Damage to passenger side

Petest

We had our 1st weekend away last Saturday and Sunday. Coming home on the motorway, we heard a big bang. Sounded like something had fallen over or a blind had sprung up (if one had been left down).

Pulled into the services, couldn't find anything.

Came home from work tonight and noticed a gouge in the side of the van by the rear door into the motorhome. It's pierced the ally skin and I can see a bit of the polystyrene insulation. It's a hole about 10-12mm wide, angled in towards the inner of the habitation area.

The vans a 2008 Elddis 100.

Any suggestions for a repair / repairer?

I've filled it with silicone as a temporary measure.

Really frustrated, has put a damper on the memories of our maiden voyage.

Tracker - 2016-03-01 7:35 PM

It it would not look wildly out of place something like this has always been a quick and cost effective van body repair - you could even put one each side to get balance?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/plastic-ventilation-grilles

Hi I did what Tracker said on my first van sikaflexed the hole up then sikaflexed a grille over the top of the damage. When I traded van in dealer never said anything about it.

Bad luck on your first outing.  It's easily done.

I gouged a hole in the side of our MH by hitting a tree branch stump and it was professionally repaired using filler, then sprayed to match.  I was advised against anything more elaborate, like re-skinning.  In retrospect this was good advice and the repair is still invisible.

Presumably they used a flexible filler and the quality of the result was down to the standard of finishing when the filler was being sanded down before spraying.

Clearly however with a small hole you could repair yourself (using flexible filler rather than silicone?) and then cover with a fitting rather than fuss about respraying.  Good luck.

Hi there I am sorry to hear of your damage, my thoughts are if you fill the damage carefully and then flat it of with a flat block and wet or dry paper then find a couple of stick on signs relating to your motorhome or something relating to yourselves one either side you could have them made for you at a vinal sign maker.I have been doing a similar thing on my motorscooter to cover scratches smaller I know.

Good luck with your repair whatever route you take.

Regards Dave

JohnP - 2016-03-01 8:27 PM

If its just a hole 12mm in diameter you could fill it and fix an orange reflector over the repair. Put one the other side to match it. Similar idea to what Tracker recommended.

I did exactly that when I had an OOPS with a shower block guttering two yeas ago. I had some orange reflectors that came with new bikes and I stuck them on with double side taper. Worked fine for two years now.

I have put one each side to even them out as you can see.

170102232_Relectornearside.jpg.a7e8e9be24178831d14bef2b6ffc1867.jpg

1164065808_reflectoroffside.jpg.93dc2f350d5ecf1abfc93bfcacf5e25e.jpg

Archived