Phone sat navs

Billggski

Just bought a new(ish) car, and found I can programme my journeys on the sat nav before I set off from my phone or iPad, sitting at home. I can even check where it is, what the temperature is, how much fuel is in and so on.

I can put destinations and way points in for a month ahead.

My son uses his phone instead of a dedicated sat nav, and I expect this is the way it will go, no need to buy a sat nav, updates and traffic are changed instantly.

The future?

How ever did we manage before all this clever kit invented solutions for problems that we never knew we had?

Personally I find a sat nav makes a better sat nav than a phone and a camera makes a better camera than a phone and a phone makes a better phone than either of them so i will carry on with my horses for courses theory if for no better reason than it works well for me!

Good luck to all those that enjoy all this techno wotnot but I still prefer the keep it simple approach - and at least when the phone packs up I can still find my way home and photograph it along the way!

malc d - 2016-03-03 4:13 PM

I just wonder what will happen if / when freak world wide weather conditions cut off the GPS signals from satellites and no-one in the ' developed ' world has any idea where they are.

;-)

I will because I have something called 'A Road Atlas'.

I'm afraid that I don't have the time to explain exactly what it is and what it does. You will need to google it. ;-)

I've used my Lumia phone around the world without having to pay extra for maps, having a fast processor and using both GPS and GLOSNASS makes it very accurate, fast to find position, and able to pick up a signal where TomTom strugles, down side is can't add 3rd party POI's, although I guess I could use another app. I do still use TomTom in van esp. as new one has free european traffic and speed camera updates with no data charges.

BUT, I still like to sit down and look at a map.

Never had a dedicated satnav because I'm too mean to buy one. The OH loves her maps and has navigated us all over Europe for 3 decades.

However, a couple of years ago I bought a cheap Hudl tablet and loaded CoPilot. We now live in close harmony with the satnav competing amicably with the traditional navigating skills.

It does make the last part of the journey (trying to find the aire or campsite) less stressful.

Also used CoPilot for walking routes to the nearest town.

So, if you have a tablet with GPS or a smart phone, why not take advantage of the benefits ? What's not to like !!!

Archived