Storage Advise Please :-)

nigelF

Hello all,

ADVISE PLEASE :-)

SOLAR TRICKLE CHARGER & DIESEL BIOCIDE ADDITIVE

My MH is going into storage for the next 4-5 months. Now two things I need:

1. SOLAR CHARGER - Any recommendations. I'm looking at ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0080W5YVK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1NBZC2B1R3DX4

Battery is a Tungstone Titanium 019 12v

CCA SAE: 800amps

AH (20H): 90amps

2. DIESEL BIOCIDE ADDITIVE. I will top the tank up before leaving. Again any recommendations please?

http://www.siriusmarine.co.uk/diesel-additives/1/OneShot-Diesel-Bug-Biocide.html

Kind Regards,

Nigel

Nigel,

IMO the best option would be to remove both batteries from the MH and ask someone to charge them up with a good charger like a CTEK once a month.

Failing that, disconnect them once parked to prevent drain and then use a solar panel to keep them topped up. You will need one solar panel panel for each battery, do not connect them together to use one panel.

Now to the solar panel you linked to, it is only 4 Watts and the best you can ever expect to get from it is ONE THIRD of an AMP. Basically NOTHING!!! Any cloud or obstruction to direct sunlight and the output will fall.

Others may help with the minimum power of panel they deem suitable but I would think 4 W is not worth getting out of bed for!

Keith.

Save your money on the diesel biocide. Bugs generally appear when there's a nutrient such as rust in steel tanks. Assuming you have a plastic fuel tank, then this isn't an issue. Just need to make sure the diesel tank is as full as you can get it to reduce the air space in the tank and hence condensation which could lead to water/moisture in the fuel. If in doubt, take a look a t a few marine/boating forums to see how owners lay-up their mega expensive toys.

Our MH was laid up for 6 months and apart from topping up the diesel tank (and using solar panels), the engine started first time a few weeks ago. Happy days.

10w is pretty much the minimum you would need, but with solar panels at an all time low, last year I purchased a 40w panel for £40, you will need to add a regulator but £5 cheapo should suffice.

As for the tank, just fill it up and don't bother with a biocide.

nigelF - 2016-03-05 8:42 AM

Hi,

Many thanks to all for the info. I'll pass on the biocide then and just fill the tank up.

I've gone with 2 x 10w solar trickles for each battery. One via the cig socket and the leisure with croc clips. both with blocking diodes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0059U1B9K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Nigel :-)

As mentioned above the panel will not work direct into the cigarette lighter socket unless it is live which is most unusual. In any case you are wasting your money as the best option would be to simply disconnect the batteries.

2. DIESEL BIOCIDE ADDITIVE. I will top the tank up before leaving. Again any recommendations please?

http://www.siriusmarine.co.uk/diesel-additives/1/OneShot-Diesel-Bug-Biocide.html

Kind Regards,

Nigel

I would not be too keen on using biocides in my diesel tanks after my experience whilst a sea going Marine engineer. We once loaded diesel that was treated with biocides no problem you think but we had bugs in onboard diesel tanks That we did not know about so no problem for a few day then the biocides started to kill off the bugs which in turn blocked all the fuel filters causing the vessel to blackout. We got things going in the end but all fuel tanks were hot water washed and fuel lines all flushed out once back in port. This took days to fix so I would never use biocides this based on my experience.

I know they give you all these claims of stopping the bugs basically if you have them they don't cause any problems until you start killing them off the best thing is keep the tanks full and they don't breed.

Campbell

Archived