NEC exhibition

Barcobird

Barcobird - 2016-02-28 11:14 PM

I can't believe know one has considered buying a Motorhome this week at the show, perhaps the large increase in sales figures back in October has had a knock on effect 8-)

I can't believe the price of these new 'vans and the quality of some leaves a lot to be desired.

keninpalamos - 2016-02-29 6:18 AM

I can't believe know one has considered buying a Motorhome this week at the show, perhaps the large increase in sales figures back in October has had a knock on effect 8-)

I can't believe the price of these new 'vans and the quality of some leaves a lot to be desired.

I read somewhere that Pilote sales were 40 % up last year on the previous and this seemed to be the overall theme, maybe due to demand a few are cutting corners?

One forum member said that he was planning to visit the NEC to order a new motorhome and subsequently reported that he had done this.

(Responding to a forum inquiry is not compulsory you know.) ;-)

Most people in the know buy at the October show in order to get the motorhome in time for the coming season. By February your chances of getting the motorhome of your choice delivered this year is very slim. Almost all the manufactures capacity is already sold out. The best you can hope for is to find a dealer who has something on order for stock that is not to far from your requirements and hope they are located reasonably close to you to deal with any remedial work.

Colin Leake - 2016-02-29 7:34 PM

Most people in the know buy at the October show in order to get the motorhome in time for the coming season. By February your chances of getting the motorhome of your choice delivered this year is very slim. Almost all the manufactures capacity is already sold out. The best you can hope for is to find a dealer who has something on order for stock that is not to far from your requirements and hope they are located reasonably close to you to deal with any remedial work.

I actually had next February in mind so October wouldn't be a problem. It was more a question about which is the better deal, the local dealer or the show. Also my requirements are going to be pretty specific and not a standard vehicle.

We went . We intended to order purchase . Unfortunately they didn't have what we wanted even though one company said they might . Never mind it was a day out . We drove up from Essex anyway we found a dealership that does stock the last one in the counrty the only downside is its last years model 2015 not yet registered , so next week we will go and travel to summerset to Highbridge to have a gander .

Wasted our time really had we of known we could of went for the day to summerset :'( never mind.

Did we see alot there ? not really and actually would we do it again ? thats a hard one .

Alot of the vehicles we couldnt get in for people chatting .

One camper a guy was asleep with his feet up another the lady was pulling it apart and on her way out told us she had bough a tent , GOFIGURE ! and I was bleeding flabbergasted at the amount of kids pulling and pushing what they like with no parental control caught a kid playing with the display unit for the ALDE stand .

God I'd like to slap some adults !

michele - 2016-02-29 8:39 PM

We went . We intended to order purchase . Unfortunately they didn't have what we wanted even though one company said they might . Never mind it was a day out . We drove up from Essex anyway we found a dealership that does stock the last one in the counrty the only downside is its last years model 2015 not yet registered , so next week we will go and travel to summerset to Highbridge to have a gander .

Wasted our time really had we of known we could of went for the day to summerset :'( never mind.

Did we see alot there ? not really and actually would we do it again ? thats a hard one .

Alot of the vehicles we couldnt get in for people chatting .

One camper a guy was asleep with his feet up another the lady was pulling it apart and on her way out told us she had bough a tent , GOFIGURE ! and I was bleeding flabbergasted at the amount of kids pulling and pushing what they like with no parental control caught a kid playing with the display unit for the ALDE stand .

God I'd like to slap some adults !

Hi Michelle

I think last week was half term? I know parents have to take kids but we are investing a lot of money here and should be able to focus. We went last October and found it was very informative, on the Pilote stand we asked for a price but the guy had been on his feet all day and it's not a simple job to work out a price, so unless we were in a position to buy would we mind ...........

michele - 2016-02-29 8:39 PM

We drove up from Essex anyway we found a dealership that does stock the last one in the counrty the only downside is its last years model 2015 not yet registered , so next week we will go and travel to summerset to Highbridge to have a gander .

If it is last year's model Michele it should at least be at a well discounted price?

Find out whether any warranty issues can be fixed closer to home than Somerset as that is a long old haul for repair work.

Best of luck, as I reckon that you are well overdue for a bit of good fortune!

Barcobird - 2016-02-26 9:16 PM.......................do you think you are getting a better deal than turning up at your local dealer?

The general advice always was not to buy at shows. If you have no part exchange this changes somewhat, because you will not get a silly p/x price on your unseen trade-in, plus a silly delivery date on the new purchase, both of which turn to dust as soon as they see it the trade-in and get the firm production schedules.

Some of the stands are manned by staff drafted in for the show, and it can be difficult to find out which dealership actually has your order. Go to look, and to compare, and also to pick up all the price lists and technical brochures, but not to buy. Then, retreat to take stock and, when fully satisfied, go to the nearest dealership to talk about ordering, prices, and realistic delivery times.

Most vans, sadly, will have a few faults in their first year or so. So, a reasonably accessible dealer is a far better proposition than one at the far end of the country. The exception, if you have a choice, is that it is worth travelling to get to a well reputed dealer over one with a poor reputation who is nearby. Don't be fooled by warranties that imply any dealer, anywhere, will carry out warranty work. They mostly won't, only the supplying dealer.

Don't know if you live in Portugal, or are just visiting, but if you live there and would consider re-registering the vehicle in Portugal, do check very carefully before buying in UK, as I understand the process has driven strong men to drink, or worse! :-)

Thank you Brian, very constructive and to the point, just what I wanted. I needed clarity, I thought maybe at the show they might throw this and that in to conclude a deal but what you have said makes perfect sense.

I have been to a local dealer in the UK and await a price from them. *-)

Archived