Moisture Content

cleddytanhouse

I have yet another leak in the shower room area. It is a water supply and not a waste water leak, that allows water to drip furiously through the floor onto the ground.

I am concerned about what damage this could be doing to the floor etc and have purchased a moisture meter.

Does anyone know what % reading is ok and what is not ok?

If the leak is fixed and the area left to dry out (possibly aided by gentle heat or a dehumidifier) the damage will be minimised. The moisture content will then fall back to a stable condition. That will reduce the chance of rot more than taking moisture content readings.

Because timber is hygroscopic ie it is always losing and gaining water, 20-22% would be considered to be the maximum. Ideally the construction wood should be around 10% or lower. It will vary slightly according to the time of year, weather, environment etc.

Freshly sawn timber will dry naturally down to about 20-22% and will be considered to be rot resistant. If heat is applied as in a kiln it is possible to get it down to about 3-5%.

If your moisture content is higher than 20% you must dry it out as Brian suggest and cure the source of the leak. Once the moisture content reduces you should have no problems with rot.

Probably when your van was built the timber components would be about 10% or less

I agree with John P.

In the 90's when I had two Swifts with damp problems, the dealer told me readings over 20% had to be referred to Swift and generally anything over 25% triggered a warranty claim. Between these figures, there was a watching brief.

The guidance notes used by my Hymer dealer in 2014 say that readings up to 15% are not a cause for concern, up to 20% need investigating and over 20% may require additional work, whilst above 30% structural damage may be occurring. My readings were between 7% and 13%.

cleddytanhouse - 2016-03-03 3:57 PM

The dealer has tried to cure the leak once, but, it has not worked. The van is only 10 months old and the dealer is going to try again in 6 weeks time!!!!!

Too slow! Talk to Autotrail and explain what has happened, and ask them whether they are happy with this delay. The dealer is presumably trying to get his newly delivered vans prepared for waiting customers. I just hink he has his priorities wrong, and is being somewhat complacent.

The weather is getting warmer, and certain rot spores are very choosy about the conditions they favour. In enclosed spaces moisture dries out quite slowly so, although it will eventually drop back to about the 20% mark, it may not fall by much during the next six weeks and trouble could begin.

I'd be inclined to ask AT to press the dealer in their own interests, since the longer the dealer delays, the greater the potential warranty cost for a proper remedy. If they don't agree to put a fizzer up the dealer, I think you may need to write formally to both, quoting the vehicle build number, and telling them that you are unhappy with the way they are handling your warranty claim.

Water ingress, in a new van, from any source, should be treated as a matter requiring urgent attention. It is in everyone's interests to get it fixed quickly.

Archived