Canal du Midi on a boat!

Den

It's my 60th this year and plan to drive to the south of France and hire a boat (Franceafloat)

I've been looking on line to find the best section to see the most interesting Villages etc. Without much luck.

Has anyone hired a boat and has some info they'd like to share, I'd be most grateful

Den

Den - 2016-03-02 1:17 PM

It's my 60th this year and plan to drive to the south of France and hire a boat (Franceafloat)

I've been looking on line to find the best section to see the most interesting Villages etc. Without much luck.

Has anyone hired a boat and has some info they'd like to share, I'd be most grateful

Den

I think the most picturesque parts of the Canal du Midi are in the southern parts.

I've not hired a boat down there, but when we were there in September ( camped in Montech ) a lot of the canal was blocked with fallen trees after very fierce storms. They were actively clearing the debris ( a huge task ).

Hopefully the job is finished now but it might be worth checking that the length of canal that you propose to visit, is all cleared.

We use bikes along the towpaths - but couldn't even do that in several places.

Have a good trip.

;-)

My hubby often goes on his cycle and camps . The best parts to our mind are the south .Carcassone. Homp . Sete . Beziere. .. I would try and get somewhere like carcassone . Carcassone is beautiful . The whole canal is only about 180 miles . The marinas are beautiful but travelling at around 5 miles an hour there will be only so much you can do . Sorry I tried.

Thank you for the response.

The canal is clear of all those trees blown down in the storm.

The places mentioned by Michele are.on the section I'd looked at. Just don't want to get it rong. I cam imagine turning round and someone saying, if only!!!

I've been putting off booking and keep looking. But I think I may book tomorrow.

Funny enough, I've been looking at the Linsenn 30.9AC

So close to booking, but want to get it right.

Boat looks smart and the company answer all my queries quickly.

We've admired the boats when MH'ing on many occasions.

Den

The Linnsens are beautifully built Dutch steel boats at the top end of the market, the company you are talking to are Agents for Linnsen and sell them as well as having a hire fleet. I like the sedan but that's just personal preference B-)

Archived