sikaflex

Pete-B

Yes, it is very strong stuff, never attached a solar panel with it, but many other things, including a roof vent wind deflector, which is still in place 8 years later. Wouldn't the proper roof brackets be better ? They of course could be attached with Sikaflex 512. To save from drilling.

Plenty of people on forums seem to swear by the stuff...but personally I'd say best try it out first. So if using brackets, maybe just "stick" one in position and see how that goes? (if it sticks, great, if it peels off, then you've lost nowt...)

The reason for this caution, is that having successfully used it in the past, it failed miserably when I tried using it to fasten/seal a couple of "plastic" MPK mushroom vents...The sika just didn't want know the "plastic" of the vents at all (and it had only been the interior trim holding them on!) :-S

Possible that some types of plastic are incompatible ? But in my experience I have never found any. Just make sure that all surfaces have no traces of any kinds of polish, clean with alcohol to be sure, and slightly roughened surfaces that are to be stuck together. AND use only genuine Sikaflex 512 that is within its use by date.

Rayjsj - 2016-03-03 11:51 AM

Possible that some types of plastic are incompatible ? But in my experience I have never found any. Just make sure that all surfaces have no traces of any kinds of polish, clean with alcohol to be sure, and slightly roughened surfaces that are to be stuck together. AND use only genuine Sikaflex 512 that is within its use by date.

Just to clarify...The, genuine, Sika' 512 was in date, all surfaces were thoroughly prep'd (roughed and cleaned with panel-wipe) and the weather was lovely and warm.. ;-)

I was as surprised(and disappointed) as anyone when it didn't want to "stick" to these quite commonplace "plastic" mushroom vents..

..so, I'd still rather find out how successful, or not, it's going to be before it's having to retain something like a solar panel ;-)

Thanks for the replies, yes, I am using brackets, the panel came already fitted with full width aero brackets at each end.

I know we shouldn't always count the costs but my local dealer is doing a weekend special and offering 10% off everything so I thought about getting a tube! When I asked one of the lads what they use in the workshop he told me they always use 512 after roughening the surface and cleaning with brake cleaner.

Guidance from SIKA here - Sikaflex-252 is recommended.

https://sikaflexit.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/how-to-install-a-solar-panel-to-the-roof-of-your-caravan/

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Sika%20Sikaflex%20252%20Adhesive%20SIKA252.pdf

http://www.uksealants.co.uk/downloads/Sikaflex-512-Technical-data-Sheet.pdf

As SIKA advise, it’s imperative that there’s an adequate thickness of adhesive between the two surfaces to be bonded together.

My own experience of using this type of product is (as pepe63 discovered) that adhesion to some surfaces can be unpredictable. For example, using the adhesive to seal joins between the plastic walls of a shower compartment will produce a perfectly waterproof joint, but removing the cured adhesive from the joint may prove fairly easy (or not!)

Archived