Fitting DRLs' into Ducato/Boxer mirrors

Barry38

Further to my earlier article - 19/2/2016

Before attempting the project I carefully looked at recognised regulations regarding the retro fitting of DRL's. Considering the often damaged Ducato door mirrors I decided that fitting easily replaceable inexpensive units onto them could cover several issues.

My 2009 Rhythm does not have factory fitted DRLs' so the challenge was on!

Door mirrors fitted to the standard vehicle are around 1.36 m from ground to CENTRE.

At 1.20 m from the ground - (with the tyres inflated to the correct psi!) my DRL's are within the statutory 1.50m legal height, and within stated width limits. They do not interfere with side indicators or 'outshine' any other lighting etc.

They are wired to extinguish when the headlights are turned on and I have added a 'fog' switch that allows them to be dimly illuminated if exceptionally poor visibility requires me 'to be seen' - legal or otherwise!!

Hope this additional information is useful to anyone considering doing the same, because they do look worth the effort.

Anyone know the address of the patent office ? !!!

There are quite complex regulations relating to DRLs fitted as original equipment to Type Approved vehicles, and received wisdom seems to be that the lamps in retrofit DRL ‘kits’ should carry the appropriate EU markings.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

The UK’s MOT test does not cover DRLs

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/common-mistakes-made-by-mot-testers/

so it seems doubtful that the ‘legality’ of what you’ve done would ever be a realistic issue.

Not sure whether you’d get a patent for it as a GOOGLE-search reveals that integrating DRLs into side-mirrors has been done before. (Example here)

Archived