Solar panel mounting position

GraemeM

This may seem an odd question. I have seen a fair few pictures of solar panels mounted on Motorhomes large and small. Most have been logically installed lengthways left or right toward the mid/rear of the van.

We are trying to get 100w plus panel on top and available space is at a premium. So I would like to install across the van forward of the roof light on our Compass Calypso,

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience of mounting a panel in this sort of location?

As always, thanks in advance

Graeme

GraemeM - 2016-02-23 9:54 PM

I was thinking that there may be a reason that people mount them further back rather than forward? I am probably over thinking this!

Possibly aerodynamically there might potentially be less wind noise fron a narrower side facing the airflow?

The main factor to consider from a performance point of view, is to ensure that other roof mounted equipment does not cast any (or minimal) shadows onto the panel. Any shadow will degrade the output quite dramatically.

Sometimes users of panels do not realise just how bad the shadow problem can be, usually because their regulators are the sort without a voltage / current display to monitor just what is happening. I have seen the shadow of quite a slim branch cut the output by 50%.

Think about the odd overhanging tree that you might brush under. Will the forward position be in the danger zone for such dangers including flying stones.

As already mentioned will aerodynamic forces come into play. A position further back tends to be more sheltered.

Magic bit of kit. All through the winter the batteries are fully charged, no need for the mains HU. Dependent on how heavy a current user you are site HU may rarely be needed.

A SP and a refillable gas bottle are the two best two extras I have fitted on my 'van.

When we bought our latest van we negotiated for a solar panel to be fitted, this was done and it is over the front of the van from side to side, if that makes sense. Luckily the Tracker has a large 'lip' so acts as a windbreak. On our previous van the solar panel was further back and whoever installed it put an Alden windbreak in front of it, we never had a problem with this. So either way I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I've got 3 on mine 1x120W and 2x40W. I made sure that the max power voltage and open circuit voltage was within 0.1V of the other panels, and wired them all in parallel. Pics below re mounting positions in case it helps. Sika 512 is your friend.

http://photos.veletron.com/index.php/album151/New-Van-Campereve-Magellan-643/Front-Road-Cam-JPG_2016-02-24_123944

http://photos.veletron.com/index.php/album151/New-Van-Campereve-Magellan-643/Front-Cam_2016-02-24_123933

Nigel

Sorry if this is a little off topic, and also using search engines is not a problem

I am looking to have installed on our Van some Solar panels.

My question is, do any of you know of a reputable installer in the North of England, that you have either used or can recommend.
Or is this one of those silly questions which will come back with a response such as "Google it"!

Many thanks in advance

Thai Bry - 2016-02-24 4:04 PMSorry if this is a little off topic, and also using search engines is not a problem

My question is, do any of you know of a reputable installer in the North of England, that you have either used or can recommend.
Or is this one of those silly questions which will come back with a response such as "Google it"!

Many thanks in advance
I have used Spinney Motorhomes on two occasions with good results.http://www.spinney.co.uk/

Thai Bry - 2016-02-24 4:04 PMSorry if this is a little off topic, and also using search engines is not a problem

Many thanks in advance
Try Richard Baldwins at Halifax, nice people.

Archived