then went inside a slapped a big deposit on our new van. The translation was refused because the dealer put it through his base in Canterbury the credit card company automatically assumed it to be fraudulent due to,the distance and timing involved. Quickly sorted out over the phone but I was more impressed than annoyed.

RogerThat - 2016-02-23 5:58 PM

RogerThat - 2016-02-19 7:47 PM

Also worth a mention, not a single case of contactless card fraud has ever been reported. Ever :)

Trust me (lol) ;-)

I might do if it was true, but that is not the case.

The UK Cards Association however, have reassured owners of contactless cards by saying that such crimes haven't been widely reported.

A spokesman for The UK Cards Association said: "We have not received any reports of this type of incident ever occurring in the UK"

Not the same as "not a single case", just it hasn't happened in UK yet.

Archived