EHIC111

Len Salisbury

Len Salisbury - 2016-03-04 10:00 AM

Although I put a post up regarding EHIC 111 I see no response so have put it under its own thread.

What will happen if we leave the EU will this card become Defunct?

You need to ask the government.

But the " stay in" crowd will say yes and the " leave " crowd will say no.

It's just one of those consequences which have not yet been explained.

I would assume that it would be defunct - but that is only an opinion.

;-)

After a short burst of Googling I see that it is valid in one or two countries that are not in the EU ( Norway - Switzerland ) so possibly we might be able to negotiate an arrangement similar to theirs.

I would anticipate that the EHIC agreement would be replaced with individual bi-lateral agreements between us and as many countries who would see it as mutually beneficial, and lapse between countries who we either do not want to be involved with or who do not want to be involved with us.

If we vote out then I suspect that we will not know until towards the end of the two year withdrawal period.

Just another consideration in the in v out debate.

yoko8pups - 2016-03-04 10:58 AM

Just one of the great unanswered questions! Unless we start to get some information soon I'm afraid that people will vote with their hearts and have no clear idea of the consequences.

You will not receive reliable information as the REMAINERS - ie Cameron - has effectively prevented the OUTERS from receiving information and briefing from civil servants. All we are getting - and are likely to get - is a continuation of PROJECT FEAR from the REMAINERS and rebuttals from the OUTERS. At the end of the day each of us will have to make up our minds and go with our gut feelings. I know which way I'm voting.

yoko8pups - 2016-03-04 10:58 AMJust one of the great unanswered questions! Unless we start to get some information soon I'm afraid that people will vote with their hearts and have no clear idea of the consequences.

There are clearly lots of uncertainties about both staying in and leaving the EU and unfortunately the polarised opinions being expressed by the politicians and celebrities are merely opinions.

In our General Elections lots for people vote in the same way which they have always done (i.e.following their heart if you want to put it that way) and only a minority are floating voters, who are more likely to examine the issues.  The extra dimension in the case of this Referendum is that the traditional felt/right polarisation of our left-and-right-of-centre politics doesn't apply.  Voting with the heart might turn out to mean taking a wild guess.

and will it be back to duty free limits, ie 1 bottle sprits 2 bottles of wine 200 ciggies etc. Green card for vehicle insurance, visa applications for holidays and entry to the eu.oh what a can of worms for travellers this could be. :'( :'(

foxy - 2016-03-04 8:06 PM

and will it be back to duty free limits, ie 1 bottle sprits 2 bottles of wine 200 ciggies etc. Green card for vehicle insurance, visa applications for holidays and entry to the eu.oh what a can of worms for travellers this could be. :'( :'(

Agree, can't remember when I last bought wine in the UK. Currently, you are virtually allowed an infinite amount of wine, spirits or tabacco products, providing they are for your own consumption.

Leave the EU and the government will most likely impose the original duty free limits, mainly to curtail white van man profiteering from illegal tabacco sales.

In France you can purchase a 3 litre box of reasonable quality wine for £6. In UK supermarket the same product is sold for £15. Taking into account differing taxation rates, Rip-off-Britain must still be making a healthy profit.

Our EU purchases help make our pension go further. On that basis alone it's an IN vote for us. But on the other hand, better control of our borders is desirable by opting OUT. Like many, we are sitting on the fence at the moment.

yoko8pups - 2016-03-04 10:58 AM

Just one of the great unanswered questions! Unless we start to get some information soon I'm afraid that people will vote with their hearts and have no clear idea of the consequences.

In 2011 there was a national referendum regarding an alternative voting system. There was a 41% turnout and a near-70% vote for no change to the historic system. The proposed alternative voting system wasn’t that hard to understand and the effects of opting for it were predictable (and, of course, only applied to the UK). Despite this people overwhelmingly voted to retain the status quo, because that’s what people (quite sensibly) tend to do.

The implications and the effects of Brexit are (literally) unpredictable. The issue is horribly complex and the aftermath of a Brexit referendum 'Leave the EU’ vote would involve not just the UK.

Voting for Brexit is like being offered the choice of making a parachute-jump, but being aware that there’s no way of knowing that the parachute will function and that there’s a fair likelihood that it won’t (and that - if you do decide to make the jump - there’s no reserve ‘chute if your main parachute fails). Even Jesus, when tempted by the Devil in the wilderness, chose not to jump from the top of the temple.

Presumably “Daily Mail” readers will vote for Brexit because Princess Diana was killed in France, but I’ll vote for the UK to stay in the EU because my experience is that change usually means pain and, like Robbo, I’m fond of buying wine cheaply abroad.

"Voting for Brexit is like being offered the choice of making a parachute-jump, but being aware that there’s no way of knowing that the parachute will function and that there’s a fair likelihood that it won’t ".

The same could be said if we remained in the EU. We have no idea how the EU will further integrate remembering that we voted originally for a free trade deal. We must also consider the implications of the migrant crisis as those who are already within the EU and those that will come will ultimately after a qualifying period be entitled to claim EU citizenship and be entitled to EU passports meaning they can move anywhere. The pull factors of the UK - language, the introduction of the living wage, Benefits, housing and employment - might be too great a temptation for many to resist. The fact that we are unable to deport criminals and undesirables back from whence they came for fear of contravening the Human Rights Act is another aspect of EU nonsense as indeed is the fact that my democratically elected government is being constantly overruled by the eurocrats.

Whichever way we vote we are all taking a leap in the dark but the referendum is far too important to let cheap wine and an EHIC card to influence me.

Muswell - 2016-03-05 10:19 AM

Farage convinced me that it would be best to stay in :-D

But if we do vote to stay in, just imagine how unbearably smug Cameron is going to be - no doubt claiming that our decision was all down to him - ( no ifs, no buts ).

;-)

I am a "leaver" we managed for thousands of years without an EU so I guess we might manage a bit longer!

The EH1C is only for emergency treatment anyway and some countries make it difficult to get even that (Spain for one). Since we all have proper health insurance (we DO don't we 8-) ) the EH1C is of little importance.

H

Billggski - 2016-03-05 2:02 PM

I don't think the "thousands of years" is quite right.

We have a German royal family, it was Dutch before that, William the Conquerer was French of Scandinavian descent.

I think it was the Romans who invented the EU, but you didn't get a choice of whether or not to join.

Muswell - 2016-03-05 2:40 PM

Billggski - 2016-03-05 2:02 PM

I don't think the "thousands of years" is quite right.

We have a German royal family, it was Dutch before that, William the Conquerer was French of Scandinavian descent.

I think it was the Romans who invented the EU, but you didn't get a choice of whether or not to join.

Surely it was the Germans. They seized control of Europe without a single shot being fired.

The question of reciprocal health agreements will be one of many issues to be negotiated.

AS far as buying wine is concerned, do we really think the likes of France Germany Italy etc will start to ration the Brits as regards the amount we buy after having many years of putting loads of money into their economies in exchange for cheaper booze?> Another issue for negotiation.

And as far as voting is concerned, shouldn't we dispense with thinking about what will benefit the individual in the short term, and vote for what we believe will be better for the country our kids and grand kids in the long term?

and btw if we're going to start an in-out debate shall we have a separate thread???

Hi all, just to make my position clear, I do not like being ruled by a "Government" that I did not get a chance to vote in. But at this time I have not been convinced one way or the other. But to read in this blog that people do not like to do without their cheap wine, (add the cost of the ferry and the fuel to get at this cheap wine) as an excuse to leave beggars belief as an excuse to leave. Just my opinium of course. "A"

athiest - 2016-03-05 8:02 PM

Hi all, just to make my position clear, I do not like being ruled by a "Government" that I did not get a chance to vote in.

I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

But the same thing applies to me if we DO leave.

I live in a constituency which is an extremely safe Tory seat - and always has been. Although I do always vote ( and not always the same way ) I am aware that most of the time my vote is a complete waste of time.

Under our voting system the same thing applies in any " safe " seat.

From the standpoint of ' who rules us ' it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me whether we are in our out of the EU as I can't influence either of the two parliaments.

So, the issue of ' who rules ' will not seriously influence my vote in the referendum

;-)

"From the standpoint of ' who rules us ' it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me whether we are in our out of the EU as I can't influence either of the two parliaments".

Very true but at least you have a chance (however remote) to influence your MP.

Mike88 - 2016-03-05 9:02 PM

"From the standpoint of ' who rules us ' it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me whether we are in our out of the EU as I can't influence either of the two parliaments".

I would rate my chances of influencing my M.P. or the European Parliament

about the same - i.e. equally remote.

;-)

malc d - 2016-03-05 9:35 PM

Mike88 - 2016-03-05 9:02 PM

I would rate my chances of influencing my M.P. or the European Parliament

about the same - i.e. equally remote.

;-)

Do you know the name of your MEP? I don't know the name of mine and doubt whether many on here could name theirs either.

Some very interesting points raised.

Personally i don't think loss of the EHIC card will make a scrap of difference assuming we come out. Insurance companies will see it as an excuse to hike up their prices but that's about all. The unlimited (personal consumption only) duty free will almost certainly go and HMRC will have "bonus payments" of each amount of loot they grab. I expect wine and beer to carry on unhindered though as UK is more obsessed over tobacco. People have always been able to bring wine/beer in by the truck load "it's for a party guv", but the same can't be said for tobacco.

Green card for most European countries won't happen. Switzerland has never been an EU country and green card has never been required to travel there.

One thing which is 100% guaranteed if UK leaves, France will tell UK the British border starts on UK soil and not French......and one hell of a lot of "outers" will NOT like that one bit. Dover will have the migrant problem to deal with then. Hollande has already made that pretty much crystal clear.

That part ^^ will be fun to watch for me as i personally know a few friends who want out, but have major issues with migrants......and they refuse to accept this would happen.

Bulletguy - 2016-03-05 11:33 PM

One thing which is 100% guaranteed if UK leaves, France will tell UK the British border starts on UK soil and not French......and one hell of a lot of "outers" will NOT like that one bit. Dover will have the migrant problem to deal with then. Hollande has already made that pretty much crystal clear.

That part ^^ will be fun to watch for me as i personally know a few friends who want out, but have major issues with migrants......and they refuse to accept this would happen.

The border could be moved to the UK irrespective of whether we leave the EU as that is subject to separate arrangements under the Le Touquet agreement and has nothing to do with EU membership.

However, when I get on a ferry to France or on a plane to anywhere the ferry company and airline operator check my passport. No passport means no travel. Even if migrants have passports then the UK could easily introduce a visa programme along the lines of the Australian system meaning the government and not the EU determines who comes to the UK.

Mike88 - 2016-03-05 10:01 PM

Do you know the name of your MEP? I don't know the name of mine and doubt whether many on here could name theirs either.

This early on a Sunday morning I can't even remember the name of my MP .

I should do - he will be there until he retires.

;-)

Archived