TV in France

Peter B

Does anyone know if French TV has any plans to go digital? And if they do, will it be necesssary to purchase a special set-top box to receive it? I have a multi-standard TV, which can 'pick up' Continental analogue brodcasts and also have a 'Freeview' digital box. Would this set-up suffice in France when/if they go digital? Any help would be appreciated.

Good question! The following reply may not be 100% as I'm relying on my very poor memory and making a few crystal ball predictions. DVB-T is an international standard which most european countries should comply, Germany is already starting to change and I think they are using same system, France? if they are not changing yet, I would guess its only a matter of time, but you know the french they like to do there own thing, already most french satillite is broadcast in a different version of DVB-S than most of rest of europe. If they have not yet started then they may decide to forgoe the MPEG-2 compression that we use and try MPEG-4, which is where we may be in a few years time. If anyone has any hard and fast answers feel free to shoot me down in flames

Hi, I certainly don't want to shot anyone down as i really don't know anything about the technical details, but I can tell you I tried my freeview box with my status spaceship Ariel quiet a few times while we were in France and Germany and i did start to pick up some programs but it only worked a couple of times, i don't know if that helps Brian

We bought our digital terrestrial box here in Spain. I believe the whole of Europe use the same system unlike analogue where France use SECAM. The strange thing is when we parked up through France in the summer the reception was pretty poor with our directional aerial. However, when we arrived in England, we parked up overnight in the Budgen's carpark in Battle, East Sussex put the TV on and through our DT box we couldn't receive any British TV but loads of French channels!!

[QUOTE]Peter B - 2006-11-16 7:02 PM Seems that I will have to either visit Battle or L'Clerc's electrical warehouse to be able to watch French TV in future! Thanks for the help, guys. :-D[/QUOTE] Sounds like you can use your own one but you might(proboly) have to do a manual reload of channels to tune in

[QUOTE]barrie w - 2006-11-16 12:47 PM terrestial digi boxes are on sale here now in france.most d i y stores sell them,i think at about 70 euros.but the programs are obviously french. hope this helps.[/QUOTE] 34.90€ in Carrefour, Valencia. They also do a Digital Terrestrial PVR with an 80gb hard drive for 99€.

Archived