Mirror Guards - X250 vs X290

mikejkay

That's a relieve! In his/her post on mirror damage Veletron stated "Once X290 mirror units are available". I read this to mean that the mirrors must be different. Veletron must have been referring to the internals of the mirror housing.

Changing motorhome and taking my Mirror Guards with me :-D

Mike

As veletron says in the posting you referred to X290s have a temperature sensor that pokes out slightly through the bottom of the plastic outer casing of one of the mirrors (I think the sensor may have been an option for X250 vehicles).

Anyway, the latest MirrorGuards have a hole in the bottom that matches up with the sensor on the X290 mirror. If your X250 MirrorGuards haven’t got the hole, you’ll need to drill one.

Slightly different angle to this subject, I took the mirrorguards off of my previous van, an Autotrail Coachbuilt on an X250.

Hoping to fit them straight onto my present van, an Autotrail PVC, they didn't fit (at first) but after a bit of Fettling, (enlarging the lower arm aperture ) and replacing the shock absorbant pads. They DID fit. I made the shock absorbant foam pads much bigger than the originals, using 12mm thick closed cell neoprene foam with self adhesive backing. .I also drilled extra drain holes in their bases, To allow water to escape no matter how steep an angle the van is parked.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-22 11:34 PM

Slightly different angle to this subject, I took the mirrorguards off of my previous van, an Autotrail Coachbuilt on an X250.

Hoping to fit them straight onto my present van, an Autotrail PVC, they didn't fit (at first)... .

I guess it’s worth saying that the mirrors fitted to X250/X290 panel-van conversions (eg. Auto-Trail’s V-Line range) will normally be ’short-arm’ type, whereas the mirrors fitted to X250/X290 ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes will normally be ‘long-arm’ or ‘medium-arm’ type. Consequently MirrorGuard offer two different designs of protector, as indicated on their webpage.

http://shop.mirrorguard.co.uk/

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-23 6:49 PM

My MirrorGuards are the latest version and have a reasonable large hole fairly centrally located in the base (and definitely not in the corner).

Sounds like yours and mine are the same. I get the new M.H. next week so all wiil be revealed B-) . If it's only a question of opening out the hole then all will be OK.

Today I have had the driver's door mirror on my Peugeot Boxer X250 replaced under warranty, due to the temperature sensor failing (it read about 8 to 9 degrees too low).

The replacement mirror looks and operates in the same manner as the original, but has the temperature probe sticking out of the bottom of the housing. This means that in the morning I am going to have to drill a hole in my Mirror Guard in order to refit it (the Peugeot dealer kindly left the Mirror Guard on the driver's seat for me to refit).

The point to remember is that in future, replacement X250 mirrors all seem destined to be to X290 standards, as I don't think that Peugeot, FIAT, or Citroen will keep two models going, not with such a small difference between them.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-22 6:52 PM

If your X250 MirrorGuards haven’t got the hole, you’ll need to drill one.

My X250 Mirror Guards came without a hole for the sensor probe and I have refitted the driver's side Mirror Guard this morning after the original mirror was changed under guaranty The replacement mirror unit is the new design with a temperature probe in the bottom of the housing. In practice, the Mirror Guard will fit quite easily without a hole for the temperature sensor, simply because there is enough of a gap between it and the mirror as it stands. However, I have drilled a 25 mm hole, using a hole saw, so that the sensor can be in direct contact with the outside air at all times.

If anyone would like, I can post some pictures.

spospe - 2016-02-24 11:54 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-22 6:52 PM

If your X250 MirrorGuards haven’t got the hole, you’ll need to drill one.

However, I have drilled a 25 mm hole, using a hole saw, so that the sensor can be in direct contact with the outside air at all times.

If anyone would like, I can post some pictures.

25mm! Is that really necessary? What is the diameter of the temperature sensor?

mikejkay - 2016-02-24 12:42 PM

25mm! Is that really necessary? What is the diameter of the temperature sensor?

No it is probably larger than required, however it is of a size to ensure that the temperature sensor is fully exposed to the outside air and will remain so as the Mirror Guard moves about a bit in use.

mikejkay - 2016-02-23 8:46 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-23 6:49 PM

My MirrorGuards are the latest version and have a reasonable large hole fairly centrally located in the base (and definitely not in the corner).

Sounds like yours and mine are the same. I get the new M.H. next week so all wiil be revealed B-) . If it's only a question of opening out the hole then all will be OK.

I visited the MirrorGuard stand at the NEC today and noted that the protectors they were exhibiting had the hole towards the inside corner of the base and - having now rechecked my MirrorGuards - that’s where the hole is on my protectors. :$ :$ :$ :$

The temperature sensor is on an X290’s driver’s-side mirror and is very obvious. The hole in the MirrorGuards is about 10mm diameter, which should be large enough for air to easily reach the sensor.

Evidently earlier X250-suitable MirrorGuards had a smaller hole towards the centre of the protector’s base to drain any water that might find its way inside the protector’s casing.

Archived