WARRANTY FOR MOTORHOME

breezelle

Got a 6 month warranty with Autoguard from the dealer who sold me my motorhome but when I phoned Autoguard to ask about renewal they got the original dealer to phone me to arrange a new warranty. If I bought the motorhome privately does that mean I cant have a warranty. What is your experience on the best warranty for motorhomes.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

In my experience most of these insurance backed warranties have more large holes than a garden sieve and the only used warranties that have ever worked for me are the dealer specific warranties where the dealer undertakes to carry the risk and to do the repairs themselves.

Yours may be an exception but have a good read of just what is included and excluded, any wear and tear clauses, excesses, and cash payout limits before splashing the cash on more of the same.

You can buy your own, I guess if you are extending an existing one the company want you to go back to the dealer they have an arrangement with, to stop him using another firm.

I've never managed to claim on a warranty, apart from minor items.

On one they said I was a week late with a service, (although within mileage), another said the problem isn't covered.

It's a gamble.

They aren't warranties at all, IMO, just insurance contracts. You pay a premium, and if the insurer is lucky you don't claim. If you do claim, they stand to loose. Like any insurance contract, they are designed to ensure the insurer ends their year in profit. You might gain, in the sense they they have to pay out on a claim, but the terms and conditions will have been drafted to minimise the chances of that happening. It just depends how lucky you feel, and how much of a financial margin you set aside to cater for problems. I think they are a waste of money, but that won't be true for everyone in all circumstances.

Archived