EHIC111

Len Salisbury

hallii - 2016-03-05 11:11 AM

I am a "leaver" we managed for thousands of years without an EU so I guess we might manage a bit longer!

The EH1C is only for emergency treatment anyway and some countries make it difficult to get even that (Spain for one). Since we all have proper health insurance (we DO don't we 8-) ) the EH1C is of little importance.

H

I had proper insurance. when my wife was taken ill in spain, she was admitted to clinica Benidorm, when I informed the insurance co, they advised me that she should not be in a private hospital but in the public one as Spains hospitals are as good as ours and that I should use My ehic card. So it is advisable to read the terms of your insurance for Europe in detail.

foxy - 2016-03-06 11:44 AM

hallii - 2016-03-05 11:11 AM

I am a "leaver" we managed for thousands of years without an EU so I guess we might manage a bit longer!

The EH1C is only for emergency treatment anyway and some countries make it difficult to get even that (Spain for one). Since we all have proper health insurance (we DO don't we 8-) ) the EH1C is of little importance.

H

I had proper insurance. when my wife was taken ill in spain, she was admitted to clinica Benidorm, when I informed the insurance co, they advised me that she should not be in a private hospital but in the public one as Spains hospitals are as good as ours and that I should use My ehic card. So it is advisable to read the terms of your insurance for Europe in detail.

I have raised this issue with my insurance company. When possible you must use public hospitals but where there is no alternative you are able to use private hospitals after consultation with your insurance company. There are many areas in Spain where public hospitals do not exist.

In the case of Benidorm Brits are required to use the public hospital in Villajosa. I know of a case where a Brit entered the Villajosa facility. The first question asked is do you have insurance. When she answered yes she was turned away and told to use a private hospital. On speaking to the insurance company she was chastised by the insurance company for admitting she had insurance. Apparently she should have said no.

Eventually she was treated at the public facility on condition she left her credit card imprint. She was charged for tests and X Rays (and possibly food) and then had to claim from the NHS when she returned home. The insurance was completely useless. This might have been an isolated example of how things can go wrong but does illustrate how insurance companies wriggle out of paying up when policyholder ask for help.

All this messing about is not ideal if you are ill.

I and Partner both received tratment lasy year using EHIC. My hospital treatment was for an in growing toe nail in a small town in Czech Republic. Within half an hour of arriving I had the op and it was brilliant. Never looked back since. Helen my partner spent 5 days in hospital with a stomach problem. Again EHIC came to the rescue and the service excellent. This was in Spain.

When we went to Belgium last September in the MH she fell whilst out shopping and taken to hospital in Lier and it was confirmed she had broken her Femur. A plate and two screws later she was repaired. Although we showed EHIC they also asked if we had Travel Insurance which we had. Nat West. The bills finally came through including a recent one for about 1500 euros which we sent off to Nat West. Job done.

Mike88 - 2016-03-06 8:20 AM

The border could be moved to the UK irrespective of whether we leave the EU as that is subject to separate arrangements under the Le Touquet agreement and has nothing to do with EU membership.

Yes i know it is. It could have been moved years ago.....but never was because it suits UK. If we leave then France will (rightly imo) rip up the agreement and tell UK to get off their soil. My belief is France is already making preparation should we exit the EU by the recent demolition of "the Jungle" at Calais. After all, they could have done that some time ago but never did. The timing is more than coincidental.

However, when I get on a ferry to France or on a plane to anywhere the ferry company and airline operator check my passport. No passport means no travel. Even if migrants have passports then the UK could easily introduce a visa programme along the lines of the Australian system meaning the government and not the EU determines who comes to the UK.

Yes because that's simply a passport check at the ticket booths and not Border control. Our Border control is in France, not UK. Passport checks are done in UK.

If you flew to the US or Canada you need a passport and visa to get on the plane but wouldn't pass through Border control until you arrived within that country. A relative of mine was US resident but flew regularly between here and US. He went through Border control every time.....on returning back to the US.

Mike88 - 2016-03-06 12:02 PM

I have raised this issue with my insurance company. When possible you must use public hospitals but where there is no alternative you are able to use private hospitals after consultation with your insurance company. There are many areas in Spain where public hospitals do not exist.

In the case of Benidorm Brits are required to use the public hospital in Villajosa. I know of a case where a Brit entered the Villajosa facility. The first question asked is do you have insurance. When she answered yes she was turned away and told to use a private hospital. On speaking to the insurance company she was chastised by the insurance company for admitting she had insurance. Apparently she should have said no.

Eventually she was treated at the public facility on condition she left her credit card imprint. She was charged for tests and X Rays (and possibly food) and then had to claim from the NHS when she returned home. The insurance was completely useless. This might have been an isolated example of how things can go wrong but does illustrate how insurance companies wriggle out of paying up when policyholder ask for help.

All this messing about is not ideal if you are ill.

That doesn't surprise me at all i'm afraid.

Bulletguy - 2016-03-06 1:13 PM

Mike88 - 2016-03-06 8:20 AM

Yes because that's simply a passport check at the ticket booths and not Border control. Our Border control is in France, not UK. Passport checks are done in UK.

I doubt very much whether I would be allowed to board a ferry ( or plane) without a passport as that would result in heavy fines for the operator meaning in practice the border will remain in France.

You are always better to use the EHIC111 first, because you will get most of the cost back. With travel insurance you always have to pay the excess which is rarely less than £100.

I've never ever come to the logic of having to pay an excess. If you are agreeing to buy something, why is there a penalty. Surely it should be built in in with the cost of the product. I look at it as a fine for using something you have already paid up front for, which most people will never use.

Dave

Mike88 - 2016-03-06 1:55 PM

I doubt very much whether I would be allowed to board a ferry ( or plane) without a passport as that would result in heavy fines for the operator meaning in practice the border will remain in France.

You won't and never have been...that's what i said re. passport. Border control however is something else and normally at the point of entry in every country. But we have our "point of entry" for both UK and European citizens coming to the UK in France on French soil. It should be at Dover and that's where it's going to go if we leave the EU. Dover Port won't know what the hell has hit them.

I used the US and Canada as a similar example. Each time my cousin returned back to the US he went through passport control here in the UK to get on the plane, but only on landing in the US did he go through their Border control. It makes sense......that's the point of entry. Their land, their territory, their laws. They don't have the same jurisdiction on UK soil.

Bulletguy - 2016-03-06 4:26 PM

Mike88 - 2016-03-06 1:55 PM

You won't and never have been...that's what i said re. passport. Border control however is something else and normally at the point of entry in every country. But we have our "point of entry" for both UK and European citizens coming to the UK in France on French soil. It should be at Dover and that's where it's going to go if we leave the EU. Dover Port won't know what the hell has hit them.

I used the US and Canada as a similar example. Each time my cousin returned back to the US he went through passport control here in the UK to get on the plane, but only on landing in the US did he go through their Border control. It makes sense......that's the point of entry. Their land, their territory, their laws. They don't have the same jurisdiction on UK soil.

I don't understand your main point although I do accept your border control comment. But my point is that a migrant would not be allowed to get on a ferry in the first place as the ticketing office on the French side would not allow anyone to board without a passport meaning a migrant would have to stay in France. There are heavy fines for operators that do not comply. That being the case I don't understand how the port of Dover "wont know what the hell has hit them".

I've been to the USA quite a lot and I suspect you have misunderstood their way of doing things.

Their visa waver system forces pre-clearance before boarding a plane and boarding also requires possession of a passport - but they reserve the right to refuse entry when you are screened at the port of entry, in which case they simply pass you back to the airline to be returned to your starting place.  You never entered the USA at all and by using the visa waiver system, you signed away your rights to apply for asylum, so that does not arise.

The Americans have plenty of space to hold foreign travellers up for an hour or more while they take their hard-nosed approach at the airports.  Their bigger problem of control is along the Mexican border.

The problem we would have in Dover (and other points of entry) if the French ended the present system of border control is that the migrants would claim asylum on arrival and then the asylum rules kick in.  If they had a passport they might well have destroyed it by then, so we have nowhere to send them back to anyway. 

The French would however have the new problem of screening everyone entering France from UK much more closely, to stop the undesirables getting back into France, which currently they don't need to bother with.  They might therefore prefer to maintain the current system, which imposes most of the work on the Brits.

As you say there would be chaos at Dover, where the Port area is far to cramped to set up an effective and secure border control avenue.

Mike88 - 2016-03-06 5:00 PM

I don't understand your main point although I do accept your border control comment. But my point is that a migrant would not be allowed to get on a ferry in the first place as the ticketing office on the French side would not allow anyone to board without a passport meaning a migrant would have to stay in France. There are heavy fines for operators that do not comply. That being the case I don't understand how the port of Dover "wont know what the hell has hit them".

But the illegals don't present themselves at the border to have their passports checked - they hide away in lorries etc.

At the moment British border guards are over there turfing them out of the lorries before they get on ferries - hundreds, if not thousands are stopped every year.

If our border guards were sent back across the channel they would operate in Dover.

Having been turfed out of the lorries in Dover - where do they go ?

I doubt if increasing the fines on haulage companies would make much difference - except increasing the cost of transporting goods.

:-|

nowtelse2do - 2016-03-06 7:02 PM

malc d - 2016-03-06 5:18 PM

Having been turfed out of the lorries in Dover - where do they go ?

:-|

Back to France malc, on the same ferry they came on. Same goes if they had no passport (the French should have checked) No passport no entry.

Dave

That's the theory Dave - but you obviously haven't watched any daytime TV programmes about our immigration controls.

It seems that when illegal immigrants are found in this country they are asked nicely if they wouldn't mind reporting to a police station of their choice.

Surprisingly not all of them co-operate and go missing.

...... if your plan is successful . what happens if the French don't let them back into France ?

Ships stuck in ports = all sailings stop = infuriated motorhomers complaining on forums.

Chaos.

;-)

Archived