Anyone want a fuel, food, drink & additional accomodation paid trip to Brecon Beacons?

RichardH

My daughter Ashleigh is a young artist and has been let down at the last minute and is in desperate need of help from someone with a Motorhome for 1 or 2 weeks starting on 29/02/2016.

Ashleigh is making a film and we were told a couple of days ago that the Motorhome she was promised by someone we know has been sold.

The film she is making is the first glimpse of her huge body of work and is a 20 minute dark fantasy "The Wall of Lyon" (http://thewalloflyon.com ). When completed it will be presented around the World to the Film Festivals that are supported by the British Council.

A bit of background: When she was 12 she became too ill to attend school full time and when she was 14 she had to leave completely. Such is her driven nature though she saw this as an opportunity to immerse herself in what she loved: exploring ancient worlds, mythical worlds, cultures, philosophies and writing. As a direct result an alternative world and message started to take shape in her imagination and she started to write even if she was in a hospital bed! By the time she was 16 she had written the 1st of a trilogy of novels. By 17, her film score compositions had been used in a couple of films made in the Midlands and become available on iTunes.

She has been recognised by the BFI, BBC and BAFTA, and gaining a lot of attention (we have just had confirmation that the BBC want to come and film her making her film!).

We raised the budget for the film by Ashleigh using all of her (and our) savings, crowd funding and private donation. Unfortunately because the Motorhome was being loaned as a donation we don’t have enough money to pay a hire fee. We can pay fuel and insurance and accommodate and feed a driver on location for 2 weeks (Victoria Wells Holiday Park, Llanwrtyd Wells).

If you are able to consider helping we would be very grateful but realise this is a request completely out of the blue!

To see some of the fans that she has gained:

http://facebook.com/thewalloflyon

To see Ashleigh talk about the film and see the quality of her work:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846201371/the-wall-of-lyon/widget/video.html

(everything you see has been written, composed, filmed or animated by Ashleigh).

I really hope you are able to help. If we weren’t desperate I’d not ask.

Kind regards

Richard Harley

07557 507614

I wish you luck but seriously doubt that many people would be happy to loan their pride and joy for this purpose?

Have you tried the publicity or PR departments of major motorhome retailers or converters as they sometimes are keen to get publicity, especially if it does not cost them very much.

Companies such as Marquis or Brownhills for dealers or maybe major converters like Swift, Autotrail, Autosleeper, Bailey, Elldis, to name a few?

Hi Tracker,

Thank you for reading my post and replying.

You're right about anyone being prepared to let a stranger loose in their Motorhome. But that's not what we're looking for.

Our offer (rather desperate plea) is really aimed at someone who is retired or self employed that would like to spend time in amazing countryside, Cathedrals & Castles for free. We'd provide all their food, drink, fuel and even put them up in a log cabin if they wanted a break from sleeping in the Motorhome. We are just unable to pay them a fee.

Like I said in my post, if we weren't desperate we wouldn't ask.

Best wishes

Richard

I think you need to clarify why you need a motorhome at all as nothing you have said adds up as you seem to have accommodation already secured?

I can't speak for others but two weeks in the Brecon Beacons in one of the wettest and coldest months of the winter would have very little appeal for me!

Hi,

Accommodation is definitely not an issue.

There are 2-4 actors (depending on the day) that need somewhere warm and dry to change and have their make up touched up. Our last ditch option is to find a transit and buy some deck chairs but that has 3 problems:

1. Difficult to light

2. Wouldn't be warm

3. We don't have a spare driver (it seems so few people under 25 have a license and!)

There are other issues that we'd face as well but those are the main 3.

R

I agree a caravan would seem to make much more sense and should be easier to either rent or buy cheaply?

Sorry to be negative, but in my view there is no way anyone who cherishes their motorhome would allow 4 actors with all their clobber, who have probably never even a motorhome let alone be aware of their delicay and the ease with which so many things can be scratched and damaged, to use their motorhome as a changing room.

Tracker, all due respect but I think you should hold back a bit on the negatives as you really are just going to be putting people off who may be interested in helping out.

Plainly this is not your thing, but it is mine but unfortunately I am not free for those dates or I would be jumping right in with an offer to help out. I am working hard on how I could free the dates up but just not possible. I will be using my Motorhome for its other purpose...moving student's (son) belongings about as he goes to Germany for 6 months of studies.

Good luck RichardH in finding a solution and wish Ashleigh every success as clearly very gifted and talented.

Jon.

Fair comment Jon, but many years ago I used my own motorhome (1972 Bedford CF Autohome) as support vehicle for a charity tandem trike ride from John O Groats to Lands end in two days up from Cornwall and four days back as mobile hospital, garage, kitchen and dormitory.

There was me as driver and two other support people, both familiar with the motorhome, as well as the two riders, their trike (on the roof) and several cwt of gear. They were all very careful and respectful but damage did occur and the van was never quite the same again, so hence I am rather cautious about such a venture.

Brambles - 2016-02-23 8:19 PM

...maybe I have rose tinted glasses on and should take them off more!

Not at all, differing views politely put are the lifeblood of the forum!

We also used the van as team bus, changing room, first aid, refreshments etc for a boys football team - ages 9 to 14! No seat belts, 12 unruly kids in the back sat on whatever we could find with just my wife to keep them in order - oh what fun!

As was washing all the kit after the match - cost me a fortune in knackered washing machines over time!

It was actually good fun and the boys were generally, but not always, very good but their requests for me to 'do the ton' on a dual carriageway or overtake everything in sight were never going to happen - even if I could have!

Thank you Brambles. I appreciate both your comments and your efforts to see if you could help.

As far as the comments from your forum colleague are concerned; everyone's entitled to voice their opinions whether they're appropriate, helpful, encouraging, relevant ... or not.

I'll continue to try to find the answer of how to best support my Daughter. Unfortunately a caravan isn't suitable, I have considered it and unfortunately it just wouldn't work.

The film is intense, emotional and engaging and anyone we bring into the fold will be a part of something special.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you publically to those members of the forum that have taken time to message me with encouragement and suggestions. I am keeping my fingers very firmly crossed.

Richard, you can hire mobile welfare units which come either as looking like small containers or as converted vans - usually a Transit. These accommodate six people or so and have robust interiors rather than soft furnishings. I have no idea of the cost or whether a campsite will let one park.

Brock - 2016-02-24 9:32 AM

Richard, you can hire mobile welfare units which come either as looking like small containers or as converted vans - usually a Transit. These accommodate six people or so and have robust interiors rather than soft furnishings. I have no idea of the cost or whether a campsite will let one park.

I think the cost is the problem, for the poster sadly, and maybe the area of the project.

PJay

Brambles - 2016-02-23 7:33 PMTracker, all due respect but I think you should hold back a bit on the negatives as you really are just going to be putting people off who may be interested in helping out....

I agree with that, although Tracker's comments have triggered more information from the OP.

I allowed my son to use our Hymer as an operating base and temporary home when he worked for an insurance company and had to go to Cumbria at short notice with two other young men to show willing to their policyholders who were facing disaster after the floods.  Actually it worked out well but then again he was terrified of damaging his dad's MH, so that would have been a factor.

I agree that a caravan would be more roomy and practical for this role.

Hi

Your other issue is that of insurance. Insurance companies would view this as 'commercial use' and would charge a pretty penny to cover the risk if they were willing to at all. Find a motorhome dealer and offer to stick their name in the credits - that's your best bet.

I work in the west end of Edinburgh, and we get film crews around here quite often. They often use a motorhome, usually hired. 20 somethings tottering around on the cobbles in their high heels, then climbing aboard a motorhome skirts riding high. Its quite the spectator sport!!

Nigel

veletron - 2016-02-24 3:59 PMHiYour other issue is that of insurance. Insurance companies would view this as 'commercial use' ... 

Indeed yes, my insurer simply wouldn't cover it when I lent to my son.  Similar potential problem if you are doing charitable things which are not ordinary social domestic and pleasure activities. Motor insurance companies do not like unusual extensions of cover.  The only way around the problem in my case was for my son's employer (another insurance company) to take the vehicle temporarily into their own fleet so they could include it in their own fleet policy!

Note however that if there were no actors etc traveling in the MH, so it could be said it was only being loaned out when stationery, maybe you could just ........?

I don't see any problem with insurance as long as the insured owner / driver is the obly driver and is present with the van at all times, in which case they are simply using their van for one of the purposes for which it was designed along with some friends who are contributing on a not for profit basis towards the running costs of the trip.

Perhaps the OP should search beyond the motorhome community. Mid Wales has a number of artistic / druidical communities who may be more in tune with the project. I do know of one such organisation which is on the same wavelength as it were. At present though, I am in Spain, and Internet connection is intermittent at best where we are. And time is short so I could not promise a quick reply. Do a Google search and that should yield results from like minded groups.

Good luck,

Gwen

Just to draw a line. We're off on Sunday and guess what?

I was filling up at a petrol station and a Motorhome pulled up and started filling behind me. I spoke to the couple that own it, explained the situation and ... they'll be on Set on Tuesday!!

I would like to sincerely thank all of you (well most of you) that took the time to reply, wish us luck, comment. It has meant a tremendous amount.

I hope that I'll have a chance to meet some of you when she's bought us the Motorhome we've craved for years! Please look out for Ashleigh Harley on the web or watch The Wall of Lyon Facebook page.

Best wishes

Richard

Archived