Another request for route from Northern Italy

Sophie2

We anticipate driving up from Cinq Terre/Genoa areas, via Lakes Orta/Maggiore, through Switzerland and into Germany towards Heidelberg.

The vehicle is 4.2t, and 7.5m the journey would be in early July. I'd prefer scenery rather than driving through tunnels but concerned that a mountainous route would be too much for a large-ish vehicle.

Content to pay the Swiss vignette charges at the border.

Any useful advice re suitable route based on the above would be very welcome.

Thanks

Don't worry about the size of the van on mountain passes. Ours is a similar size and we are currently skiing in the Dolomites, today we came over Passo Pordoi at 2239m with 25 hairpins down an a similar number up, great fun! This was the 6th Dolomiti pass of about this height and some were on a little snow, plus the Fernpass and Brenner to get here.

Kev

St Gothard Pass is no problem and with good views. When over the top follow the Andermatt sign. At the T junction just before the town turn left for Goschenen, this puts you at the northern end of the tunnel.

You now follow the road no 2 signed for Lucerne but before Lucerne and at the bottom of the lake you have a choice of 2 directions. One is to follow Lake Lucerne's west side or to take road no 4 up the Eastern side to Ingenbohl, then take the road no 2b to Gersau and Vitznau. In Vitznau there is a lovely campsite called (would you believe) Camping Vitznau, Google it and go onto the map's and have a good look. We have stopped here and it's very good also with good views over the lake.

So depending which way you want to go you have three options:-

1) (not my choice a bit boring, but the quickest) is up to Lucerne then on to Basle, Freiburg in Germany, Karlsruhe, Heidelberg.

2) Lucerne, Zurich, Winterthur, Schaffhausen,well worth a couple of hours or so at the Rhine Falls ( I think you can overnight here). In this area, there is a great ruin castles to visit if you are into that sort of things. There's the Hegauer Berge (Hohentwiel) at Singen, warning!! it is a strenuous climb but well worth it. If you have plenty of time, Villingen-Schwenningen is a nice walled town but it's been modernised (they do spoil these old towns). Then up to Stuttgart, Heidelberg.

3) (my choice) If you stopped at Vitznau you can catch the steamer over the lake to Lucerne for a good day out (not with the van:-D).

When you leave, carry on up the 2b to Kussnacht then on to road 4 (E41) to Zurich. You can either pick no 2 route up from there or, up through the black forest to Titisee, Triberg, Offenburg, Karlsruhe then Heidelberg. If you have plenty of time when you get to Triberg then there are some nicer ways from there to Heidelberg, but you would be better off choosing your own way from here.

Dave

....anything over 3500kg (including a motorhome) as you are, will need to pay the Swiss HGV tax to use any road in Switzerland (not just motorways). It is cheaper than the vignette for a period of say 10 days, but should be paid for and documented at the border.

Edit to clarify:

The vignette is not relevant for a vehicle over 3.5t, and the (required) HGV 'tax' will cover for both motorway and ordinary road use (and is required for either/both).

If you search on Switzerland and vignette on here, you should find full details.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Swiss-Motorway-costs/37420/

There are no cheap site's in Switzerland during that period. I have 2 or 3 photos of the site if you want to pm me your email address. They do have an overnight area for about 5 outfit's so you can take on water and empty your waste.

Dave

Can anyone confirm that you can overnight at the Rhine Falls? I think it's at the last parking area.

Mr Google has come up with this

http://www.motorhomevoyager.co.uk/places-to-stay/camper-stops/rhine-falls-motorhome-parking/

so it seems so. Worth bearing in mind.

I take your point about price of campsites. There are quite a few ACSI sites some of which may just come within our calendar. No doubt at Vitznau you pay for th view. Had a good look at their website and it does look nice but thanks anyway

kevina - 2016-02-22 6:23 PM

Don't worry about the size of the van on mountain passes. Ours is a similar size and we are currently skiing in the Dolomites, today we came over Passo Pordoi at 2239m with 25 hairpins down an a similar number up, great fun! This was the 6th Dolomiti pass of about this height and some were on a little snow, plus the Fernpass and Brenner to get here.

Kev

I would not like to do the Plocken Pass with a large motor home it was bad enough in our 6 metre AT Tracker

Not only do you have to cope with multiple hair pins you have to drive on the road centre line to clear the tunnel roof. It is like navigating in 3D.

See photo on http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Plocken-Pass-is-this-the-most-scary-in-Europe-/35848/

Sophie2 - 2016-02-27 12:59 PM

Looking at the map the Plockenpass is Italy/Austria Border.

I won't be doing Austria but thanks anywqay

I was quoting on the "don't worry about the passes" comment. If I had been much longer or a little higher, I would have been worried.

Archived