Fiamma awning wont wind in

off road moto

Hi. Recently for the 1st time I tried our fiamma awning. I've had them on vehicles before and loved them.

Wound it out without problem and thought great, Everything is fine and ready to use when we need to. Then I came to wind it back in again and it was having none of it. It is a 5.5m so has 3 folding bars along its length (the ones with what look like cables inside???). The side ones seem fine but the centre one is very stiff / tensioned??

The only way to get the awning back in is to have someone wind the handle whilst I gently push the awning towards the van. This needs to be done until the awning is totally home into its casing. Any ideas?? Something seized or broken??

Kind regards.

off road moto - 2016-02-23 12:12 PM

Hi. Recently for the 1st time I tried our fiamma awning. I've had them on vehicles before and loved them.

Wound it out without problem and thought great, Everything is fine and ready to use when we need to. Then I came to wind it back in again and it was having none of it. It is a 5.5m so has 3 folding bars along its length (the ones with what look like cables inside???). The side ones seem fine but the centre one is very stiff / tensioned??

The only way to get the awning back in is to have someone wind the handle whilst I gently push the awning towards the van. This needs to be done until the awning is totally home into its casing. Any ideas?? Something seized or broken??

Kind regards.

I think they all work on the same basis, but my familiarity is with the Omnistor/Thule variety. Winding the awning out merely rotates the awing roller to pay out the fabric, while the spring tension in the rafter poles pushes the lead rail away from the housing, so drawing the leading edge of the fabric with it. Winding in is merely rotating the awning roller the opposite way, so that it winds back the fabric and in so doing pulls back the lead rail against the tension of the sprung rafter poles. If you can push the lead rail back against the tension of the sprung rafter poles, they are not seized. This suggests to me that the fault lies in the gearbox at the end of the awning roller, which is not allowing the roller to tension the fabric adequately to pull back the lead rail, and so flex the sprung rafter poles into their folded state.

Archived